PDA

View Full Version : old gas tanks

bensauber
11-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Is there any really lasting solution to the rust in the tank problem?
The last time I used the chemical cleaner and slushing compound, I wound up with compound flakes in the gas a few years later.

Dan White
11-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I have used these guys for 2 tanks with no problems, lifetime warrantee against rust!

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

farmhawk
11-28-2006, 08:41 PM
POR-15 also makes an excellent tank sealing kit for around $70.

Wayen
61 Hawk (Project)

rockne10
11-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I had my local radiator shop clean and seal two tanks that have been in use for over ten years with no problems. I've more recently used products from Eastwood and POR15. Cleaning them out is only the first step. A good internal sealer, designed for the purpose, is essential.
Follow the manufacturer's instructions or you'll plug up things you don't want plugged.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

RHO
11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Had two tanks done on Packards with the Gas Tank Renu process with some difficulties but the third from a very reptuable Packard vendor no problems at all. The two problems I had:
1. The baked on sealer actually got into and plugged up the pickup tube.....very poor quality work but I believe it was isolated to the one place I had it done at.
2. Be cautious of where the end of the pickup tube is positioned in the gas tank; in my case the end of the pickup tube rests just off the floor of the tank. The baked on sealer was thick enough such that I had to carefully go in with a long screwdriver and pry the end up so it could suck the fuel up.
I had the first two tanks done professionally because two I had done previously with a white sealer flaked off after about 6 months and plugged up the pickup tubes. I have heard of others who experienced this as well.
The gas tank renu process when done correctly should last forever and consists of an orange colored baked on coating on the inside of the tank and a black coating on the outside. With the black coating on the outside, be sure to retain a good grounding for the gas sending unit. I was able to ship my tanks via UPS.
But if the tank is not too bad, I have had it cleaned out at a radiator shop and used no sealer at all but installed a transparent filter close to the outlet of the tank and just changed it frequently until the gas finally cleared up for just normal replacement.

'55 Commander
'55 President

bensauber
11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the input. I think I'll try the Gas Tank Renu process this time. I hope I don't get the intake clogged up.

36 dictator
48 starlite
50 starlite

bradnree
11-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Do a "search" for..........."Draino"......on this site...Brad

RHO
11-30-2006, 06:33 PM
The situation on my first two experiences was just lack of quality inspection. I am pleased with the last one I got from a reputable source. Then, too, these Packard tanks have an integral pickup tube built into the tank that I have not determined a way to remove. Some pickup tubes can be removed (Hudsons I know)and that is a good choice. But once the treatment is done, you don't have to worry about rust again. A little pricey perhaps, but when there are no new/repro tanks around, there are few choices.

'55 Commander
'55 President

rockne10
11-30-2006, 11:32 PM
With the internal pick-up tube, if you seal it yourself, you need to blow air through the pick-up outlet before the sealer has set. If you send the tank out, those folks already know the tricks.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser