PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Meets

Mike N.
01-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Can anyone tell me why the large International meets always are during the week and only until 5 pm?
Actually a local person would even have to take off work or take vacation time in order to attend. Someone told me the SDC is a car club for retired guys?

JDP
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I understand the during the wekek problem, but the meet does not end at 5 PM. Most of the good stuff happens in parking light bull sessions, and at the bar.

JDP/Maryland

raprice
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
During the Internationl Meets, there are usually events happening at night, such as the welcome night, Cooperator session (during the day):), auction, band concert, awards dinner, etc.
You can participate as much or as little as you wish. Of course, there are always the bull sessions too.
I know I've left some things out, but you get the point. Theres a lot of stuff to do at these occasions.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
Smithtown,NY

studegary
01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Since they are International Conventions, they are planned for people coming from a distance, not the small minority of people coming from close by. There are chapter and Zone Meets on weekends for local people. For the International Conventions, people can travel on the two weekends and spend the week at the convention. This way most people only have to take one week off. If it was held over a weekend, most people would have to take two weeks vacation. For the week of the SDC International Convention I am usually on the go from about 7 AM to Midnight from Monday to Friday. There are so many things going on that you can't do everything. I have been to the majority of SDC International Conventions since 1971. It does not sound as though you have much experience at them or haven't given them a chance to keep you busy.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

4961Studebaker
01-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I think buried in his question is the question of.

Can a non member who happens to be in the local area attend some of the meets events. Like say the judging of the cars which are typically done on a Thursday. Swap meets, can he get a feel for the membership before commiting?
Typically a Club event doesn't allow outside participation but does SDC? for certain things?
And through this forums own admission an International Meet is the largest gathering of Studes in one given year,
Which also feeds the information gathering of Mike N to ask why the "convention" format of Monday through Friday.

I may be way off with my interpretation of the question but that's how I read it.

To newer membership......PROTOCALL....Fitting in......and Expectation can be a bit hazy without a Vetern guide.
With such a Veteran membership attending an International meet its sometimes not conveyed to newer members what it is that can be done at an International meet.

Those that know....know.

While there is an itenterary, a novice member may not know what the high points of the meet are....while attending, or deciding what day to come.

ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

Anne F. Goodman
01-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Even Attending an International Meet for the first time can be intimidating. David and I were members for 6 years before we went to one. Chose Omaha to go to from Fresno. Thought combine a visit with his Brother. Well David thought One maybe two days at Omaha would be enough. Well truth be told you need everyday to meet and see as much as you can take in. We had to leave Thursday morning. Boy I wasn't a happy camper. But everyone Welcomed us with open arms. Member or not if you like Studes want to like Studes want to see Studes then you are a Member of us. Just need to make it Official.

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
1955 President State
1957 Golden Hawk
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/xmasannecopy.jpghttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/GusMater.jpghttp://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/th_DSCN17232008-01-01.jpg

sals54
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I have to agree somewhat to his comment about the club being for retired guys. I've been battling that in my local club for 30 years. Only recently have they started having any number of local meetings on Saturday instead of Sunday. My Sundays are always booked for family time. I have not joined the local chapter for that reason. I'm only now considering joining so I can participate on the occasional Saturday meetings. Sometimes entrenched Stude people can be immovable.

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

Dick Clemens
01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Our Iternational Meets are like any number of union conventions or business conventions. We plan for them and arrange our vacations around the Meets. I am retired but still work a full time job, but I make arangments to attend the meets. Have been a member of SDC for 41 years, have only attended 5 International meets, but since I have found out how much fun and interesting they are my plan is not to miss anther one. Thanks to all the friends I have made thru the forum and at the meets I am HOOKED. Thank you all and a very happy new year to all of you.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

58PackardWagon
01-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Mike I used to think the same early on and I was wrong. Also one doesn't have to own an Avanti to "belong" to the club. You can show up with a rusty Lark (I have many, many times) and others will not think differently of you. I too am young and over the past 5 years have noticed an increasing number of individuals my age attending these events. It is a ton of fun and have always felt welcomed with open arms by all.

