PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a day that just kept on giving?

studeclunker
11-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Just about a month ago, I gave my green '62 sedan to Kent in Michigan. He arranged for shipping and informed me of a date for pickup. The Monday predeeding the weekend arrival of the shipper my GMC (Grimy Mangled Crap) broke down in the local supermarket's parkinglot. Took us three days to figure out that it was a secondary ground.[:I] Doubly embarrasing as the truck has done this before.[:I][:I] So, fixed the ground problem, truck starts and runs like a top and back on track for sweetie's trip to Michigan, right? Wrong!

Friday afternoon, I go to get the trailer and am returning to the house up the driveway, designed by one Lucifer Metastopholies, and the transmission gives out completely. The truck starts rolling backwards. I slammed on the brakes and the whole rig started sliding on the scree ending up with the trailer at a 45 degree angle on the side of the hill.[:0] Oh joy!:(

The truck has no forward gears. It will engage reverse though. So, I unhitched the trailer and with jacks and winches, turned it around on the driveway and back the other direction. It only took eighteen hours and we were four hours late arriving for the shipper. He was a real champ about it and was very helpful, courteous, and sympathetic.

Could have been worse I suppose. The tranny could have given out a hundred miles east of Barstow in the middle of no-where. Seems like the fates are conspiring against my move to North Carolina.

The upshot is, that Kent has the little sedan and she can start a new life in Michigan. She's a sweet little car that should be really happy down on the farm.

Sweetie the day I first brought her home:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/studebaby/62lark-1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/studebaby/54wagonblue-2.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/studebaby/red54wagon-1.jpg
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Roscomacaw
11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Well Clunk - when it "goes wrong", it usually goes wrong big time. Murphy lurks somewhere out by my shop. He's obviously impervious to rain or shine and just WAITS for the right moment of assumption to play his dirty tricks.[}:)]

You need to stay here in Caleephourneeah, so you can reap the benefits that Arnold has in store for us!:D

BTW, if I had a decent trailer I'd come up and save Frumpy from a lesser fate. Do you know Fred Cook??? He might give Frumpy a home and he's alot closer to you than I am.:D

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Well Clunk - when it "goes wrong", it usually goes wrong big time. Murphy lurks somewhere out by my shop. He's obviously impervious to rain or shine and just WAITS for the right moment of assumption to play his dirty tricks.[}:)]

You need to stay here in Caleephourneeah, so you can reap the benefits that Arnold has in store for us!:D

BTW, if I had a decent trailer I'd come up and save Frumpy from a lesser fate. Do you know Fred Cook??? He might give Frumpy a home and he's alot closer to you than I am.:D

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

54-61-62
11-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Ron was very kind making this work out. Just a regular lark thats not from the rust belt looks soooo good!

When I get home tonight I'll write a post with the complete drama and story of this car and its move, but right now I'm off to go get a new to me hawk - seems when it rains studes it pours them (leaving me broke but oh well)

Kent

54-61-62
11-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Ron was very kind making this work out. Just a regular lark thats not from the rust belt looks soooo good!

When I get home tonight I'll write a post with the complete drama and story of this car and its move, but right now I'm off to go get a new to me hawk - seems when it rains studes it pours them (leaving me broke but oh well)

Kent

54-61-62
11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, Now for the rest of the story <G>

About 3 weeks ago after being horribly tired of welding floors and rockers in all my project cars, I jumped in head first and told Ron I'd take his little green 62 he was offering on this forum. Yes, call me crazy for wanting a 4dr lark and getting it moved 2300 miles but honestly this came out cheaper then buying floors and rockers for a michigan car.

My usual first choice for hauling, Peg Trucking was unable to do the haul before Christmas-time. So I went and put a listing on Uship.com Within a couple days I had a really cheap bid from a trucker who was in the California area and could haul the latk back to michigan over thanksgiving due to him having relitives not far from me. I must say I am leary of dealing with truckers from past experiences but this fellow proved to be absolutely swell.

As things got close and the trucker was in-route to Ron's place, I got a call that Ron's truck died (actully twice). Due to Ron's location in northern CA the trucker could not just pull up to the lark, the lark had to be moved down the mountian. The trucker was in the area and not happy to hear the news about maybe not being able to get the lark out of Ron's place, but was willing to wait and do what he could.

