Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1952 Indy 500 video with Studebaker Parade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 Indy 500 video with Studebaker Parade!

I was watching a DVD of family films from a co-worker friend and when I got to this part I was thinking these trucks kind of look like Studebakers but I thought, naw it can't be.
    But then I saw the trailer that says "The Weasel" on it and I knew it was! [:0]
    I believe this is from the 1952 Indy 500.
    Studebaker was chosen to pace that year and it was also their Centennial so that must explain the parade.

I uploaded it to YouTube.
    Here's the link
    I was watching a DVD of family films from a co-worker friend and when I got to this part I was thinking these trucks kind of look like Studebakers but I thou...

Click on "Watch in High Quality" under the video for a better view.

From what I can read it looks like the original Conestoga wagon at the begining, Izzer buggy, WWI Ambulance, Studebaker's Last Wagon, a Weasel, a truck with a jet engine on the back that reads "Jet Engine for Air Power.
    There's some Indy cars, number 22 looks like it needed a push start! Maybe a 39? Champ, a 47-49 car, some 52's, and a lot more.
    Looks like Studebaker went through their vehicle collection.
    It also looks like the 52 Pace Car but it's going so fast it's hard to see.
    Enjoy!
    John V.

That's a great video. What's the problem with the right side of the camera lens?

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 50Champ

That's a great video. What's the problem with the right side of the camera lens?

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

Thanks.
      Hard to say, guess something was blocking it like a broken piece of film or something broke inside the camera or projector. The other movies look ok.
      The guy I got the dvd from said that it was his grandfather's camera.
      He said that there's some footage of his grandfather's farm with a few Studebaker trucks.
      He said his grandpa was friend's with someone at Mount Greenwood Studebaker so that's probably where they bought them.
      That also might explain why they filmed the Studebaker parade.
      He said when he was young and went to his grandfather's house they had a toy box there with a beat up Studebaker toy truck in it. I figured it was a National Products promo that was from that dealer.
      I'll look for the farm footage and upload it to YouTube.
      John V.
      I just checked the rest of the dvd, couldn't find any other Studebakers, there's one part in black and white that's has a dump truck, it could be a Stude, but the film is so bad I can't tell.

Comment

Seems to me Studebaker was the pacecar in 1952-anybody know? I don't remember,cause I was just born in february.['52]

Oglesby,Il.
        Anybody that drives faster than me is a maniac.Anybody that drives slower than me is an idiot.
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

A couple of observations. The first thing I noticed after admiring the cars was the crowd. Not a single fat person in the entire stands. What a difference to today. The other interesting thing was the simple fences. Also the spectators who were on the infield during the race. I wouldn't want to be there during a spinout. Ouch.

sals54
          sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Seems to me Studebaker was the pacecar in 1952-anybody know? I don't remember,cause I was just born in february.['52]
            You are correct!

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

There's a few pictures of the pace car on the Indy 500 website.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

A couple of observations. The first thing I noticed after admiring the cars was the crowd. Not a single fat person in the entire stands. What a difference to today. The other interesting thing was the simple fences. Also the spectators who were on the infield during the race. I wouldn't want to be there during a spinout. Ouch.

sals54
                I didn't notice all the thin people but I did notice the lack of a strong barrier too. [:0]

Comment

1952 Indy. Oh, yes! With Fresno's own Bill "Vuky" Vukovich. One of Indy's greatest racers. Led 150 laps when his steering failed on lap 192! Great racing family, but with 1st and 3rd generation meeting their end while racing. Tragic.

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for posting the video. Very nice.

Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO
                    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

That was a REALLY NEAT vid. Thanks for posting that! Wonder where those cars are now?
                      55 Commander Regal Coupe
                      XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                      KARR (Knightrider)
                      Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

This site shows every pace car since year one to date... www.indymotorspeedway.com/500pace.htm Of course they wanted Studebaker that year it was their 100th year in 1952. Where as Ford was only 50 years old the following year 1953.

Comment

Ah, the various Indianapolis 500 Pace Car sites. Always a source of accurate information.

On this site, for example, we learn the following:

1. The 1938 Hudson 112 Pace Car was powered by a V-6 engine.

2. The 1962 Studebaker Daytona Pace Car had 210 HP.

3. The 2001 Oldsmobile Bravada Pace "Car" probably had the most unusual engine configuration of all time: A 270 HP inline V-6! [:0]

...and the beat goes on... BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                          X