Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Crash Test

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

What would happen if you did that to any make or model today? Bet it'd go from the site on a Rollback as a total piece of junk directly to the scrap yard. This Studebaker testt showed just what kind of cars we really drive. I feel much safer in my Studebakers than I do in my DD except that it is a P/u that likes to eat up little cars who drive so close behind me that I can't dit the top of the car much less their headlights.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

aah, the good ole days when the bumper bumped and didn't cave in. Think I'll go outside and look at my bumpers and reminish.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

What are the chances Mr. Quinn has original photos[?]

KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

What are the chances Mr. Quinn has original photos[?]
          Or Leonard!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

As we've said before, your old Studebaker would survive better then a modern car, but you would not. A modern car gives up sheet metal to save the harder to replace human body parts.

JDP/Maryland
            Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd like to know how those 3 guys in the white jumpsuits managed to lift a '34 Studebaker up above their heads.

[)]

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I'd like to know how those 3 guys in the white jumpsuits managed to lift a '34 Studebaker up above their heads.

[)]
                It's before my (and Matts) time, but it reminds me of the cover of the first Superman comic book where he's punching out an Airflow or something similar.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

What would happen if you did that to any make or model today? Bet it'd go from the site on a Rollback as a total piece of junk directly to the scrap yard. This Studebaker testt showed just what kind of cars we really drive. I feel much safer in my Studebakers than I do in my DD except that it is a P/u that likes to eat up little cars who drive so close behind me that I can't dit the top of the car much less their headlights.
                  The '34 in that picture would have driven away, but had there been a person behind the steering wheel, he most likely would have gone thru the windshield.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Wonder where that beauty is now?[xx(]
                    55 Commander Regal Coupe
                    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                    KARR (Knightrider)
                    Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

What would happen if you did that to any make or model today? Bet it'd go from the site on a Rollback as a total piece of junk directly to the scrap yard. This Studebaker testt showed just what kind of cars we really drive. I feel much safer in my Studebakers than I do in my DD
                      Don, that's a nice romantic notion; but if a modern car was side-by-side with a modern car going over, and both cars had a person inside, the late-model driver would have little-to-no injury, while the Stude driver would at minumum be seriously injured[xx(]

Folks mistakenly think that older, heavier steel is better in an accident; when in reality all it does is transfer more impact force to the bodies of the occupants. New cars have crumple zones that are designed to absorb that impact; plus the passenger compartments have a built-in cage to offer more protection; old cars don't.

Not that it's a big problem. It's just dangerous to think our beloved Studes are anywhere near as safe as modern cars- even with the best seat belts we can get.

Not that I ever hesitate to drive one for even a second

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob, I'm aware of that but just couldn't resist the romantic thought of driving a Studebaker.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The car used in the ad was a '34 as noted in the photos. There was a 16mm film showing this test as well as two others that I have. They rolled the car down the hill three times. I believe it is on DVD.

Richard Quinn
                          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

They had DVD's in 1934! Studebaker really was ahead of it's time!

55 Commander
                            58 Transtar
                            62 GT Hawk
                            66 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
                              I believe it is on DVD.
                              Richard Quinn
                              Do you have way of posting it on You Tube?

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
                              ~Nitram~
                              57 Transtar

Comment

Working...
                              X