Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Museum members should get a mailing on this. I got one Tuesday, December 23rd. A form is included to make a committment to buy X number of plates if they become available, to give the museum an idea if they should go ahead. I committed to two plates.

This article says several plate designs are being considered. The sample included in the mailing is unusually attractive; a photograph of a 1950 Land Cruiser off to the left side of the plate (front view, of course), with the name STUDEBAKER in script underneath the photo. Then, across the bottom of the plate, it says TRANSPORTATION PIONEERS.

COOL! I hope they can do it. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I am going to get them. I was looking at 1961 Indiana plates for the lark, now I think I'll go with these.

Comment

FWIW: The story mentions The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum as being the only other museum in the state to have its own plate. Here in the central Indiana area, you really do see a lot of those Hall of Fame Museum plates; it's an attractive plate with the famous old winged wheel and colored flags that has long been a symbol of The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

I would hope The Studebaker National Museum could get a like number of subscribers, but of course all of us will have to come from Indiana. I would think it a bit difficult for someone out of state to register a car in Indiana just to get those plates.

(On the other hand, if someone out of state would like to transfer title to their unusually nice Studebaker to me so it could be registered in Indiana...)

Just trying to help. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This is a REALLY GREAT IDEA! [^] I will be presenting the idea to the Americas Car Museum here in Tacoma to see if they can do somthing similar.
          Is it only for standard regestered vehicles or are they offering it in a "Collectors Vehicle" type ?
          55 Commander Regal Coupe
          XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
          KARR (Knightrider)
          Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

I'm jealous as the only way I can get them is to move to Imdiana. i guess Broqnsurg might be a good place. Is it, Bob?
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

I'm jealous as the only way I can get them is to move to Indiana. I guess Brownsburg might be a good place. Is it, Bob?
              Yes, Brownsburg is an enjoyable little 'burg. C'mon down! BP

Comment

Well, since I already have the Hall of Fame Museum plate, I'll go for the Studebaker Museum plate! As long as I can have 1952! <G>

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

OK, just committed to 2 plates also

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

I have an idea to recoup the $25 for each unsold plate.Simply sell them to out of state SDC members (such as myself).This would guarantee sale of all the plates, and it would go along nicely with my 2002 Illinois Secretary of State car show plate!!Not to be affixed to any vehicle, but just to have in the 'collection'! What do you think,guys and gals?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty65

I have an idea to recoup the $25 for each unsold plate.Simply sell them to out of state SDC members (such as myself).This would guarantee sale of all the plates, and it would go along nicely with my 2002 Illinois Secretary of State car show plate!!Not to be affixed to any vehicle, but just to have in the 'collection'! What do you think,guys and gals?
                      A good idea, assuming they could figure out how to invalidate plates going out of state. As "sold" in Indiana, the plate will require one initial sticker in one corner to be valid.

So, plates with no stickers would not be valid plates, but out-of-state law enforcement might not know that when observing a plate on a car otherwise being driven legally.

There ought to be some way to work this out, though, in that many out-of-state SDCers would like to have the plate...and it would greatly enhance the coffers ($$$) of The Studebaker National Museum. BP

Comment

Great idea! Too bad I live in New York. If I lived in Indiana, I'd be on the list.
                        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

I'm jealous as the only way I can get them is to move to Imdiana. i guess Broqnsurg might be a good place. Is it, Bob?
                          Not necessarily. Most states will sell a 'SAMPLE' plate. They will typically say 'SAMPLE' or be all zeros (000-000).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                          X