No announcement yet.

Installing inner fender kits from C E.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing inner fender kits from C E.

Some time ago I bought these from some one other than C E.
    I am about to install them on a 53 C K.
    I have no installation instructions.

I am wondering if I should add some rubber to the edge that goes against the fenders?

I would like to hear from some that has done this.

Thanks

Paul

I have been making my own out of 18g galvanized metal. I cut a strip of rubber that is stiff enough to hold it's shape, and pop rivet it to the inner fender shield fender side edge, afterwards I caulk the edges with a good urethane caulk that will allow some flex.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The instructions from CE say to use a seam sealer or adhesive caulk.

Wayen K.
      Libby, MT
      61 Hawk

Comment

I put those on mine. I used nylon wire loom or may have spit fuel line and glued on outer edge and then caulked. Don't remember. If I had it to do over I would have made them out of plastic as they add a lot of weight. The 18 gauge is also a good idea.

Comment

Comment

Kdancy or FarmHawk

Can you give a brief descriptionas to how you mounted these.
            I will work on the rears first.
            I don't expect anything today.
            Merry Christmas to all.
            Paul

Comment

I remember reading that someone had picked up some modern plastic wheel well liners from a junk yard and modified them to fit.

I was thinking of doing this in a way that I could remove them for show.

Gallivan
              57 Golden Hawk
              Golden, CO
              Gallivan
              57 Golden Hawk
              Golden, CO

Comment

Gosh! I didn't know fender liners were available, after market or otherwise! How much did they cost? Are there any to fit a '56[?] I'm putting new front fenders on Bess this comming spring or summer and would want to put those on too. What a great idea![^]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I haven't installed mine yet. A "winter" project, probably won't be this winter!

Wayen K.
                  Libby, MT
                  61 Hawk

Comment

The guy that owns Classic Enterprises needs to be banned from selling in Turning Wheels. He sells a Hawk fin strip kit that he has been running for years in the publication. I was one of the suckers that bought one along with the bolt kit. When the body shop could not figure out how to make it work I called Lamont and asked him. He said he had no idea and if I figured out how to get the strips to bend to fit to let him know. He sells products that don't fit and are unworkable. WHAT A CON ARTIST!!!!

1957 Packard Clipper
                    1958 Golden Hawk
                    1963 Daytona Convertible
                    1963 R2 Daytona
                    1963 R2 GT Hawk
                    1963 R1 Wagonaire
                    1963 R4 Avanti
                    1964 Champ
                    1966 Cruiser

Comment

I've got a pair of these fin strips, I'll likely get to the installaton part of it this spring. I'm assuming some heat will have to be involved. I am planning to heat, bend, fit, then remove them for priming, then re-install. If this becomes a project that is beyond my skill level, I'll try the plastic molding type as was outlined by someone else here on the forum, Ray-Lin is it?

Steve
                      Minden, Nevada

1950 2R5 truck
                      1960 Hawk R1 4 speed project
                      Steve
                      Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

[)]I built an entire short P1 bed using CE parts plus the very top rails of a donor bed. I was 100% happy with the parts.[)]

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Good for you Arkiejazz. I put the garbage he sold me in the dumpster.

1957 Packard Clipper
                          1958 Golden Hawk
                          1963 Daytona Convertible
                          1963 R2 Daytona
                          1963 R2 GT Hawk
                          1963 R1 Wagonaire
                          1963 R4 Avanti
                          1964 Champ
                          1966 Cruiser

Comment

I've got a bunch of galvanized parts from CE which I believe are for a Coupe or Hardtop. I'll try to get them out of the barn and sorted. If anyone is interested, drop me a line.

sals54
                            sals54

Comment

I used one of those strips on my 56J. It came out ok but near the bottom on the bumper end if you look closely
                              the line distorts. I should have heated it as the metal has to be stretched for them to fit. I would fit these
                              before doing any body work to eliminate chance of heat screwing up anything. I anchored at the front and worked my way rearward but didn't want to use heat as the fiberglass fins were installed. If anyone has one of these they don't want let me know as I still have one. I have the rear of a 56J I cut up to use as a jig and would like to make a spare set of strips.

Comment

Working...
                              X