PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover driver side 55 state sedan

joel
11-27-2006, 02:38 AM
Hello everyone, first time asking for help on the forum. I looked thru the shop manual for how to remove the valve covers on a 259 V8 (on my 1955 Studebaker State Sedan) but cannot find any detailed info on what is required to remove the drivers side valve cover? I am having trouble removing and replacing the drivers side valve cover on my 55 State Sedan. It is equipped with power steering, power brakes, and automatic trans. I have no trouble removing and replacing the passenger side cover. The drivers side is another story. There is no room to remove the driver side with out first removing the power steering reservoir cover/cap (if not the whole pump?), the hydrovac vacuum hose, the anti creep switch for the automatic trans, and what looks like the speedometer cable sticking out of the fire wall, all block the cover from easily coming off. I removed the power steering reservoir cover, the anti creep switch, pulled and moved the spark plug leads out of the way, and finally the vacuum hose that goes to the hydrovac unit. Still there is almost no room to remove the cover. I got it out but it is VERY TIGHT, what looks like the speedometer cable protruds from the firewall and blocks it from going back in, is this the speedometer cable? I have to bend the hell out of it????? In addition, the vacuum inlet port of the hydrovac needs to be removed to allow any room to re install the cover? Can anyone tell me were in the shop manual the removal of the speedometer cable is described? There is no detailed process describing removal of the drivers side valve cover so you can adjust the valves, it is only in the engine rebuild section and it does not assume the engine is in the car with all the obstructions? Can anyone help me with this problem? Should I remove the speedometer cable and how is that done? Thanks for any help? Anyone else have this problem????

64V-K7
11-27-2006, 07:21 AM
HI,
I also have a 55 Prez State, but no power steering. I also have the cable that contacts the top of the drivers side valve cover. There's no way to add extra clearance, so handle it with care. It's the emergency brake cable.
I find it easier to remove the valve cover, if I first, remove the battery and the spark plug wires The vacuum line to the Hydrovac isn't a big deal, and my No-Rol switch isn't in the way. BTW, if you remove the No-rol switch, then you have effectively, taken it out of adjustment. It will have to be reset, to work properly. Another thing, to keep the cable from sawing thru the valve cover, cut a piece of small diameter, rubber hose lengthwise and slide it in between the cable and cover.

64V-K7
11-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Just thought of another thing, regarding the proximity of the Hydrovac. The large protrusion towards the valve cover , is probably the old style check valve. You can remove all that and install an angle fitting with a proper size hose barb. Then, to the local FLAPS for a modern, plastic, check valve, found on those 'Help" cards..

joel
11-27-2006, 10:25 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO 55PREZ. AT LEAST THE PARKING BRAKE CABLE IS A LITTLE FORGIVING, AND MY BENDING IT A LITTLE WILL NOT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS. I WILL HAVE TO MOVE THE POWER STEERING JUST TO GET IT BACK IN? NO AMOUNT OF WORKING WITH THE COVER WILL GET IT BACK IN, OUT WAS A PINCH BUT AT LEAST I GOT IT OUT.

JOEL HIRTLE
COLUMBUS OHIO.