PDA

View Full Version : Why I should not ship out of the USA

JDP
01-02-2009, 11:50 PM
You'd think I'd learn by now, but I feel sorry for our members outside the US and sell to them on ebay. I must have lost over $100.00 in so doing. Once for refunding $55 in shipping for a $20.00 used fan to Australia that was "dented" and just today $22.00 in shipping for bezels that are probably still in transit to Australia, but was threatened with a negative report.

JDP/Maryland

55s
01-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm glad you didn't say Canada.

Unfortunately, disgruntled people can be found in any country, and the more people you have, the more there are.

Paul

Doug M
01-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks John I got the lark insterment bezel today they will look great in my 66 commander. great dealing with you. Doug M

avantilover
01-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Well, it cuts both ways, considering the clock I bought from you specifically asking you to send it to Barnlark which you ignored and posted it here. Nice clock, but it seems it won't fit my car. Never mind. If you would be so good as to provide postage cost for the windscreen bottle I just bought from you that would be nice and I could pay you.
If you'd rather not sell to me as an Australian please cancel the sale. I'm sure we're not all bad, but I suggest you stop "feeling sorry" for overseas buyers we don't need to be patronized.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31883343@N00/sets/72157607158071811/show/

8E45E
01-03-2009, 09:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Sounds like blackmail. Ridiculous. It takes awhile to get there, what do they expect? I've never left a negative feedback, but probably should have for one or two really sneaky sellers. I guess the new rules are not helping you sellers much.

I left negative feedback for one seller 'who refused to ship to Canada', even though I supplied him with a US address to send the item to. He would only answer with a 1-800 number which didn't work in Canada. After e-mailing him stating I could not get through, he still told me 'no sale' even though I gave him an address in ND.

Craig

StudeMichael
01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
This forum is starting to remind me of the old newsgroup!!!

1957 Packard Clipper
1958 Golden Hawk
1963 Daytona Convertible
1963 R2 Daytona
1963 R2 GT Hawk
1963 R1 Wagonaire
1963 R4 Avanti
1964 Champ
1966 Cruiser

58PackardWagon
01-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Australia is the most expensive country to ship to. Always attempt to fly it with terms FOB, CIF or EXW. This way you are not responsible for duties, taxes, clearance and delivery. Fly it door to airport and once it gets there, the receiver is liable for all of the destination charges. Also if someone does not have credit, ship it on a letter or credit or a sight draft. That way they do not get the product until your bank confirms that the money has cleared. Hope this helps. Take care

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
57 Packard Wagon parts car
57 Packard sedan parts car
58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

JDP
01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Well, it cuts both ways, considering the clock I bought from you specifically asking you to send it to Barnlark which you ignored and posted it here. Nice clock, but it seems it won't fit my car. Never mind. If you would be so good as to provide postage cost for the windscreen bottle I just bought from you that would be nice and I could pay you.
If you'd rather not sell to me as an Australian please cancel the sale. I'm sure we're not all bad, but I suggest you stop "feeling sorry" for overseas buyers we don't need to be patronized.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

I posted it to the address that you listed on Paypal before getting a e-mail to send it to the unauthorized for PayPal USA address.The bottle you won was just a solvent spare that mounts on the fender, not the washer bag or bottle like you thought. I don't want to ship you something half way around the planet that won't work for your purpose. BTW, I meant I feel sorry that it's harder to find parts outside the USA, and that's why I go through the trouble.
I just can't afford the return postage if you are not satisfied.

JDP/Maryland

JDP
01-03-2009, 12:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Sounds like blackmail. Ridiculous. It takes awhile to get there, what do they expect? I've never left a negative feedback, but probably should have for one or two really sneaky sellers. I guess the new rules are not helping you sellers much.

I left negative feedback for one seller 'who refused to ship to Canada', even though I supplied him with a US address to send the item to. He would only answer with a 1-800 number which didn't work in Canada. After e-mailing him stating I could not get through, he still told me 'no sale' even though I gave him an address in ND.

Craig

I once won a part for a guy in England that was faced with the same type of seller. I reshipped it to him without a issue.

JDP/Maryland

mbstude
01-03-2009, 01:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

This forum is starting to remind me of the old newsgroup!!!

I was thinking the same thing... [:o)]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/StudeDriveLogo_small.jpg

avantilover
01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, Australia may be an expensive place to send to, however if you work out shipping charges and get cleared payment before sending the item there is no worry. Paypal is probably the safest method.

My apologies to JDP for misconstruing his meaning. I have requested cancellation of the sale of the bottle I bought as I thought it was the washer bottle and this is of no value.

I may be requiring a pair of bucket seats and console for my Lark as I want more comfort than my bench gives me. If they can't be sourced here I'll let folks know. Have a restorer who can repair my doors so won't need to import any.

Am going to paint the car "Lark Grey" which is an Aussie color light Grey with a greenish tint, and a Maroon interior like my friend's Hawk. Will look good.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

2R5
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I just sent a package to Germany from here in Canada and it took 46 days ! I think the mailman musta swam [}:)]

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp-1.jpgHome of the Fried Green Tomato
"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
1964 Daytona HT

kurtruk
01-03-2009, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

You'd think I'd learn by now, ............. but was threatened with a negative report.

JDP/Maryland

Not intending too open a beehive here...
John,
It is commendable that you have preserved your 100% positive feedback rating (last time I checked) on eBay. But at what cost? No one would have any qualms doing business with you at 100%. One negative would give you 99.9% on several thousand transactions. I don't even think twice about doing business with some one at 98% feedback. Things happen, especially under the new feedback system.
Kinda like a 400 point showcar. Is it worth it?

KURTRUK
(read it backwards)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2617723594_889afb71cf_t.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2412/2267352617_720245049a_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2679715309_563ea85e42_m.jpg

63r2
01-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Having bought numerous Stude parts from ebay,vendors even JDP I have come to the concluson that USPS is the only way to ship to Australia. I infact won't purchase an item unless it can be sent by USPS. Any other way (fedex, UPS etc) results in us having to pay stamp duty,customs duty etc on top of our already poor exchange rate blowing out the cost of the purchase. USPS is cheap,reliable,usually takes a couple of weeks to turn up and does not attract any further charges.
What I find fascinating is that alot of US sellers will only post to US or Canada yet there is no extra work sending it anywhere in the world.
I even sent parts back to myself via USPS when I was in the US, it could not have been any easier.
As in every case get a quote for the shipping and add that to the cost of the item and no one is left short.
pb

Swifster
01-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm leary about Ebay anymore. I think buyers know that they can get sellers banned if the seller doesn't do what Ebay wants to satisfy a buyer. I have a set of Weld Wheels 30 spoke wheels that I want to sell, but one is bent. I believe the wheel to be repairable. Not that this wouldn't be explained, but even when stuff is explained, I've seen Ebay side with buyers at the expense of the seller.

The other problem is that Ebay likes to 'set' shipping charges. I've never charged anyone more than actual shipping, but now I feel I must look at listing a higher amount just to keep the moaning down. I wish another auction had the same amount of buyers without all the crap.

As for overseas shipping, I've only rarely done it. I've been fortunate that the buyers had a realistic idea of shipping time. I've bought from OZ a few times and just asked for a tracking number of some kind so I could track it, even if it cost more. I may make anything I ship sent with a shipper with tracking. I think this might eliminate the questions and shipping hassels with buyers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/rollingpi.gif http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/04-11-08CoolingFan.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
01-03-2009, 11:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by 63r2
USPS is cheap,reliable,usually takes a couple of weeks to turn up and does not attract any further charges.

So true. The ONLY way to ship to Canada from the US also IMHO.

I don't have near the number of transactions as JP, but I have had very good luck (knock on wood) selling to non-US buyers on eBay. Canada, Australia, Mexico, Italy, Finland, Norway, France, Switzerland...probably a few others. No fuss no muss. In fact, when the US dollar was in the toilet, non-US buyers were my best customers :).

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/finished044.jpg

52 Ragtop
01-04-2009, 12:51 AM
ALWAYS list the items as "Antique auto parts" I'm "told" the import duties are a lot less.
So far this year I have shipped to: Australia, Germany, France, South Africa. Sweden, and Switzerland. The US Post Office is the least expensive way! BUT, you had BETTER insure it! as they tend to "loose" things! I sent a brake kit and M/C kit to Australia last month, brake kit made it in 5 days, M/C kit ended up in Germany on vacation I guess! <G>

Jim

candbstudebakers
01-05-2009, 01:28 AM
I have sold and shipped out of the country more times than I can count and never a problem, most of it to Australia and New Zealand, over 50 cars and truck to Australia alone all since 2001 when I started selling on E-bay, some times it is a little more work but all in all it is worth it to have these people as buyers and friends.

avantilover
01-05-2009, 03:16 AM
I think it's really a matter of having those who know how the system works make the arrangements. There is an Aussie business in Orange County who arrange paperwork and load/unload the vehicle thereby smoothing the way, I would use them if I need to, such as if I have to import bucket seats for my Lark.

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

54-61-62
01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I'll be very honest. I really can understand JDP's thoughts.

I was checking my online banking statement this morning and the balance did not match up with my own tally sheet. There was a odd debit charged back to my account for $35.50

So I call my bank and it turns out that a money order that was sent to me for parts from a guy in Canada. I was told that the money order was not in a 'format' that US banks accept, so I got knocked $35.50 currency exchange fee on a $175 purchase of a rear axle assembly.

55s
01-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Although this isn't me, I can understand your frustration with banks "making up" bogus charges. This sounds like it is not the fault of the Canadian. I am sure that most Canadians would make up the charge, if legitimate. We pay extra $$ for money orders to ensure that there are not any additional charges. (I presume money order was in $US.)

Paul

JDP
01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
It's my own fault, all my auctions say ship to US only, but I fold like a tent when the guy really needs it.

JDP/Maryland

studebaker-R2-4-me
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
This was my money order I sent Kent. I paid an additional $6.50 to have the Postal Money Order made up in American Funds. At the current exchange rate the Axle cost me $225 CDN.

I have heard rumors of other problems with money orders before from other people. This will be the last one that I will send to the USA.

Utter Banking BS! I know the US banks are in trouble but this clearly something that is just wrong,... service charging their customers 20% of the total money order. It's like holding their customers for ransom. Looks like the bank robbers are not only on one side of the counter but behind them too!

I would have been way better off just sending Kent the money through Paypal. I would have gotten the same exchange rate and Kent would have had his money instantaneously.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/Side.jpg
1964 R2 GT Hawk
http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/th_IMGP0662-2.jpg
1963 Daytona Convertible
Oakville, Ontario.
Hamilton Chapter
See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009

gordr
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Money orders are getting to be a PITA! POSTAL money orders should be OK for smaller amounts, because the postal authorities of various countries do work together. But, increasingly, what happens with bank money orders is that the receiving bank sends them for "collection" to a U.S. branch of the foreign bank that originated the M.O., or lacking such a U.S. branch, to a major U.S. bank that "corresponds with" the originating bank.

It is getting so that PayPal, even with its problems, is becoming the only game in town for the non-commercial seller. Vendors who want to routinely sell out-of-country should bite the bullet and get a merchant account for VISA and/or Mastercard.

The best way that we, as buyers or sellers, can protect ourselves, is to COMMUNICATE, back and forth, until both parties are CLEARLY on the same page as regards method of payment, means of shipping, expected delivery date, and what to do if the goods arrive and don't meet expectations. Or fail to arrive, period. (It sounds like the issue described above, between JP and John was basically the result of mis-communication; neither party having acted in bad faith.)

And, just so you know, I've had buyers from the USA send me payment by domestic postal money orders, which can only be cashed in a U.S. Post Office. Fortunately, I make frequent enough visits that I can cash such M.O.s when I do get them.

Anybody here know if I, as a Canadian resident in Canada, can get a checking account at a U.S. Bank? I currently have a U.S. dollar checking account at my own bank, but they are changing the terms of the account such that all checks written on it now have to be "sent for collection" like the darn M.O.s, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having the account.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Desert Explorer
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I have done international transactions on ebay quite a bit, and it seems to be a matter of covering all of your bases in your shipping & Transaction description information. Disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer...... I add n new bit anytime I stumble on a problem I have not encountered before. Feel free to email me if you want a peek at what I put out there.

kurtruk
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

Anybody here know if I, as a Canadian resident in Canada, can get a checking account at a U.S. Bank?

From what I understand and see, immigrants can pretty much get anything they want in this country. :D[:p]

O.K. O.K. Just a little humor. Don't start going political!

KURTRUK
(read it backwards)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2617723594_889afb71cf_t.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2412/2267352617_720245049a_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2679715309_563ea85e42_m.jpg

gordr
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
"Whine, snivel, but I'm OK with staying here, Kurt." (other than the occasional visit, of course)

Golly! The weather warmed up today, from -30 to -5, and that's a HUGE improvement. Got the red Suburban started for the first time in a week. Woo-Hoo!

whacker
01-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Gord, Yes, you can get a checking account at a US bank as a Canadian Citizen. We will be glad to take your money, although the account will be demarcated in USD. You can even do your banking by mail, or you can use direct transfers. Soon you too can be complaining about US banks!

loc8tor
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Im with ya JDP, but I got burnt here in the states......
Sold 77 Trans Am hood decal, NOS GM in the tube....$388 w/shipping, guy paypal'd me after squabbling about the shipping costs......in the mean time truck breaks, I get a focus loaner, no way to shove a 15x15x64 inch box in that tghing, so I finally get a day off, and get it to the local Post Office, cant go priority to large....geeessss, ok send it regular mail, add a delivery confirmation, and insure it for $300, that was dec 20, a few days go by next thing ya know I get a hold on my paypal account because this butt head said he never recieved it, entered the deliv conf in paypals little box, and it sets there until today, paypal closed the dispute in favor of the buyer!!!!!!, I was like WHAT!, I checked the deliv conf, and it says it was accepted at my local PO, but nothing else, contacted the PO, they said it was shipped, and they said if it didnt have any other info the guy hasnt picked it up yet......so now what do I do?????
I contacted the buyer who by the way has 100% feedback, and have yet to hear from him, no replys to the PP posts or anything.....contacted paypal and their response was that I didnt provide delivery conf, I was like WHAT? isnt that the delivery confirmation number I typed in.....Also contacted eBay, but have not heard back, its not like the old days where you could actually leave bad feedback, HOWEVER, if he has his money he has never paid for it.....hmmmm, thats a thought I hadnt thought of.....any suggestions.......short of going to TEXAS and having my boot surgically removed from his backside?

hmmm, my Wife has 2 GT Hawks, and a 58 Silver Hawk(but whats hers is mine NOW, LOL)...But I still want my Daytona!