PDA

View Full Version : Relief from Ebay generic "Studebaker" sellers

garyash
12-19-2008, 04:25 PM
When I hit the saved search button on my Ebay page, it showed there were 2805 items that met my search definition for Studebaker items. When I started looking at the items, there were a bunch of generic car parts vendors selling things that would never fit on a Studebaker. How many 1955 Studebakers had oxygen sensors, for example? There was a bunch of other crap, like way too many car covers, die cast models, brake hose sets, and reproduction manuals. I finally started copying down the seller id's, and put them in the Vendor/Exclude box in the Advanced Search refine. That cut the number of items down by 643, almost 25%, with only 14 vendors excluded! I think one vendor alone had 150-200 items, like universal seat belts.

It seems you can only "exclude" vendors after you do the search, not as part of a saved search. I finally sent myself an email with the list so I can copy and paste it in each time.

Bah, humbug! A pox on those vendors who clutter Ebay categories with junk.

[Rant over, now I feel better.]

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
Dartmouth, Mass.
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Roscomacaw
12-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, those folks have a right to pedal their wares, but it's really a pain to have to scroll thru 20 stupid wall clocks - umpteen million paint chip pages, thirty sets of cufflinks/hat pins, T-shirts, caps, car covers, etc., etc., etc..:(

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

bams50
12-19-2008, 04:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

20 stupid wall clocks - umpteen million paint chip pages, thirty sets of cufflinks/hat pins, T-shirts, caps, car covers, etc., etc., etc..:(

Ain't it the truth! That's a pretty good list. I'll add the brake line kits, 64-pc. bulb sets, and 20 of the same manuals[|)]

I learned to just take it all in stride. I don't think I'm ambitious enough to take Gary's proactive approach[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

studelark
12-19-2008, 04:57 PM
You are so right on, Gary. A lot of time is wasted wading through such long lists of the same old, same old. Yes vendors have the right to market their wares, but its a shame (crime) to over use venues that do not realistically match customers with their wares. Perhaps one day, our filtration technology will be better able to help us.

Merry Christmas, Gary, and to all our friends on the forum!!

Frank Drumheller
Louisa, VA
60S-W6
1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

StudeRich
12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I have a "Saved Search" for "Studebaker" under Classic and Antique Auto PARTS.

And I have another one for "Studebaker" Cars and Trucks.

This eliminates most of the "stuff"!

shawn in omaha
12-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I really have no clue about studebakers but I have about 100 or so random studebaker parts of various kinds big, small, new and old.And I need to get rid of them for a fair price.One neat thing I found was two engines one assembled one disassembled as far as i can tell they are both mid fifties 8 cyl packard clipper. can you help?

Dick Clemens
12-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Back a few years ago I used to hear this same rationale about some of the Studebaker vendors. Their catalogs were full of junk items, pins,t-shirts, etc. Evidently that kept them going in the right direction, because today they are one of our largest vendors.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

TX Rebel
12-21-2008, 12:43 AM
I really get tired of vendors listing junky accessories like JC Whitney type headlight covers in ebay motors, and encourage everyone to report these pesky bozos for keyword spamming.
And yes, Shawn, perhaps I can help with your parts. I have Studes & Packards and will be in MO in Jan, will travel to SB in May & Cedar Rapids for the Intl Meet so maybe we can get together at some point.

Barry'd in Studes

barnlark
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

"Yeah, those folks have a right to pedal their wares, but it's really a pain to have to scroll thru 20 stupid wall clocks"

This one is particularly annoying. What's the market for that color?;)

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/ecf0_1.jpg[[IMG]

stude53
12-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Velveeta likes it.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

TX Rebel
12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I believe it was a factory color...

Barry'd in Studes

Avantidon
12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Dave, the color in the clock is a factory color for the Coupe Express P/U.

Clem64
12-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Boy I hear ya on the excess generic crapola. I've been considering installing a zerk fitting on the mouse wheel so it can be lubed[:0].

Dean Croft
Roseburg,OR

CLEM http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/Clem64Forum1A.jpg http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/CIMG1894sm.jpg DESEE

clonelark
12-24-2008, 12:33 AM
My daughter taught me a trick that helps some, look for key words on what they are listing, like clock and in the search word put studebaker -clock, now if you are looking for a clock for a stude that wont work. but maybe he has a different word in his listing you could use instead of clock like wall. it'd be -wall and you can use multiple -'s , -wall -brakeline -sets (64pcs sets) hope this helps, and you can save the search in your favorites.

clonelark aka wagonmaster

T-CAB
12-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Very Annoying and often false advertising!

I foolishly bought a set of "Custom Fit" brake lines for my 1964 Daytona. Not one line was the correct length. Every one have to be re-made. Could have bought the same items from my local store and saved shipping, and brokerage fees.

Also ordered a clock from the "Clock" vendor. Very slow shipping but it was OK.

T-Cab

barnlark
12-24-2008, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Avantidon

Dave, the color in the clock is a factory color for the Coupe Express P/U.

That was meant for Jeff..thus the ;)

bams50
12-24-2008, 06:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

This one is particularly annoying. What's the market for that color?;)

LOL! I got it, but I can't believe three in a row didn't![:I]:D

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

TX Rebel
12-24-2008, 05:46 PM
A very broad assumption on your part, I'd say. We all know of and envy Jeff's CE...

Barry'd in Studes

barnlark
12-24-2008, 06:59 PM
The assumption is he has a sense of humor. Which from personal email experience, I know he has an abundance of daily. We all love his truck..and err, pictures surrounded by the public. My beloved van in high school was same color. Envy is a deadly sin, though. ;):D

bondobilly
12-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Wow, I am glad I don't use E-bay to sell my "crap".