Because it is a moving event from City to City each year, I highly suggest that one takes vacation time to truly enjoy this event. Go early if you are looking for parts or want to take pics of cars and stay late to unwind and enjoy some good food and great conversation.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
57 Packard Wagon parts car
57 Packard sedan parts car
58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Avantidon
01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Mike, the SDC's International Meets are held through the week as they are week long events with much to do. Many of the evnts are open to the general public as they were in Lancaster this past fall. Since the meet is sponsored by the SDC and in some cases other related clubs such as ASC and AOAI, some of the evnts are for members only. That doesn't mean one can't wonder the parking lots and look at cars and talk to owners. As someone said earlier this event moves around the country each year so we the members of SDC get the opportunity to visit different parts of the country meet our friends and have a great time. Membership in the SDC is a very low $19.95 for the first year and worth every penny of it. Many families make an SDC International their vacation for the year and many members are not retired but choose to come and have fun. If you are referring to the Swap Meet and seminars etc, those that put them own or vend need a break also and want to participate in some of the evening events so the 1700 (5:000 PM) time is established for that reason. Bottom line come join us and join in the fun. I for one am not retired yet I attend these week long events all the time.

Dick Steinkamp
01-02-2009, 11:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mike N.

Can anyone tell me why the large International meets always are during the week and only until 5 pm?
Actually a local person would even have to take off work or take vacation time in order to attend. Someone told me the SDC is a car club for retired guys?

I tend to agree with Mike.

I believe one way we could boost interest in Studebakers and the club is to have AT LEAST our concours on a Saturday or Sunday and ADVERTISE the fact with local car clubs, local print advertising, etc. A local wandering around on a Tuesday evening after work gets to see a tiny portion of the cars that will be on the show grounds Thursday when he's at work. Same with the swap meet. There are essentially no swap meet activities on a weekend day or after 5 pm. Getting folks in the local area to come out and see our cars and everything that goes with them could get renewed interest going in Studebakers.

I know the old argument about vacations, but I think it's more of an argument that "we've always done it this way". We pretty much ARE a club of old farts and changing ANYTHING is somewhat traumatic.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/finished044.jpg

monomaniac
01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
"We pretty much ARE a club of old farts and changing ANYTHING is somewhat traumatic." - Steinkamp

How did you get over to the computer, Dick, to type out this response? I thought they took away your walker.

studegary
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I have attended the majority of SDC Conventions since 1971. I am now retired, but I was working full time for most of those SDC Conventions. I used to take vacation time to attend.
Many of those carrying the load (both paid and volunteer) in SDC are individuals that have been highly involved 30 or 40 years. Most of these people are middle aged or older now, but weren't when they first started taking on responsibility in SDC. They were young people then. Where are the young members that should be picking up the leadership roles now (Matthew excepted). A good example is that last year's meet head is the same guy that was meet head in 1980. Another example is that the current SDC President was SDC President in 1981-1982.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Mike N.
01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Mike N.

I tend to agree with Mike.

I believe one way we could boost interest in Studebakers and the club is to have AT LEAST our concours on a Saturday or Sunday and ADVERTISE the fact with local car clubs, local print advertising, etc. A local wandering around on a Tuesday evening after work gets to see a tiny portion of the cars that will be on the show grounds Thursday when he's at work. Same with the swap meet. There are essentially no swap meet activities on a weekend day or after 5 pm. Getting folks in the local area to come out and see our cars and everything that goes with them could get renewed interest going in Studebakers.

I know the old argument about vacations, but I think it's more of an argument that "we've always done it this way". We pretty much ARE a club of old farts and changing ANYTHING is somewhat traumatic.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/finished044.jpg

That is it exactly Dick!
I think the swap meet and the car show are the two biggest events the average spectator would be interested in and neither is very accessible to the average person. After hours stuff is fine but I'm talking about bringing my two grandsons, as would a lot of people. They would want to see cars/swap meet stuff and not bull sessions.

