PDA

View Full Version : N.O.S. 59,60 LARK FENDERS ON EBAY?

63t-cab
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Did anyone catch the end of the bidding on these today?did they sell,if so how much? or was reserve not met?

Joseph R. Zeiger

bams50
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
$811. Reserve not met.

http://tinyurl.com/7eokp6

Crazy IMO, since the majority of the used ones I've seen can be properly repaired.

Not to mention, there are very few Larks that could justify that kind of expenditure just for fenders[:o)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

bams50
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
BTW, he's a friend of Dave A. (barnlark). Had several items listed, including other NOS fenders. None met reserve except for his GH. Take a look:

http://tinyurl.com/9dmd7w

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

2R5
12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Yep Richards a great guy ...but I think he was a little high on those fenders :( I would of liked to buy them but the price went way by me a couple days ago....oh well[xx(]

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp-1.jpgHome of the Fried Green Tomato
"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
1964 Daytona HT

63t-cab
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Bet ya the reserve on those 59,60 lark fenders is about $1,000.00,seen a fella last York meet asking $1,200.00 then down to $1,000.00 and I do'nt think he sold the pair?

Joseph R. Zeiger

mbstude
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Lark fenders for over a grand???

It's a Lark, bondo is cheap.

[:o)]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/StudeDriveLogo_small.jpg

dlagrua
12-30-2008, 09:42 PM
IMO, those fenders were being sold by a "scalper" trying to get an exhorbitant price for them. It looks like he didn't hit the reserve but some desperate and most likely uninformed individual bid $811.00.
Crazy!

barnlark
12-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Bams,
He had them in the stratosphere because another local member got rid of three pair just like them since November for 1K a pair easily. I think it's ridiculous, too, but I wouldn't go anywhere near that price anyway. Way out of my range. Not many decent used ones left, though. I've looked and only have a few that will not need serious work. 59-60 stuff seems to draw more lately.
Guess it's perspective. We've all seen stuff of all kinds sell for way too much for normal CASO's tastes (if it's a Stude that we don't particularly care about.) I'd make a bad vendor, I rather help folks out than make a killing. But then..for the time being, I still have a day job.

dlagrua.. "being sold by a "scalper"....."most likely uninformed individual bid $811.00."

They aren't my fenders, but I will take exception to that. Maybe you can point me to a mountain of NOS 59-60 fenders for $100 each and better inform me.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

bams50
12-31-2008, 05:44 AM
It will come down to how bad he really wants to sell them. If he runs them again now that the holidays are over, he'll know what the actual market value is (and so will we!;)).

Parish, central NY 13131

barnlark
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
If I had someone offer me over $800 I would have been ecstatic. That's me, though. I'm happy we have dedicated vendors and many are friends now, but everything predictably has gone up, even in a slow economy. We've certainly had numerous discussions on everyone's right to make a profit. That topic will never end, just grow more tiresome.

It obviously comes down to a simple case of supply and demand as it always has, even for Studebakers. Those fenders were a little over a hundred when I first looked at them and the 2 door rear quarters were $65. Now you can't find any. I kick myself now for not having a pair of each as spares. I always thought I could wait and find them for a better price. Now, I'm in the beat up, used market for what NOS used to cost. When I hear people have 10-50K in a restoration, I doubt they skimped and bondoed up their fenders. $500 each, without paying for extensive body work would be the way I would go...if I wanted it done right and could afford it.

My simple barnlark take on these fender prices is this:
If there even is one culprit here.. who is considered the bad guy, the guy trying to get the now "crazy" market price, or the three people out there who may be reading this who just spent 1K each pair recently whom set that market price? It happened with '53 parts through '61 tail lights. All crazy prices to me... but I don't own either car. Again, perspective. Were the cash is, so go the parts.

Face it, there are collectible car owners out there of other marques who would be more than happy with paying only $500 per fender.

I've overpaid and knew it for small things like clocks and belt mouldings that I wanted and needed on my Lark, so I'm just as guilty. [B)]

fiftystarlightcoupe
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
I bought a car from this vendor earlier this year. After the sale, I told him what my plans were and which route I was going with the car. When he found out I was going original with it, he gave me an original front seat (it had buckets in it) and other parts as "freebies". He also showed me a copy of TW and suggested that I join the SDC. This is a "stand up" guy; hardly a "scalper".

Chuck/Ohio 9G-C5

barnlark
12-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Right you are, Chuck. I wouldn't still have my car if it weren't for him and our friendship. [^]