This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about multiple categories?

IIRC, the subject of multiple categories was discussed recently; I didn't weigh in b/c I was thinking through what my feelings would be. I frequent another forum (Lincoln) that does have multiple categories; and I have to say that I tend to prefer multiples!

Probably the biggest reason is that if I miss a day or 2 I'm liable to miss a thread I'd be interested in. Also, if a thread isn't bumped that had info I needed it fades from view (and memory) rather quickly. When I go into the Lincoln forum index I can select- or avoid- a specific category, and go right to the area I'm interested in. Also, you can see from the index page when the last post in the category was made, without having to go into it. If my forum time is short, I can quickly prioritize what areas I want to skip, and go right to the ones I want; and if I have more time but have no interest in a category, it's easy to just skip it...

Don't misunderstand- I have no problem with the current format; nor do I claim to know the ins and outs of changing over to and maintaining that type of board... I am merely throwing this out as a topic for consideration and discussion... my ONLY motive is to offer any suggestions that may be of help to a forum- and club- that has come to mean a lot to me!!

Here's a link to the Lincoln forum index page if you want to see what it looks like:

I encourage any comments, good and bad, by all, esp. those in charge of this area; and, again, I have no problem with the forum as it is; I respectfully submit this to give others a look at another way in case this hasn't been looked at, and in case it proves to be a better way!

Change or no change, I thank Mr. Shaw for his hard work here- and change or no change, I will be here- with my Studes- hoping to be a contributor to the forum, the Club, and most importantly, the great folks therein!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

I like how fragmented the Lincoln site seems to be with specific mechanical "areas" addressed in their own forums instead of being lumped together. The "For Sale" area is a great idea too. One change I would make to this forum is to make a separate category for "Ebay." That way the critiquing can be limited to one area of the forum. Otherwise, I am very pleased with our SDC forum.

Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I like how fragmented the Lincoln site seems to be with specific mechanical "areas" addressed in their own forums instead of being lumped together. The "For Sale" area is a great idea too. One change I would make to this forum is to make a separate category for "Ebay." That way the critiquing can be limited to one area of the forum. Otherwise, I am very pleased with our SDC forum.

Studedude1961
      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I don't have strong feelings about this. I guess it could be one category or 20 and I'd still hang out here and enjoy it. The current format somehow seems a little more "friendly" to me and less "formal" than a format like the Lincoln club.

We are still a fairly small group. As of this morning, there are 175 members that have 50 postings or more (of course this doesn't take into accout "lurkers" who enjoy the forum, but don't post, "newbies" who have just started posting, and regular members who don't post everything that goes through their head...like I do [)]). From a numbers standpoint, we probably don't need it sliced and diced any finer, but if it would help members enjoy the forum more and participate more, then I'm all for it.

OTOH, I kind of like the idea of a FAQ section. I know that some feel this makes the forum a little more impersonal, but I think some questions that are asked over and over again don't get complete and proper answers because members get tired of writing the same reply over and over. Maybe the FAQ section could be made not completely obvious to a newbie to the site so they would ask their common question in the regular forum, be welcomed and encouraged by the members, directed to the proper section of the FAQ, then invited back to ask more detailed questions and participate in other discussions. Just a thought.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't have strong feelings about this. I guess it could be one category or 20 and I'd still hang out here and enjoy it. The current format somehow seems a little more "friendly" to me and less "formal" than a format like the Lincoln club.

We are still a fairly small group. As of this morning, there are 175 members that have 50 postings or more (of course this doesn't take into accout "lurkers" who enjoy the forum, but don't post, "newbies" who have just started posting, and regular members who don't post everything that goes through their head...like I do [)]). From a numbers standpoint, we probably don't need it sliced and diced any finer, but if it would help members enjoy the forum more and participate more, then I'm all for it.

OTOH, I kind of like the idea of a FAQ section. I know that some feel this makes the forum a little more impersonal, but I think some questions that are asked over and over again don't get complete and proper answers because members get tired of writing the same reply over and over. Maybe the FAQ section could be made not completely obvious to a newbie to the site so they would ask their common question in the regular forum, be welcomed and encouraged by the members, directed to the proper section of the FAQ, then invited back to ask more detailed questions and participate in other discussions. Just a thought.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

In other words, according to Dick, I had better post more often (not yet up to 50 postings) in order for me to be counted.

Comment

In other words, according to Dick, I had better post more often (not yet up to 50 postings) in order for me to be counted.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

Yea...get with it Art

My stab at 50 postings defining an "active member" is probably a pretty poor metric in retrospect. [B)]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

Yea...get with it Art

My stab at 50 postings defining an "active member" is probably a pretty poor metric in retrospect. [B)]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

No, you're right Dick. I'm not really an active member but I am an active reader/listener.

Comment

No, you're right Dick. I'm not really an active member but I am an active reader/listener.

Comment

At this point I only have two things that I would change if it were up to me~
                        • An ads page for NOTHING BUT ADS ('look what I found on wxyz.com', cars/parts I have for sale, etc...)
                        • The FAQ Forum that has been discussed before

Just my $.02!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                        V/P San Diego County SDC
                        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                        '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                        '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

At this point I only have two things that I would change if it were up to me~
                          • An ads page for NOTHING BUT ADS ('look what I found on wxyz.com', cars/parts I have for sale, etc...)
                          • The FAQ Forum that has been discussed before

Just my $.02!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                          V/P San Diego County SDC
                          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but when I open up one of the forums I can view the 35 most current (or active) threads. Is there any way to have MORE threads to scroll thru rather than to have to jump to Page 2? In other words, keep more of the threads on the "front page, so to speak.

I DON'T think an "Ads Page" in and by itself, is a good thing. I don't see a problem with saying: "Hey! I just listed some stuff on ebay!" Ebay's gonna happen whether this site lives or dies so you might as well embrace it to some degree. On the other hand, I wouldn't wanna see this site start to compete with TW's classifieds. Might well be timely and all that hoo-ha, but I'm not ready to make the jump to a cyber-TW and that's where it would want to go once you encourage more advertizing to cross over.
                            Also, just like I sometimes offer stuff to other forum members when they profess a need, I don't see it as robbing TW of revenue since I wouldn't take the time nor spend the money to write and run ads for the stuff there. If I were trying to be a "vendor", that would be something else. But as it is now, I just like to get some recompense for saving this stuff thru the years until it finds a home. After all, some of it I PAID for and have fought to keep instead of bowing to county zoning nazis.

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but when I open up one of the forums I can view the 35 most current (or active) threads. Is there any way to have MORE threads to scroll thru rather than to have to jump to Page 2? In other words, keep more of the threads on the "front page, so to speak.

I DON'T think an "Ads Page" in and by itself, is a good thing. I don't see a problem with saying: "Hey! I just listed some stuff on ebay!" Ebay's gonna happen whether this site lives or dies so you might as well embrace it to some degree. On the other hand, I wouldn't wanna see this site start to compete with TW's classifieds. Might well be timely and all that hoo-ha, but I'm not ready to make the jump to a cyber-TW and that's where it would want to go once you encourage more advertizing to cross over.
                              Also, just like I sometimes offer stuff to other forum members when they profess a need, I don't see it as robbing TW of revenue since I wouldn't take the time nor spend the money to write and run ads for the stuff there. If I were trying to be a "vendor", that would be something else. But as it is now, I just like to get some recompense for saving this stuff thru the years until it finds a home. After all, some of it I PAID for and have fought to keep instead of bowing to county zoning nazis.

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X