Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone using Phantoms Slick Street steering rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone using Phantoms Slick Street steering rack?

Have a gentleman I know that used one on his 63 Lark.He is wondering how you connected the steering shaft to the rack,exhaust clearance,ets.Anyone been there-done that yet? Got pictures? Thanks.

Just a teaser shot of the car. I will do a search later on this forum for references to Phantoms set up.

I've wondered about their stuff as well. I see the owner is Rene Harger, a well-known name in the Stude world. I have toyed with the idea of buying one of his front suspension conversion kits he advertises in TW for my Daytona. It's going to be a semi-custom anyway; and it looks like it might be a much easier-to-use and maintain setup than the weird Stude stuff. It needs a suspension rebuild during the frame-off resto anyway, so now would be the time if I was going to.

Anybody have experience with the kit? RE: Rich's question, it would seem tough to convert to just a R&P without changing everything.

I'll be interested in the responses.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I seem to recall that there may have been a thread about those racks within the last year or two. I'm pretty sure it was in the tech section of this Forum.
      The search function ought to help you in your quest...

good luck!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]

StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

True Dave, but that was a year or two ago. By now there may be updated information or experience.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

True Dave, but that was a year or two ago. By now there may be updated information or experience.
          Robert (Bob) Andrews
          And that's why a search would be good~
          Find out who had things to say, and ask them about it.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I would suggest you cut down the original steering column, install a bearing in the end, fab up a firewall support, and use after market steering u-joints. I made the firewall support bracket from a short piece of angle iron and a standard exhaust/muffler clamp. Here are some reference pics:

Comment

Thanks wcarrol!

Comment

Working...
              X