R-3 OIL DRAIN PLUG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-3 OIL DRAIN PLUG

WHEN STUDEBAKER MADE THE R-3 OIL PANS, WHAT THREAD SIZE DID THEY USE FOR THE DRAIN PLUG?
    THANKS
    PAUL LAUSCH

That's a pretty obscure question if I ever heard one, Lol!

I checked the Jet Thrust section of the Chassis Parts Catalog, but since there are NO R3 & R4 parts shown, that got me nowhere.

That only leaves, the facts we know, there were only two drain plug sizes ever used, the '47-'57 large one and the '58-'64 small 5/8" NF one.

I would think they started with the old '51-'55 6 quart pan and added the baffles and breather hole, which [u]COULD</u> mean that the plug is the large older type.

So much for conjecture! Does ANYONE actually have a R3 pan or an R3 Engine to check?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Same p/n as r-1 & r-2 pan plugs.

Comment

Rich, if you want to stop over this weekend, we can check a couple of those funny red B engines to confirm it.

James

The Bell Collection
        Bellingham, WA.
        Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
        Bellingham, WA.

Comment

It would be best to have a picture of what you have. Since 1966 I have been the only one making R style pans, first for Joe G, then since 74 for Lional stone. There are a lot of R3-R4 pans floating around. If the plug comes out the rear of the bottom of the pan at a 45 degree angle it could be a 5/8" X 18 or a 3/8" taper pipe.

Comment

The R3 pan was simply an R1/2 pan with an insert welded in to drop the bottom - hence same drain plug.

Comment

The oil pan and drain plug on the R3 in the Plain Brown Wrapper are the original parts that Paxton included with the R3 engine when I bought it in 1964; the drain plug is the same standard Studebaker V8 item that would have been on any 1963/64 Stude V8...only it's painted red. WCP is right on the construction of the pan.

George

george krem
              george krem

Comment

Working...
              X