PDA

View Full Version : Needing pics of 58 Wagon with trailer hitch

58PackardWagon
12-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Does anyone have any photos of a 58 Studebaker Station Wagon or 58 Packard Station Wagon with a factory trailer hitch? I have a hitch on a 58 Packard Sedan, but it looks like it is not going to work on a wagon due to the clearance and way the tailgate comes down and where the license plate light and rear emblem are located. Please advise, pics are greatly appreciated! Thank you for all of your input and help.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
57 Packard Wagon parts car
57 Packard sedan parts car
58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

StudeDave57
12-23-2008, 02:01 AM
When it came time to put a hitch on my '57 Parkview (though it wasn't mine at the time) Dad modified a sedan hitch to fit the car. The car is in his garage right now. Between him and Mike, maybe they have a picture~ I can't seem to find any at this end that show what you'd want.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
San Diego County SDC
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
'55 PROTOTYPE panel van

StudeRich
12-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Be advised that there were no Studebaker factory hitches, our's is a Draw-Tite factory hitch, and it is just the standard bar that bolts to two inboard bumper bolts and the main larger bar goes straight up the middle to the crossmember, and attaches with one large bolt. But the shelf on the Wagon requires a longer center bar than the Sedan so I had it lengthened. They made them for both but in 1979 they were NLA.

It has a 1 7/8" Ball I used it to Tow Bar a Stude. or two, it could pull a small boat or small trailer but in those days cars did NOT have huge receivers, just 3/4" flat stock and it was made in 1957. [^]

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

lotsalarks
12-24-2008, 01:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Be advised that there were no Studebaker factory hitches, our's is a Draw-Tite factory hitch, and it is just the standard bar that bolts to two inboard bumper bolts and the main larger bar goes straight up the middle to the crossmember, and attaches with one large bolt. But the shelf on the Wagon requires a longer center bar than the Sedan so I had it lengthened. They made them for both but in 1979 they were NLA.

It has a 1 7/8" Ball I used it to Tow Bar a Stude. or two, it could pull a small boat or small trailer but in those days cars did NOT have huge receivers, just 3/4" flat stock and it was made in 1957. [^]

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

StudeRich, do you have any pictures of your setup? We've got Draw-Tite hitches for the Larks and Avanti that have worked great, but I haven't found one for our '57 or '58. I'd have one fabricated if I had a model to use.

Thanks,
Will

"The Common Sense Car"

'61 Lark "Isabella"
'63 Lark "Lucy"
'63 Wagonaire "Carl"
A bunch of other Larks
'50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"