roof rack finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof rack finish

What is the factory finish on the wagonaire roof rack? Chrome? or stainless? Im going to take it off when I get the car ready for paint and would like to have it refinished as well

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

My Wagonaire has been gone for several years, but my recollection is that the long bars were all stainless, and that the "corner connector" pieces were chromed.

Comment

I think the "stanchions" are actually pot metal. If they are pitted, rechroming them may cost more than the paint job [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I think the "stanchions" are actually pot metal. If they are pitted, rechroming them may cost more than the paint job [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

[V] yea they have some pitting, also I hear that the gasket that sits under them and the roof is next to impossible to find, so I would create my own out of some thin rubber and trim around them.
        I will try to polish to the best of my ability and see what happens

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
        259cid flight o matic

Comment

The two cross-bars and the two side rails are chrome-plated 3/4" dia. steel tubes. The cross-bars have some wood inserts to hold the screws. I've thought about replacing these with electro-polished stainless instead of paying for plating. The side rails would be easy enough to bend. The cross-bars are slightened flattened to ovals over the middle of the bars to keep them from "singing" at highway speed. I haven't quite figured out how to press the oval section, but a big press brake would do it easily, if you know someone with a sheet metal shop. Would you - or anyone else - be interested in a new set of side rails and cross bars if I made a few sets?

The five cross slats that are screwed to the roof are stainless. I have reproduction rubber strips available with the correct "H" shapes on the end to fit the slats. $40/set of 5. These aren't available elsewhere, and they'll prevent the slats from scratching your new paint.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I ordered some roof rack parts from SASCO this past year. The stanchions are long gone, as are the cross-roof rack bars and the stanchion pads (I got the last 3!). They still had the bars that go between the stanchions and all of the needed screws (including the ones for the 5 stainless roof slats).

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

How much is a nice 61 roof rack worth?
              Allen

Comment

Gary,

I just sent you email about the slat strips.

Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                '60 Lark HT
                '63 Wagonaire
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

That would depend on just HOW NICE the chrome is, very nice looking for a nice driver but not perfect for show, should be between $100.00 and $300.00 depending on how good a friend buys it!

Less quality, less money!

quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

How much is a nice 61 roof rack worth?
                  Allen

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had my 56 wagon bars reproduced at a boat shop on thr Texas coast. If I remember correctly the orig. were chromed. All rusted and flaking after 50 years. The new ones are made out of SS boat rail same dia. as org. and they fit perfectly. Never to rust or pit again. My 56 stanchions are pot metal. Had them rechromed.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

All of the wagonaires that I have parted out had roof racks, and the flat bars that mount to the roof with the rubber under are stainless, the supports are pot metal and chrome the side bars and the end bars came in both stainless and chrome steel, they also use special anchors in the roof not just sheet metal screws.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Here is the part that needs to be refinished[xx(]

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                        259cid flight o matic

Comment

Working...
                        X