As phone calls flew back & forth between Ron, the trucker, and myself, it seemed everything that could go wrong on Ron's end did; it seemed like a TV soap-opera! Infact so many "out-there" things happened I wondered if there even WAS a lark. LOL

Due to his pure kindness and deterimination, Ron got the lark off the mountian and to the trucker just in time.

Fast forward a week to yesterday: It was agreed Dennis the trucker would meet me at 3pm at a local truck stop so I could take delivery of the Lark. At 2:30 pm I go out and for the first time ever my own pickup wouldn't start! I had to meet the trucker with my pickup & trailer but my 94 F250 just wouldn't crank. I ended up pull starting the pickup with a tractor and just left it running when I went to get the lark. This morning I figured out the starter had died on my pickup.

I am quite pleased with the little Lark and am amazed at how rust-free it is! I never knew studebakers came standard with rockers! Its truly amazing how a run-of-the-mill California black-plate 4dr stude can excite me: there is like no rot and the car actually unbolts without using a torch!

Truly I owe Ron a big Thank You for really going out of his way to get the lark to me. Not only did he give me the car outright, he spent much effort to make it happen.

Its intresting how life goes; one hour after I got home from getting the lark yesterday I ended up getting a phone call and buying a hawk I've been after to get for years.

Thanks again Ron, your actions truly showed your honesty and ethics.

Kent

54-61-62
11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, Now for the rest of the story <G>

About 3 weeks ago after being horribly tired of welding floors and rockers in all my project cars, I jumped in head first and told Ron I'd take his little green 62 he was offering on this forum. Yes, call me crazy for wanting a 4dr lark and getting it moved 2300 miles but honestly this came out cheaper then buying floors and rockers for a michigan car.

My usual first choice for hauling, Peg Trucking was unable to do the haul before Christmas-time. So I went and put a listing on Uship.com Within a couple days I had a really cheap bid from a trucker who was in the California area and could haul the latk back to michigan over thanksgiving due to him having relitives not far from me. I must say I am leary of dealing with truckers from past experiences but this fellow proved to be absolutely swell.

As things got close and the trucker was in-route to Ron's place, I got a call that Ron's truck died (actully twice). Due to Ron's location in northern CA the trucker could not just pull up to the lark, the lark had to be moved down the mountian. The trucker was in the area and not happy to hear the news about maybe not being able to get the lark out of Ron's place, but was willing to wait and do what he could.

As phone calls flew back & forth between Ron, the trucker, and myself, it seemed everything that could go wrong on Ron's end did; it seemed like a TV soap-opera! Infact so many "out-there" things happened I wondered if there even WAS a lark. LOL

Due to his pure kindness and deterimination, Ron got the lark off the mountian and to the trucker just in time.

Fast forward a week to yesterday: It was agreed Dennis the trucker would meet me at 3pm at a local truck stop so I could take delivery of the Lark. At 2:30 pm I go out and for the first time ever my own pickup wouldn't start! I had to meet the trucker with my pickup & trailer but my 94 F250 just wouldn't crank. I ended up pull starting the pickup with a tractor and just left it running when I went to get the lark. This morning I figured out the starter had died on my pickup.

I am quite pleased with the little Lark and am amazed at how rust-free it is! I never knew studebakers came standard with rockers! Its truly amazing how a run-of-the-mill California black-plate 4dr stude can excite me: there is like no rot and the car actually unbolts without using a torch!

Truly I owe Ron a big Thank You for really going out of his way to get the lark to me. Not only did he give me the car outright, he spent much effort to make it happen.

Its intresting how life goes; one hour after I got home from getting the lark yesterday I ended up getting a phone call and buying a hawk I've been after to get for years.

Thanks again Ron, your actions truly showed your honesty and ethics.

Kent

Roscomacaw
11-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Now I'd have to say that that Lark was MEANT to be yours, Kent! Keep us posted on it's progress.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
11-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Now I'd have to say that that Lark was MEANT to be yours, Kent! Keep us posted on it's progress.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe