PDA

View Full Version : High Powered Studebaker Article

Mark57
12-20-2008, 02:59 PM
For Bob Palma: I finally got my hands on a copy of "Collectible Automobile" last week and read your article on high powered Stude's. Quite enjoyable and learned 1 or 2 things I did not know before. [^]:)

My question: I had thought that Studebaker also offered R1 and R2 factory power in the Champ pick-up line, although very few were ordered and built - I think. How come no mention of these in the article? [8)] Edited out, or?

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0305a.jpg

Transtar60
12-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Mark
Only two engineering mules were built and supposedly used by the Granatelli Team . One was black and one white.

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10056/5E13%20Pic%203.JPG
3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28

59 Lark
etc

Mark57
12-20-2008, 03:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Mark
Only two engineering mules were built and supposedly used by the Granatelli Team . One was black and one white.

Thanks Charlie - that's what I had heard, but I've also read somewhere (fading memory) that it was possible to order an R1 or R2 Champ in 63/64 - but maybe my recollection is off base (wouldn't be the first time!). [:I]

<h5>[b]Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>

BobPalma
12-20-2008, 03:57 PM
:) Mark: 'Glad you enjoyed the article.

Charlie (Transtar 60) is correct; only two R2-powered Champs were built: one white, one black. But my personal experience, following, suggests the white one never had anything to do with the Granatellis.

The black one, an R2/4-speed (Serial 19345) is alive and well and accounted for out west. The white one, an R2/Flightomatic (Serial 19327) fell off the face of the earth and hasn't been seen for years.

But I did see, touch, feel, and sit in the white one when it was brand new! It was originally ordered by an Indianapolis businessman through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis, where I hung out a lot as a teen-ager in 1962-1964. My mother had Snider's phone number memorized in case she was looking for me. Many Studebaker dealer momentos from the era were given to me right then by Sales Manager John Knapp, who became a good friend.

Anyway, I was making my almost daily visit to "Snider's" one day after high school when tune-up man Bill "Slim" Mitchell, knowing my intense interest in high-performance Studes, saw me come in. He directed my attention to an obscure new Champ sitting in the back of the shop and said, "Go take a look under the hood of that white Champ, Bob."

YEE-HAA! An R2-powered Champ; now that was COOL! I looked it over thoroughly and was most impressed with the installation. These two trucks (I've never seen the black one in person) were virtually custom-made as to specific brackets and such that would be needed under the hood for various components; fitment requirments that would be unique to an R2 engine in a Champ truck.

The thing that impressed me most as to an oddity were the dual exhausts coming down the same side of the truck and exiting together, side-by-side. That's common today, but was unheard-of back then on a light-duty truck. It was necessitated by the gas tank location on the other side of the truck.

When I discussed this on the forum previously, Dick Quinn came up with a sharp, period Studebaker Engineering Department photo of the truck's underside before it left South Bend. Taken from underneath while the truck was on a hoist, it clearly showed the duals running parallel down the same side of the truck. (Dick wasn't questioning my memory -much as I wouldn't blame him if he did;)- but he just thought it was neat that the Engineering Department thought to photograph the installation before shipping the truck.)

Now at age 17, who thinks to go home and get their little Brownie Bullet camera and squeeze off a roll of film to have pictures of that truck at the dealership before delivery? Not me:(. I seriously doubt that Studebaker planned to make very many of those trucks, but who knows?

To answer your question (you knew I'd get around to it), I did not include them in the article because Collectible Automobile made it quite clear to me this was to be about Studebaker high-performance cars only; nothing else. I orginally included 1957 Packard Clippers, but that information was among the first block of material to get axed as I squeezed it down to their specified 2,500 words...although the actual count was 2,759 or thereabouts.

