Museum Quality ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum Quality ?

This term has come to use in a couple of recent threads, and its meaning seems to be unclear. Does it imply "Looks pretty, but doesn't run"?

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Museum quality has different meanings to different people. In some museums it means a nice looking car that is capable of running and being driven if so desired. IN others it means a vehicle that is rather pristine on the outside and may or may not run. As an example, all cars in the Peterson Museum meet the first definition while some of the cars in the AACA museum meet the 2nd definition although with some minor mechanical work they will run. So Jim, I guess what I am trying to say it means different things to different folks.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Fantastic Fun I mean Pun

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      1955 President State
      1957 Golden Hawk
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

If you were speaking about Jay Leno's collection, his cars are both good to look at, and they run.
        He has a terrific website, Jay Leno's Garage.
        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It definitely is a pretty broad term. With a car it can mean #1 condition, or someone's opinion of condition- and therein lies the problem. IMO, it's a term that should rarely be used, especially with an engine! It makes me suspicious when it's claimed, because it cannot apply well: to me, you're saying it LOOKS pretty, but what does it mean to the important part- the insides, and usability? Chrome pistons? Show-polished pushrods? Powder-coated bearings? Doesn't make sense.

Whenever I hear that term, it's not a deal-breaker; but it is a red flag...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Yeah it's true; different terms mean different things to different people.It's like back in high school when I said to my buddies that my girlfriend was pretty.The one turned to the other and said,"Pretty ugly!"[}]It was all in good fun though, and the beer continued to flow. Some would say that my C****o belongs in a museum-a JUNK museum!!LOL

Comment

To me, for an engine, museum quality means that it looks appropriate (clean & accurate) for display, such as in a museum. It tells me nothing about the condition of the parts or rebuild, other than a clean and painted exterior.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

To me, for an engine, museum quality means that it looks appropriate (clean & accurate) for display, such as in a museum. It tells me nothing about the condition of the parts or rebuild, other than a clean and painted exterior. Gary L.
                Gary, mark this day down somewhere~ That's pretty much what I was thinking!!!
                For once we agree on something!!! how odd...

All I'd add is that for cars it'd be pretty much the same deal~
                appearing to look good, but may (or may not) even run!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                amazed in San Diego
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC