Forty-Five Years Ago Tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forty-Five Years Ago Tonight...

...at the stroke of midnight that ended calendar year 1963, we can imagine the evil bean-counters [}][)] in South Bend IN gleefully striking Jet-Thrust engine equipment from the list of available options for any subsequently-ordered new 1964 Studebaker while forever dropping the hammer on Hawk and Avanti production, "ending Studebaker's impressive run of factory-built, high-performance automobiles." (Where have I seen that quote before?)

Not to worry, though: I doubt that anyone cared enough to do so, but it would be interesting to know how many new, untitled, Hawks, Avantis, and JT-powered Studebakers of all description sat unsold in South Bend and on dealer lots when Studebaker dealers reopened for business January 2, 1964. The actual number in that group probably approached 1,000...or even more...but we'll never know.

RIP Sherwood Egbert: You gave it your best shot. That's all one man can do.[^] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

...at the stroke of midnight that ended calendar year 1963, we can imagine the evil bean-counters [}][)] in South Bend IN gleefully striking Jet-Thrust engine equipment from the list of available options for any subsequently-ordered new 1964 Studebaker while forever dropping the hammer on Hawk and Avanti production, "ending Studebaker's impressive run of factory-built, high-performance automobiles." (Where have I seen that quote before?)

Not to worry, though: I doubt that anyone cared enough to do so, but it would be interesting to know how many new, untitled, Hawks, Avantis, and JT-powered Studebakers of all description sat unsold in South Bend and on dealer lots when Studebaker dealers reopened for business January 2, 1964. The actual number in that group probably approached 1,000...or even more...but we'll never know.

RIP Sherwood Egbert: You gave it your best shot. That's all one man can do.[^] BP
    Bob, Do I receive a reward for remembering that quote from my treasured autographed Collectible Automobile ?? Yes,December 1963 was so vital in the Studebaker story. I still have my original cablegram copy dated Dec 10th signed by Byers Burlingame stating the move from South Bend to Canada that each of us employees received here at the Studebaker Assy Plant located in Melbourne. We had already purchased 2 of the 24 Avanti powered Daytona convertibles produced & converted them to RHC for Australian market evaluation. Years later in 1994 I puchased the Harold Hendricks / Bob May R2 convertible & shipped it back to Melbourne, so like yourself I have a passion for that power option offered to Studebaker buyers. Yes, Sherwood Egbert did his best. In fact, I've just secured one of his original business cards.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Believe me, Bob, I have often fantasized (yes, this is a Bill Pressler fantasy!) about all the leftover new '64 Studes of all varieties in South Bend at the time of the closure, and if I could go back with today's money.......sorry, I'm choking up, it's too much to contemplate (LOL!).

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Truly a New Year's Day pardon if there ever was one, Bill. I figured I was taking my life in my own hands, grinding on the South Bend bean-counters with such an esteemed accountant as yourself on the forum. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Heck, I'd be a little "steamed" too, if I had to count beans!

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HAWK64

Bob, Do I receive a reward for remembering that quote from my treasured autographed Collectible Automobile?

The Studebaker Assy Plant located in Melbourne: We had already purchased 2 of the 24 Avanti powered Daytona convertibles produced & converted them to RHC for Australian market evaluation. Years later in 1994 I puchased the Harold Hendricks / Bob May R2 convertible & shipped it back to Melbourne, so like yourself I have a passion for that power option offered to Studebaker buyers.
            BINGO, Jim; you get the award...which is yet to be determined.

Curious as to the JT-powered 1964 convertibles: Did they arrive as complete, ready-to-drive LHC cars and your team had to undergo the enormous convertion to RHC?[:0] Man, that is no small effort! BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HAWK64

Bob, Do I receive a reward for remembering that quote from my treasured autographed Collectible Automobile?

The Studebaker Assy Plant located in Melbourne: We had already purchased 2 of the 24 Avanti powered Daytona convertibles produced & converted them to RHC for Australian market evaluation. Years later in 1994 I puchased the Harold Hendricks / Bob May R2 convertible & shipped it back to Melbourne, so like yourself I have a passion for that power option offered to Studebaker buyers.
              BINGO, Jim; you get the award...which is yet to be determined.

Curious as to the JT-powered 1964 convertibles: Did they arrive as complete, ready-to-drive LHC cars and your team had to undergo the enormous convertion to RHC?[:0] Man, that is no small effort! BP
              Bob, Thats how they arrived. We converted the two at our Tottenham Plant using RHC colour co-ordinated dashes as opposed to the black dashes (no choice) on our CKD vehicles. Both of these convertibles are fortunately still alive but need full restorations. One is R1 with power shift in Astra White & the other R2 with power shift in Bermuda Brown.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
              MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Its great to hear from the old-timers like Bob Palma, George Krem etc. You guys have lot of great memories. You should get together and have a book published about some of them.

I would like to see Turning wheels start running stories about the "Old Timers" in the club who actually can remember, worked at or even bought Studebakers.

Just ran across at letter by Bob to the editor of 'Car Like" magazine in Feb. 1964 (1964 Daytona HT issue). Bob has been promoting Studebakers for over 40 years!!! Keep it up!

T-Cab
                (been driven in or driving Stude's since 1946)!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by T-CAB

Its great to hear from the old-timers like Bob Palma, George Krem etc. You guys have lot of great memories. You should get together and have a book published about some of them.

I would like to see Turning Wheels start running stories about the "Old Timers" in the club who actually can remember, worked at or even bought Studebakers.

Just ran across at letter by Bob to the editor of 'Car Life" magazine in Feb. 1964 (1964 Daytona HT issue). Bob has been promoting Studebakers for over 40 years!!! Keep it up!

T-Cab
                  Actually, Bruce; it's pushing 50 years! I had pro-Studebaker Letters to the Editor published as early as 1962, written when I was 16 years old...and I'm barely 3 years short of 66 right now!

Your suggestion has seen previous exposure. George and I wrote an article that appeared in the September 1980 Turning Wheels: Summer Sleuthing in South Bend. It chronicled some of our nefarious adventures. I haven't seen the article for so long I forgot what's in it, but I'm sure you'd enjoy it if you are "into" such recollections.

Cheers & thanks. BP

Comment

Your suggestion has seen previous exposure. George and I wrote an article that appeared in the September 1980 Turning Wheels: Summer Sleuthing in South Bend. It chronicled some of our nefarious adventures. I haven't seen the article for so long I forgot what's in it, but I'm sure you'd enjoy it if you are "into" such recollections.
                    That article is a 'must read' for ANYONE who loves Studebakers![^] After more than 30 years of receiving TW, that article still rates as my all-time favorite!![^][^]

Craig

Comment

Bob:

I actually have that issue. Still have all my issues since 1976. I find that they are a real treasure.

Keep writing!

T-Cab

Comment

John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Question to Jim Quigley, has there been any luck in obtaining the records of Canada Cycle for copying, so the Aussie Stude clubs can have access to them????

I recall you once saying the family that owned that business had them and wouldn't hand them over to the Club, which is their right, as long a copies can one day be made.

John Clements
                          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                          Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                          Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

HA! "Old Timers" like Bob Palma! HA!!!

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

HA! "Old Timers" like Bob Palma! HA!!!
                              Jim
                              Omigosh! Young 'un Jim Turner has again escaped from his perambulator and crawled over to the keyboard! Quick: Someone top off the Ritalin in his pacifier and secure him in his crib for the evening.[:0] <GG> BP

Comment

Working...
                              X