Mr. Biggs had asked about the 1957 Clippers not being included and as I told him, I'm a little surprised they retained my mention of the 1958 Packard Hawk. They were so focused on Studebakers only and cars only that it would not have surprised me if they had killed the Packard Hawk reference because it wasn't a "Studebaker."[:0] :DBP

Mark57
12-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks Bob... just have to get a plug in for Studebaker trucks wherever I can you know... ;):)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>

StudeRich
12-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes Mark your recollection IS off, I think it's contagious!:D Seems to happen here every now and then! :D

I happened to know a Frank Afton Studebaker Inglewood, CA Parts Dept. assistant Mgr. that bought his Champ from the nearby Paxton Products Div. in Santa Monica and at that time it had been re-painted Metallic Gray (don't know it's original color, it looked like Avanti Gray), but it was one of the two, and he told me that Joe G. told him they had taken it to Bonneville but not run it, that I cannot verify.
What I can verify is that this was one awesome hand built 8E7-112 wide box Truck! At least the special options were, it had the car T-10 4 speed floor shift, Avanti Power Disc. Brakes, 3.73 TT rear and the Super Jet Thrust R2 engine, it had no badges etc. He terrorized all the street racers on Hawthorne Blvd. from the A & W in Hawthorne to the Witch Stand on La Brea in West L.A. with that Truck! [^]

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Thanks Charlie - that's what I had heard, but I've also read somewhere (fading memory) that it was possible to order an R1 or R2 Champ in 63/64 - but maybe my recollection is off base (wouldn't be the first time!). [B)][:I]

Edit: OK I must really type slow, it took at least 19 min. to compose & spell check, and now MR. JT & Mark have posted! So if this happened in 1964 or '65 where does that put "Bob's" Black Truck in Indiana? Is this #3!!!![?] I am quite sure it was NOT a Flight-O-Matic!

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

BobPalma
12-20-2008, 04:24 PM
:) Rich: All extant documentation suggests the first one was white and the second one, black. Since we know the black one went out west, I'm sure it is the Granatelli-related one of which you speak, and would have been black originally. Cool that you crossed paths with an owner out there! :DBP

12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes Mark your recollection IS off, I think it's contagious!:D Seems to happen here every now and then! :D
I happened to know a Frank Afton Studebaker Inglewood, CA Parts Dept. assistant Mgr. that bought his Champ from the nearby Paxton Products Div. in Santa Monica and at that time it had been re-painted Metallic Gray (don't know it's original color, it looked like Avanti Gray), but it was one of the two, and he told me that Joe G. told him they had taken it to Bonneville but not run it, that I cannot verify.
What I can verify is that this was one awesome hand built 8E7-112 wide box Truck! At least the special options were, it had the car T-10 4 speed floor shift, [u]Avanti Power Disc. Brakes</u>, 3.73 TT rear and the Super Jet Thrust R2 engine, it had no badges etc. He terrorized all the street racers on Hawthorne Blvd. from the A & W in Hawthorne to the Witch Stand on La Brea in West L.A. with that Truck! [^]
Do you have any recall as to how they installed the disc brakes? I wouldn't think they would work on the truck spindles. The booster wouldn't be any problem with the 8E suspended pedals set-up. In fact, I ran a booster on my '64 8E7, but finally took it off because it was too sensitive (could lock them up too easily).
My Champ also had a R-1/Powershift set-up with a TT 3.73 rear. That truck was my intimidator in Boston. People there pull up on your right at a light and try to beat you across the intersection (where the street is still two lane). NOBODY ever beat me across those intersections when I was driving the Champ:D.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

BobPalma
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
:) There's no contradiction, Rich. The black one that went out west was the 4-speed truck, just as you said.

The only contradiction would be if the one you reference was indeed Avanti Grey originally, but you weren't certain of that since it had been color-changed. If it honest-to-gosh-for-certain was originally Avanti Grey, then I'll bet the Granatellis assembled it out there. They had a lot of spare R-series engines arriving from South Bend for various enhancements (((;)[:0]))) before setting any Bonneville records!

But I'm betting the one you reference was indeed the black oneriginally. All the stars point in that direction. :DBP

StudeRich
12-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Interesting story Bob, I wonder if the Granatellis request Trumped the Indianapolis buyers order, and he never got his Truck?

BobPalma
12-20-2008, 04:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Interesting story Bob, I wonder if the Granatellis request Trumped the Indianapolis buyers order, and he never got his Truck?

:)Now I'm confused, Rich.

I see no conflict at all between our two stories about two different trucks: The black truck was a 4-speed and went out west, where your contact/friend in the Frank Afton Studebaker Parts Dept. bought it through the Granatelli enterprise.

The white truck was an automatic and was sent and delivered to a private individual through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis. I do know the white truck was sold and delivered here, because I saw it back at Snider (briefly) for tune up or warranty work several weeks after it was delivered...but I never saw it again.

Two stories, two different trucks; "no problem" as Alf would say on TV! :DBP

12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

:) Mark: 'Glad you enjoyed the article.
Charlie (Transtar 60) is correct; only two R2-powered Champs were built: one white, one black. But my personal experience, following, suggests the white one never had anything to do with the Granatellis.
The black one, an R2/4-speed (Serial 19345) is alive and well and accounted for out west. The white one, an R2/Flightomatic (Serial 19327) fell off the face of the earth and hasn't been seen for years.
But I did see, touch, feel, and sit in the white one when it was brand new! It was originally ordered by an Indianapolis businessman through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis, where I hung out a lot as a teen-ager in 1962-1964. My mother had Snider's phone number memorized in case she was looking for me. Many Studebaker dealer momentos from the era were given to me right then by Sales Manager John Knapp, who became a good friend.
Anyway, I was making my almost daily visit to "Snider's" one day after high school when tune-up man Bill "Slim" Mitchell, knowing my intense interest in high-performance Studes, saw me come in. He directed my attention to an obscure new Champ sitting in the back of the shop and said, "Go take a look under the hood of that white Champ, Bob."
YEE-HAA! An R2-powered Champ; now that was COOL! I looked it over thoroughly and was most impressed with the installation. These two trucks (I've never seen the black one in person) were virtually custom-made as to specific brackets and such that would be needed under the hood for various components; fitment requirments that would be unique to an R2 engine in a Champ truck.
The thing that impressed me most as to an oddity were the dual exhausts coming down the same side of the truck and exiting together, side-by-side. That's common today, but was unheard-of back then on a light-duty truck. It was necessitated by the gas tank location on the other side of the truck.

When I discussed this on the forum previously, Dick Quinn came up with a sharp, period Studebaker Engineering Department photo of the truck's underside before it left South Bend. Taken from underneath while the truck was on a hoist, it clearly showed the duals running parallel down the same side of the truck. (Dick wasn't questioning my memory -much as I wouldn't blame him if he did;)- but he just thought it was neat that the Engineering Department thought to photograph the installation before shipping the truck.)

I had a '64 R-1 Champ (8E-7) (of course I built it myself). I bought a very tired truck with a very tired 259. I stumbled on a wrecked '64 Avanti which I bought for $150 (1970). I happened to run in to the former owner one day at Ben Begier Studebaker (San Leandro, CA) where he was having some work done on his replacement Avanti. He told me the engine and Powershift in the car only had 1500 miles on them when it was totalled. So, out comes the tired 259 and in goes the R-1 and Powershift. I ended up pulling an 18' travel trailer from the SF Bay Area to Boston via Seattle, Washington and Yellowstone Park. It made an excellent tow vehicle. I used it with the R-1 for several more years, but in the early 70s when they went to low lead gas, I had trouble buying high enough octane gas that would keep it happy. So, I made a deal with JP where he pulled the R-1 (to put in a '64 convertible he had) and he put in a good '64 Cruiser 289. I continued to use the truck until 1983 when it was destroyed in a head-on crash.
Anyhow, what caught my interest in your post was that I did my exhaust the same way- two pipes running together on the r

StudeRich
12-20-2008, 05:21 PM
OK, sorry Bob, I thought it was the Black one you saw! I got them confused, then re-read your story of two trucks! Duh! [V]

:)Now I'm confused, Rich.

I see no conflict at all between our two stories about two different trucks: The black truck was a 4-speed and went out west, where your contact/friend in the Frank Afton Studebaker Parts Dept. bought it through the Granatelli enterprise.

The white truck was an automatic and was sent and delivered to a private individual through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis. I do know the white truck was sold and delivered here, because I saw it back at Snider (briefly) for tune up or warranty work several weeks after it was delivered...but I never saw it again.

Two stories, two different trucks; "no problem" as Alf would say on TV! :DBP

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Green53
12-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Bob- Come on out to see us in Arizona and I will show you the black one.
Denny L

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/Daytona64/53Stude2015.jpg

BobPalma
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k
The way the engines moved around was interesting. John eventually sold the convertible to Skip Lackie who kept it for a number of years, but never completed it. He finally sold it back to John who sold it to Nate who sold it back to John who then sold it to Jim Turner. I don't know if Jim still has it or not.
Paul Johnson

:) Paul: Yes, Jim Turner still has that 1964 convertible and is accumulating pieces for a soup-to-nuts restoration as we speak...er, type. He is planning to build it as an "R1+" with Powershift automatic.

When Leonard Shepherd sold me his white 1964 convertible in 2007 (thanks again, Leonard!), it had Studebaker dealer-installed air conditioning on it. I didn't like the A/C because it wasn't factory installed, hence, the car had standard-duty front springs under it. This caused it to sit a bit low in the front, a pet peeve of mine (a low front end suggesting tired springs and worn suspension components) that ranks second only to missing battery hold-downs.:([:0];)

Jim wanted the A/C setup for his 1964 convertible project, so I carefully removed and tagged every last piece of the unit and sold it to Jim. I got a cleaner engine room, an easier-to-clean interior, and the car rose about 3/4" in the front; just right! Jim got a nice unit that he will be able to install without chasing down all manner of brackets, fittings, small parts, and screws that someone "forgot" to keep with the "kit," as might be found at a swap meet.

So Jim's R1/Powershift convertible will have Studebaker air conditioning, his upgraded brakes all around, and a few other tricks he plans to make it a very roadable car. While it was originally Horizon Green ([xx(], per Jim himself), he's leaning toward doing it in the darker Jet Green.

And if you know Jim Turner, ;) it will look really slick all the way around no matter what color he paints it. :DBP

BobPalma
12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Green53

Hi Bob- Come on out to see us in Arizona and I will show you the black one.
Denny L

:) Cool beans, Denny; keep an eye on it! :DBP

laughinlark
12-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Hey Mark,
Cool read on the truck performance. An R2 Champ is the ultimate sleeper. Low gears & high HP. What a country! It must have caused a lot of kids to quit racing. "I got beat buy a Stude Truck." [B)] I've never heard of these two trucks before.

Thanks

Gordon

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/laughinlark/gordsjsmk-1.jpghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/laughinlark/11-28-07130-1.jpghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/laughinlark/all283.jpg

nels
12-21-2008, 09:16 AM
The black one out in Az, Denny's territory, was delivered with short wheel base and 4.55 TT rear gears. The PO listed power steering kit being shipped with the truck. When I saw it in 1977 the blower equipment was gone but the original engine was in it, it had am/fm, ps was not installed but it did have disc brakes. I don't remember how the brakes were installed but I do remember it had no backing plates behind the disc. It had the dual exhaust as Bob described. It was being used as a junk yard runner at a yard in Tucson and could be bought for 750 back then. I wasn't certain of its pedigree at the time and that was also a lot of money.

8E45E
12-21-2008, 09:54 AM

Bob, that's interesting to know the white one was built for a customer off the street. I was under the impression both were factory support vehicles for Granatelli's racing efforts.