Vacation time for younger families can be at a premium and they may not want to allocate and entire week to one show but they would certainly be able to do a weekend or long weekend. I think that along with advertising may even help to boost membership.

It seems most of the big car events have the main events on weekends with the smaller events preceding that by a couple/few days. I know Pebble Beach does and they have people from around the world.

railway
01-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I tend to agree that in the near future a change could be tried. But as of now dates are set up till 2013(I think). It's done this far in advance mainly for hotel booking and establish a set price and a lot of other things. This subject comes around every couple of years, as does summer or early fall dates. Pro's and Con's to both.

Ebon...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wfPQZZVgjZo/SQ_Qln0nkFI/AAAAAAAAABo/aUlcwCY2q48/s144/bobbiejo2.JPG

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Dick Steinkamp
01-02-2009, 02:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

"We pretty much ARE a club of old farts and changing ANYTHING is somewhat traumatic." - Steinkamp

How did you get over to the computer, Dick, to type out this response? I thought they took away your walker.

Well, since I AM one, I thought I could get away with that line ;).

I don't think it's a bad thing...just a fact of life.

We look young, however, when compared to a Model A club meeting :D.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

studegary
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Of course, to me, the real answer to this is for people that want things to be different is to run for SDC Director or SDC Officer and change things. SDC rules are not cast in stone. Many things have changed over the years. Volunteer your time and effort and make the changes that you desire. I put in more than my fair share, now others can do what they want.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

studegary
01-02-2009, 02:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

Well, since I AM one, I thought I could get away with that line ;).

I don't think it's a bad thing...just a fact of life.

We look young, however, when compared to a Model A club meeting :D.

Dick Steinkamp

The Model A comment reminds me that there are no guarantees and age isn't everything.
My father purchased a Model A coupe brand new. He had some new and used parts and new accessory items (a clock/mirror is one that comes to mind) for a Model A. My father decided to pass the Model items on to a local guy that was very interested in Model As. At the time, my father was about 80 and the Model A enthusiast was in his 30s. The young guy died a couple of years later and my father lived for another 20 after that. I don't know what happened to the Model A items.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

JRoberts
01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
This all goes back to an often discussed topic here, and elsewhere in Studebakerdom. We have to do some changing if we are going to survive. I understand Mike's out look on this topic. And I really appreciate Dick's response. If the big hot rod and custom car shows can be held on Saturday why can't the SDC do the same thing with their concours? I know about the two weekends to travel and all of that, but it just seems like to me we ought to try some changes to see if they work or not.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

4961Studebaker
01-02-2009, 03:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

Of course, to me, the real answer to this is for people that want things to be different is to run for SDC Director or SDC Officer and change things. SDC rules are not cast in stone. Many things have changed over the years. Volunteer your time and effort and make the changes that you desire.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

I don't think you have to run an election campaign (to win) inorder to change, or suggest change, concerning one thing about a meet.

I mentioned almost a year ago that it would be nice to see a trial period of say two or possibly 3 meets be carried over a weekend period to evaluate the increases/decreases on attendance to the concource,Or better yet every other year, or even, pick and choose the city that would garner the best results for a weekend trial. Or Let the bidding Chapter evaluate through the week versus Wed-Sun

(The concource/show-n-shine style show would be the main event outsiders/passerby's are most likely to attend)

MEET GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION CAN HAVE AN EFFECT ON THIS AS WELL. Even when held during the week.

The expierement can be reversed. While advanced planning needs consideration the current 3 year planning cycle has to start somewhere. (today's decisions come to fruition 3 years later)

While I'm not the club I'm one of the many youthfull members that you speak of. And even though the majority of the meets are held during the summer, and school is out, I must work and maximize my vacation time between the car hobby and other family hobbies.

And once again I'll state.....it's our club and we'll do things to suit the memberships wants and needs of being in the club to the chigrin of those non members.

