PDA

View Full Version : '58 Packard wagon

Johnnywiffer
12-27-2008, 07:04 AM
I probably shouldn't do this but it appears this car is near San Antonio. Will check it out for prospective buyers, if asked. Will also take more pix, tho the pix on the auction seem sufficient.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-1958-Packard-Studebaker-Station-Wagon-1-of-159_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6389QQihZ011QQitemZ320327662125QQrdZ1QQsspagename ZWDVW

Just from looking at the present interior and motor pix, would HATE to begin this restoration.

Good luck! :)

John

bams50
12-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Not that bad, and worth doing considering what it is.

I love his response to the jerk/loser that sent the childish comment[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Bill Pressler
12-27-2008, 08:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Not that bad, and worth doing considering what it is.

I love his response to the jerk/loser that sent the childish comment[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I liked his response to the jerk, also. What makes people so much 'braver' behind a keyboard than in person? BTW, it doesn't look all that bad to me...I've certainly seen worse! Certainly one of the rarest Studebaker products made.

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

KGlowacky
12-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Looks like a two tone white and blue car or a all white car with the tailgate (top and bottom) being replaced at some time. (with blue) Don't know if Packard had two tone in 58.

8E45E
12-27-2008, 08:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky
Don't know if Packard had two tone in 58.

Its very rare to see one that isn't!

Craig

BobPalma
12-27-2008, 08:41 AM
:) The streamer AIR COND attached to the left body tag screw is pretty cool, too. 'Don't know when I've last seen one of those. I'm still amazed at how many of those wagons are extant. :DBP

58PackardWagon
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Depending on the amount of rust (I sent the seller an email to inquire) this one could be an easy project or a nightmare. I will advise.

I wonder if my wife would let me have another one?

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
57 Packard Wagon parts car
57 Packard sedan parts car
58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

StudeDave57
12-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Scroll down for a picture of what this car may have looked like at one time~

http://www.cruise66.com/index.php?page=cars

When it was restored, they changed the colors to those of my Packard.
(mine needs some paint)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/StudeDave/My%20Rides/60670006.jpg

StudeDave '57 [8D]
San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
San Diego County SDC
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
'55 PROTOTYPE panel van

StudeRich
12-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Nice RED curb Dave! Lol! :D

It appears that most of the interior and underhood damage on this rare Wagon was done by rodents, the rust does not look to be typical of water/weather damage.
Being in a barn, that would make sense.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

StudeDave57
12-27-2008, 12:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Nice RED curb Dave! Lol! :D StudeRich
Yup~ Sometimes they get red hot from all the sunshine we get down here~
ya gotta hate when that happens... ;) [}:)]

Funny thing though- no one ever argues with a car as cool as a '58 Packard~
not even the nice police officers that watched me take the photo!!! [:0] ;) [^]

Is it the snout or the tailfins [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
gettin' away with it
(in San Diego)

58PackardWagon
12-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Crusie 66....I sure wish I saw that car when it came to Chicago.

I sold a number of parts for the 58 Packard Wagon restoration in Norway. The surprising part was that the whole dash and all of the chrome and stainless were done in the States. The parts that I sold were sent to two different shops, one in PA and the other in CA. Arne did a very nice job on the car. The car is 100% original except for the interior. He did not want a cloth seats.

StudeDave57
12-27-2008, 01:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Crusie 66....I sure wish I saw that car when it came to Chicago.
Just as I would've liked seeing it when it was here in Cali... Only trouble being~
I was too busy going where ever the NAVY needed me for most of 2006, though!!!

[:0] :( [V] [xx(] [B)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
bummed out too

studegary
12-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I owned a 1960 Lark with factory air conditioning. I remember the unit as looking similar to this one.
If you want one of these, this looks to be an okay example to start with. How many do you see that are for sale?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

sals54
12-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm still trying to resist the urge to get another wagon. I'm loving the 56-58s more and more as time goes by.

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

Roscomacaw
12-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Did anyone look at the 60 Lark hardtop this seller's got up? It's a Hamilton car with a truly bizarre color scheme (never mind that it's in primer at the moment). Metallic green with a red interior! Maybe Santa Claus ordered it!

I believe the '59-60 AC units had 3 outlet directors on the front.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

StudeRich
12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
That really makes you wonder doesn't it? I think Hamilton actually may have built it this way. The reason I say that is when an Interior has been changed you usually see nice or new kick panels, Windlacing etc. or it would not be worth changing everything. Also check out that well worn steering wheel that looks original Red and Black with the red worn through to the Black underneath like they always do after long use. If it had a Green or Tan Interior like most, it would also have had a Green or Brown Column. I see that it HAD a TT Emblem below the "Stude." script where it belongs.

The car itself is clearly the original Williamsburg Green, a rarely ordered nice dark Green non-metallic as all '60's were. The firewall and trunk appear very original. [^]

I remember that Ed Reynolds used to have a '53 or '54 Starliner Hardtop that was this Red/Green combination originally, I think it may have belonged to his Dad.

