Can't get steering wheel off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get steering wheel off

I first tried my steering wheel puller, but only succeeded in breaking the hub. Next, I tried a jury-rig with two U-bolts around the arms of the steering wheel, but only succeeded in breaking both arms. Steering wheel's still stuck fast. Yes, I did remember to loosen the hub nut first, but left it on to keep from ruining the threads.

Any ideas? Is it necessary to use a special tool for this, or am I missing something obvious? I have sprayed it with PB Blaster, and left the puller on, with pressure on it to see if that would work it loose over time.

Help!

doctormap
    '48 Champion 4-door

Doctormap If you search this forum I think this subject was discussed before. If memory serves me correct I think a fellow made a puller for his 47-49 Stude steering wheel. You might see if they got any pics. in the shop manual that might help. I'm going out to my garage now to see what my shop manual says. will let you know if I find anything.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

doctormap, Page 104 of your Studebaker Shop Manual shows a pretty good picture of steering wheel puller being used to remove steering wheel. It looks like if you didn't have that puller you might ba able to modify one to work.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
      X