But it sounds as though some club members are asking for some additional outsideexposure (temporarily) to boost intrest as well as accommodation.

Just my thoughts, I'm not angry in any way. Just want to see Studebakers and people who like seeing them.

ChopStu

Skip Lackie
01-02-2009, 06:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

I don't think you have to run an election campaign (to win) inorder to change, or suggest change, concerning one thing about a meet.

I mentioned almost a year ago that it would be nice to see a trial period of say two or possibly 3 meets be carried over a weekend period to evaluate the increases/decreases on attendance to the concource,Or better yet every other year, or even, pick and choose the city that would garner the best results for a weekend trial. Or Let the bidding Chapter evaluate through the week versus Wed-Sun

(The concource/show-n-shine style show would be the main event outsiders/passerby's are most likely to attend)

MEET GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION CAN HAVE AN EFFECT ON THIS AS WELL. Even when held during the week.

The expierement can be reversed. While advanced planning needs consideration the current 3 year planning cycle has to start somewhere. (today's decisions come to fruition 3 years later)

While I'm not the club I'm one of the many youthfull members that you speak of. And even though the majority of the meets are held during the summer, and school is out, I must work and maximize my vacation time between the car hobby and other family hobbies.

And once again I'll state.....it's our club and we'll do things to suit the memberships wants and needs of being in the club to the chigrin of those non members.

But it sounds as though some club members are asking for some additional outsideexposure (temporarily) to boost intrest as well as accommodation.

Just my thoughts, I'm not angry in any way. Just want to see Studebakers and people who like seeing them.

ChopStu

Some good ideas in the thread. It's certainly worth bringing up before the board to see if we could experiment with the schedule to allow the councours to be held on a Sat.

That said, please be aware that the meet sites and dates have already been set for the next four years. As noted above, 2013 or so would be the first time we could try it. (And Richard Dormois may already be negotiating with some chapter about sponsing that meet, too!) Right now, the Sunday-to-Saturday schedule is SDC "policy," which means the chapters really don't have the option of proposing anything else. We would need to work out a procedure where we would encourage a different schedule, but still allow a retreat to the old system if we couldn't make it work out in a particular site.

Discussing it here on the Forum is a good idea, but not all board members read the Forum regularly. So if you feel passionate about this issue, I encourage you to contact YOUR board member about it (or any other issue that you think is important). E-mail addresses are conveniently printed on the last inside page of each issue of TW.

Skip Lackie
Board member, Atlantic Zone

BobPalma
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
:) Sooner or later, this topic always gets around to the average age and subsequent interest(s) of SDC members. That's not a bad thing, and certainly valid. So there's no danger of my high-jacking this thread with the following automotive amusement. It speaks to this issue in a humorous way (well, OK; I think it's humorous).

After two postponed closings earlier in the week, Cari and I today (finally) closed on the sale of our rental house. Our agent was on vacation, so another agent from the office attended closing with us. (My Indiana Real Estate Broker License is with this firm, so it made little difference if anyone from the office was there, actually).

So the other agent and I get to shooting the breeze. 'Turns out she graduated from high school in 1971. It was family policy that if the kids got good grades and stayed out of trouble, Daddy would buy them a reasonably-priced new car upon high school graduation. Cool. She had behaved herself and had her heart set on a new, basic 1971 Barracuda Coupe, which she ultimately got.

But it seems Daddy discouraged her at first. He said, "Well, you can have the Barracuda, but I've got a 'way cooler car for you to see that I'll bet you'd rather have!" All excited as if it was Christmas morning, he took her to a freind's house, a buddy who wanted to sell a nice tangerine-and-white Ford Retractable! The agent wasn't sure what year it was; she just knew it was a fifties Ford with "that folding steel top that went into the trunk" and was a gawd-awful orange color she couldn't stand.[xx(]

Her Dad was a bit of a car nut and just couldn't fathom why an 18-year-old girl in 1971 would prefer a new, base Barracuda coupe over a fifties Ford Skyliner![:0]

What a lesson in generational definitions of cool, eh? :DBP

raoul5788
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

:) Sooner or later, this topic always gets around to the average age and subsequent interest(s) of SDC members. That's not a bad thing, and certainly valid. So there's no danger of my high-jacking this thread with the following automotive amusement. It speaks to this issue in a humorous way (well, OK; I think it's humorous).