Craig

12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
:) Paul: Yes, Jim Turner still has that 1964 convertible and is accumulating pieces for a scoop-to-nuts restoration as we speak...er, type. He is planning to build it as an "R1+" with Powershift automatic.
When Leonard Shepherd sold me his white 1964 convertible in 2007 (thanks again, Leonard!), it had Studebaker dealer-installed air conditioning on it. I didn't like the A/C because it wasn't factory installed, hence, the car had standard-duty front springs under it. This caused it to sit a bit low in the front, a pet peeve of mine (a low front end suggesting tired springs and worn suspension components) that ranks second only to missing battery hold-downs.:([:0];)

Thanks for the update. I'm sure it will be a real winner when Jim completes it.
I am intrigued by your distaste for dealer-installed Studebaker A/C. When I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire, built in Hamilton, factory A/C was not available so, other than after market A/C, my only choice was dealer-installed Studebaker A/C. The accessory Studebaker A/C came with every part found on a factory air set-up (except the HD suspension as you note)- viscous fan, different air ducting for the heater, etc. I did order the car with HD springs and shocks, BTW. So, while my A/C doesn't show on the build sheet, it was on the dealer invoice as part of the original deal. How would this situation rate with you:)?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

bams50
12-21-2008, 12:59 PM

scoop-to-nuts restoration as we speak

Isn't that "soup to nuts"??;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Warren Webb
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
About 4 years ago while helping a tenant move in, I met his father in law & he mentioned my black Champ looked like a R-2 truck that was at the dealership he worked in the 60's. He described it as a black Champ with supercharger & 4 speed. I believe he said the dealer had bought it from the Granetelli's. Last year on the show My Classic Car, Dennis Gage had a piece on a guy in Arizona that had a collection of Studes, & mentioned but not inspected was a black Champ supposedly with an R-2 & 4 speed.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

StudeRich
12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Warren, if the father in-law worked in Inglewood, it would be the same Truck, also later when it went to Arizona.

Studebaker Wheel
12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/truckavantipoweredcopy.jpg?t=1229910220

Above a copy of the Engineering Deviation Sheet for the Avanti powered 8E7 1/2 ton truck that was sent to Sniders in Indianapolis in late 1962. I covered this topic in my Almanac column for June 1995 and a follow up with comments by Bob Palma in Oct. 1995, so the issue has been covered and documented. The Deviation Sheet also has four 8 X 10" photos showing the installation. One of these of the exhaust system I had sent to Bob back in '95.

The sheet as shown above was originally two pages but I modified it slightly so as to fit on a single page.

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review

8E45E
12-21-2008, 09:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Above a copy of the Engineering Deviation Sheet for the Avanti powered 8E7 1/2 ton truck that was sent to Sniders in Indianapolis in late 1962. I covered this topic in my Almanac column for June 1995 and a follow up with comments by Bob Palma in Oct. 1995, so the issue has been covered and documented. The Deviation Sheet also has four 8 X 10" photos showing the installation. One of these of the exhaust system I had sent to Bob back in '95.

Interestingly the called they rear end a 'Power-Lok' instead of Twin Traction.

International also used the term 'Powr-Lok' to identify their limited-slip differential.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/469/20391495856_b420828501_k_d.jpg
Craig

StudeDave57
12-21-2008, 09:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Interestingly the called the rear end a 'Power-Lok' instead of Twin Traction.
International also used the term 'Powr-Lok' to identify their limited-slip differential. Craig
Ya beat me to the post, Craig!!! [:0] :( [xx(]
But still~ a most interesting thing, ain't it [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]

StudeRich
12-21-2008, 09:40 PM
That is really neat, Thanks Richard for posting it!
Can you imagine how much they LOST building that truck! Just the research necessary to create that parts list to completely custom build that Transmission to handle the stock two piece bolted yoke driveshaft is amazing!

Then there were the hand made Disc Brake brackets to replace the stock cast/forged Bendix "L" brackets so that it would fit the Truck spindles.

And this answers someone's question about what Supercharger setup was used as well. [^] It was a side mount S/C same as Avanti.

BobPalma
12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

scoop-to-nuts restoration as we speak

Isn't that "soup to nuts"??;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews

:)You're right, Bob, of course! Correction made. :DBP

BobPalma
12-21-2008, 10:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k
I am intrigued by your distaste for dealer-installed Studebaker A/C. When I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire, built in Hamilton, factory A/C was not available so, other than after market A/C, my only choice was dealer-installed Studebaker A/C. The accessory Studebaker A/C came with every part found on a factory air set-up (except the HD suspension as you note)- viscous fan, different air ducting for the heater, etc. I did order the car with HD springs and shocks, BTW. So, while my A/C doesn't show on the build sheet, it was on the dealer invoice as part of the original deal. How would this situation rate with you:)?

Paul Johnson

:) "No problem" with me, Paul. I would have left the air conditioning on the car if had been factory-installed, but more for authenticity as built than to have air conditioning.

I just didn't particularly want air conditioning anyway and between it being out of refrigerant and making the car sit too low in the front for my taste and having the opportunity to sell it to someone who wanted it without having to box it up and ship it (Jim also lives in the Indianapolis area), it just worked for me to remove it, get some of the money back I paid for the car, and get rid of something I personally didn't want.

I'm not necessarily "down" on Studebaker Dealer Air, Paul; it just isn't something I wanted on this car, all things considered. :DBP

sals54
12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
So whos gonna start building the clones???

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

BobPalma
12-21-2008, 10:45 PM
:) Good point, Sal: Not often do we have an extant, factory-generated instruction sheet for clone construction. :DBP

avantilover
12-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Is it possible to put a piece in TW about these Trucks, in the hope that someone out there knows where the White Truck is, or can confirm it's destruction if that's how things went?

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31883343@N00/sets/72157607158071811/show/

Desert Explorer
12-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I would also like to know where the white one ended up.
Awesome Deviation build sheet! That would be a nice point of departure to build a clone.

JDP
12-23-2008, 06:47 PM

[quote]Originally posted by 53k
While it was originally Horizon Green ([xx(], per Jim himself), he's leaning toward doing it in the darker Jet Green.

And if you know Jim Turner, ;) it will look really slick all the way around no matter what color he paints it. :DBP

I painted the under hood Jet Green when I had the car back in the 70's-80's I bought the car from American service center (ex Studebaker dealer) with a 259. It was sold new as a Florida rental car as I recall.

JDP/Maryland
Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
http://collectiblecars.nytimes.com/Contest/

N8N
12-23-2008, 06:54 PM

:) Paul: Yes, Jim Turner still has that 1964 convertible and is accumulating pieces for a soup-to-nuts restoration as we speak...er, type. He is planning to build it as an "R1+" with Powershift automatic.

Powershift? I thought it already had a 4-speed in it, only thing I knew it needed was a rear end (was still mobile, but an R1/4-speed in front of a 27 is probably not a good idea...)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

BobPalma
12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

Powershift? I thought it already had a 4-speed in it, only thing I knew it needed was a rear end (was still mobile, but an R1/4-speed in front of a 27 is probably not a good idea...)
nate

:)Nate: The above are Jim's overall plans. He hasn't started to work on the car; in fact, it is still sitting in Ft. Wayne at "Daytona62" Lee's Hoosier Home for Wayward and Fallen Studebakers, and has been for years.

I saw it in early 2005 when up there to pick up the Strato Blue 1964 convertible Jim got earlier in NY State through JDP and decided to sell when the Horizon Green one came along. (I bought the Strato Blue unit to straighten out a few things and then resell, with Jim's knowledge and blessing as he didn't have the time or inclination to do it.)

I'm not sure Jim has actually ever seen the Horizon Green convertible(!); he hadn't as of a year or so ago. But it is in good storage and will be ready for Jim to work on when the time comes. (Right now, Jim's recently-widowed father -his second wife; Jim's mother died decades ago- is in the process of moving to the Indianapolis area from Jim's original home in Rockford IL. Settling his Dad's affairs in Rockford is taking a good deal of Jim's time, so the flame on the stove under the Horizon Green convertible project has been turned off for the time being.) :DBP

stude1964
05-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Nels
How did they install the AM/FM in the Champ? I know a guy here who claims to have the last factory tow truck with an FM but have yet to see the truck. They must have made a different bezel or very least an adapter for the FM. We "made" one for my Dad's '64 Champ.
Rob in PA.