It does have a full-flow late '62-'64 Engine installed, it could be a 289! Either way it's better than the original. [^]

Here is the link to the ebay ad!

http://tinyurl.com/aya9t5

See my new post: " '60 Lark VIII Hardtop on ebay" for further comments on it.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Did anyone look at the 60 Lark hardtop this seller's got up? It's a Hamilton car with a truly bizarre color scheme

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

TX Rebel
12-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Sweet project for a real glutton for punishment like me, but God only knows how much bondo is under that new primer. I have several junkers that I could make look that good in a couple of days with gorilla hair & bondo, but could not in good conscience sell w/o full disclosure of actual body cond., which this seller fails to discuss. I'm high bidder now, but I'm sure that a greater fool than myself will surface between now and the close of sale.

Barry'd in Studes

58PackardWagon
12-27-2008, 11:02 PM
TX Rebel if you have the opportunity you should go and view the car. Many think these parts can cross over or are easy to come by....many parts do not (to do the car correctly which the low production # deserves) and one can come by the parts every once in a while, but they can become costly.

62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

studegary
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM

I believe the '59-60 AC units had 3 outlet directors on the front.

Bob K. - You are probably correct. It has been many years since I owned that air conditioned 1960 Studebaker Lark. What was similar to me in my recollection was the large rectangular box under the dash.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

studegary
12-29-2008, 03:19 PM

I remember that Ed Reynolds used to have a '53 or '54 Starliner Hardtop that was this Red/Green combination originally, I think it may have belonged to his Dad.

Here is the link to the ebay ad!

http://tinyurl.com/aya9t5

Did anyone look at the 60 Lark hardtop this seller's got up? It's a Hamilton car with a truly bizarre color scheme

StudeRich

I owned a 1953 Commander Starliner for nine years that I "restored" and showed. I knew the car since it was new and bought it off the original owner who was a family friend. The car was Tahoe Green with an Olympic Gray roof and red vinyl interior. Many people asked how I could put such a color combination in/on the car. I tried to explain that that was the way that Studebaker built it. Remember that there were very few interior color choices available in 1953.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

StudeDave57
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM

StudeRich
So much for that idea- thanks for trying Dad...

StudeDave '57 [8D]

jnormanh
12-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I guess Studebaker had some unusual ideas about color combonations. My uncle's new '53 coupe was yellow with blue top and red cloth interior. Off the dealer lot, not a spl order.

JBOYLE
12-29-2008, 06:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

I guess Studebaker had some unusual ideas about color combonations. My uncle's new '53 coupe was yellow with blue top and red cloth interior. Off the dealer lot, not a spl order.

It may have been a special order, but the original buyer got his sight back! :D

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

58PackardWagon
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I sent in a question to the seller two days ago inquiring on the amount of rust and rust repair....to date, no reply.

62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

rusty65
12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I love '58 Packards,especially the wagon.It is truly a rare bird;I saw this on Ebay last night.As beautiful as the '58 Packard wagon is,it is clear that this example is a hound dog.The rattle-can primer makes this thing cool from a distance,but to fully restore this beast would be a mamma-jamma.So what to do??[?]Keep the flat black and the shabby interior,throw in a brand X motor and trans and (get out the barf bucket here)make it a RAT ROD[}:)]No, that wouldn't be my cup of tea either,but at least it would be running while the new owner accumulates the correct parts to restore it to stock.Hey I'm just dreamin' here friends.And a dream is not a fact OR opinion so I'm in the clear!!:DSeriously,I DO hope that this vehicle finds a good home.I wish the new owner the very best of success with this project!!

Desert Explorer
12-30-2008, 04:49 PM
That looks liek it would not be TOO dificult of a project. I would be tempted to go for it, but I have WAY TOO MANY projects already in process.

63t-cab
12-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Who ever ends up with it is a lucky one!my Father almost bought one in the early 60's,but passed it up for a 55 Pontiac Wagon(BOO)and to think my Mother could have gotton her grocery shopping done in half the time,of course if Dad drove her to the store!!!

Joseph R. Zeiger

58PackardWagon
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Still no answer to the questions I sent in a few days ago to the seller about rust and body repair.....very strange.

62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

StudeDave57
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Still no answer to the questions I sent in a few days ago to the seller about rust and body repair.....
very strange.
Maybe he's too busy answering all the other questions being asked [?] [?] [?]

Wasn't there a reserve when the auction started? If so~ it's been met!!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
lookin'- NOT biddin' ;)

post #1999

StudeMichael
12-31-2008, 10:33 PM
That front end is UGLY. The only front end uglier than that is the 58 Packard Hawk. There,,,,I said what is on most peoples minds that are too politically correct to speak out!

1957 Packard Clipper
1958 Golden Hawk
1963 Daytona Convertible
1963 R2 Daytona
1963 R2 GT Hawk
1963 R1 Wagonaire
1963 R4 Avanti
1964 Champ
1966 Cruiser

rusty65
01-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Dude......I'm not even going to go there.Where's the hall monitor when you need him???

58PackardWagon
01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Here are the two replies that I sent on my questions about rust, body work and bondo:

I will be more than glad to send you some pictures of all the areas you are requesting. The vehicle has rust. I do not know the extent of the body work since we received it the way it is as a part of an estate that is why we are selling it with a bill of sale only.

I belive the extra tag says "AIR COND". It doesn't have a third seat but there is a place for a spare tire. There is rust in the corners of the floor. There is a little rust on the bottom of the tail gait..