After two postponed closings earlier in the week, Cari and I today (finally) closed on the sale of our rental house. Our agent was on vacation, so another agent from the office attended closing with us. (My Indiana Real Estate Broker License is with this firm, so it made little difference if anyone from the office was there, actually).

So the other agent and I get to shooting the breeze. 'Turns out she graduated from high school in 1971. It was family policy that if the kids got good grades and stayed out of trouble, Daddy would buy them a reasonably-priced new car upon high school graduation. Cool. She had behaved herself and had her heart set on a new, basic 1971 Barracuda Coupe, which she ultimately got.

But it seems Daddy discouraged her at first. He said, "Well, you can have the Barracuda, but I've got a 'way cooler car for you to see that I'll bet you'd rather have!" All excited as if it was Christmas morning, he took her to a freind's house, a buddy who wanted to sell a nice tangerine-and-white Ford Retractable! The agent wasn't sure what year it was; she just knew it was a fifties Ford with "that folding steel top that went into the trunk" and was a gawd-awful orange color she couldn't stand.[xx(]

Her Dad was a bit of a car nut and just couldn't fathom why an 18-year-old girl in 1971 would prefer a new, base Barracuda coupe over a fifties Ford Skyliner![:0]

What a lesson in generational definitions of cool, eh? :DBP

I graduated high school in 1972 and I would prefer the 'Cuda also!

Chip
'63 Cruiser daily driver
'57 Packard wagon almost on the road!

BobPalma
01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by raoul5788
I graduated high school in 1972 and I would prefer the 'Cuda also!

Chip

:) Cool, Chip. (As Bill Engvall might suggest to some of us older guys, "Here's your sign!") :DBP

avantilover
01-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Being an old fart (49) I'd take the Ford.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31883343@N00/sets/72157607158071811/show/

8E45E
01-02-2009, 11:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Being an old fart (49) I'd take the Ford.

I honestly would have done the same in 1971. I had an 'old bag' school teacher that year who owned the NICEST 1958 Meteor Rideau 500 2 door hardtop, always clean and spotless. In fact, she NEVER parked it in the teachers' parking lot which was inside the school gate where the students were allowed to roam. Instead, she parked it on the quiet side street. It had the factory underdash A/C unit (Polar-aire[?]), clock, and NO radio! I've always wondered what became of that car as I heard she passed away sometime in the mid-eighties, and I've never seen it appear at an old car meet. It was in beautiful enough shape to be a solid survivor car.

Craig

sals54
01-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I passed on a pair of Ford Skyliners several years ago. I don't know if I ever would have done anything with them, but it woulda been cool to have em just for a time.

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

TX Rebel
01-03-2009, 12:26 AM
I graduated in '73 and would take the 'cuda unless the retractable was a '57. I was a car nut from early childhood, and I had a yellow '56 T-Bird in hi school because I couldn't find a decent Hawk to buy. Little did I know how many were around if I had known where to look. My boss at the gas station I worked at after school was a member of SDC, & I was always the first to read the slim TW newsletter when it arrived at the station. Most of the cars FS were far from home. My boss had a 31 Rockne 2 dr he kept at the station with a 327 & 4spd.

Barry'd in Studes

58PackardWagon
01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Skip the dates that are currently set can be changed. This year and next year are in stone, but the others I am certain offer flexiblity. The hotel and convention people are currently doing anything possible to please the customer.

62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

clonelark
01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Wonder if that top would work on a GT Hawk, lots of work anyway. and where would you ever find one.

Skip Lackie
01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Skip the dates that are currently set can be changed. This year and next year are in stone, but the others I am certain offer flexiblity. The hotel and convention people are currently doing anything possible to please the customer.

62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

It's an idea that's worth pursuing. I'll take it up with Ed Reynolds and the board.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

candbstudebakers
01-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Good luck on any changes to do with any national meet, just end up spinning your wheels I know I have tried, my school age grandson misses every other one and he really would like to go to all of them. He is a younger member, he is a full member and has been since he was 6 years old he is now 13 and has his own cars, you can check him out in the roster Clayton Peterson Granite Bay, Ca.

barnlark
01-05-2009, 01:41 AM
I know a ton of work goes into organizing these events and having business locations commit to our plans, but it seems to me the future dates can still accommodate a concours day change to Saturday. Can the awards be tabulated by Saturday night, or by Sunday noon, so that folks can either drive home or stick around and relax for a final evening? There are plenty of problems of which I'm probably completely unaware, like printing literature of event schedules, but a four year moratorium on concours day? Why? I understand hotel reservations and vacation days have already been made by many, but certainly the word could get out for even that to be worked out for this year if we deemed it a better plan, certainly by next year. Better weekend crowds mean more exposure for the club.

Skip Lackie
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie
It's an idea that's worth pursuing. I'll take it up with Ed Reynolds and the board.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

I'm resurrecting this thread to provide an interim status report. First, Ed Reynolds disabused me of the notion (stated above) that the conventional Sunday-to-Saturday schedule was SDC policy. In fact, the schedule is determined by the sponsoring chapter. I checked the latest version of the Intl Meet Policy (printed as a part of the Lancaster minutes in Jan TW), and there is no requirement to schedule the meet in any particular way.

VP Richard Dormois responded that of those answering the 2008 International Meet Survey, 29% said they would favor scheduling an international meet around a weekend, citing better exposure to the general public. 37% wanted to leave it as is and 44% didn't have an opinion. Richard will discuss the possibility of slipping the schedule with the Glendale (2010) and Springfield (2011) committees. While the Intl Meet committee and the board can express opinions, ultimately the dates and schedule are up to the sponsoring chapter.

I'm waiting to see if I get any comments from other board members.

Skip Lackie

Mark57
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread to provide an interim status report. First, Ed Reynolds disabused me of the notion (stated above) that the conventional Sunday-to-Saturday schedule was SDC policy. In fact, the schedule is determined by the sponsoring chapter. I checked the latest version of the Intl Meet Policy (printed as a part of the Lancaster minutes in Jan TW), and there is no requirement to schedule the meet in any particular way.

VP Richard Dormois responded that of those answering the 2008 International Meet Survey, 29% said they would favor scheduling an international meet around a weekend, citing better exposure to the general public. 37% wanted to leave it as is and 44% didn't have an opinion. Richard will discuss the possibility of slipping the schedule with the Glendale (2010) and Springfield (2011) committees. While the Intl Meet committee and the board can express opinions, ultimately the dates and schedule are up to the sponsoring chapter.

I'm waiting to see if I get any comments from other board members.

Skip Lackie

Thanks for following up on this Skip - SDC style democracy in action! :)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0297a.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
01-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread to provide an interim status report.

Thanks for the follow-up, Skip! [^]

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

4961Studebaker
01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I too thank you for the follow up. I'm a bit surprised at the high percentage (44%) that "didn't have an opinion"
May mean it doesn't matter when its held....just as long as its held. (And the guessing begins) It will be interesting to see how the sponsoring Chapters going forward will evalutate they're events and decide if a weekend event helps the attendance or exposure. Thanks again Skip.

ChopStu

Skip Lackie
01-10-2009, 07:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

I'm a bit surprised at the high percentage (44%) that "didn't have an opinion"
May mean it doesn't matter when its held....just as long as its held. (And the guessing begins)

I think I was one of those who indicated no opinion -- for exactly the reason you state. Some people have trouble getting off at certain times of the year, some are teachers or have kids, etc, and thus care a lot about when meets are held.

That high number is also probably an indication of how many members are retired and have total flexibility over their schedules.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC