York venders: got 1/4 (patch) panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York venders: got 1/4 (patch) panels?

I'm going to replace the lower quarter panel section (between the door and wheel well) on my '50 coupe. I need both sides. I was told there are factory patch panels out there, and I would like to know if these exist. I will be at the York meet in March and would like to know my chances of finding them. I realize York is months away, but if there is no chance of replacement panels, maybe a vendor has a torch and a parts vehicle. Thanks.

Chuck/SDC mem. 9G-C5

Chuck, you can go to www.classicent.com and peruse through what they have available but when I checked they only show rear quarter patch panels for later models. They do have quite a bit of stuff for the models like you have but not stuff to repair rear quarters. I am not aware of anyone else that is producing what you need.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you mean the part of the qtr betw door & r fender, it should be easy enough to fabricate out of sheetmetal.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

TX: You're right about fabricating panels (if needed). Someone previously welded homemade patch panels on the quarters and did more damage than good. I'm going to have to cut out all the previous "repair", because it is beyond being saved. I was told by a couple guys that when Studebaker announced it was ending auto production, parts (including sheetmetal) were purchased by people looking at the future market. I was wondering if these quarter panels are out there. If not, I would rather go with donor panels to save time and be "right".

Chuck/SDC mem. 9G-C5

Comment

Yes, many people stockpiled stuff and we are still lucky enough to have Sasco around. However, that was 50 years ago! Much of the saved stuff that rusted/wore out has been used, and some parts are getting tough to get and will likely not be reproduced becasue the demand is too low. Now, many people are resorting to good used stuff, which is becoming harder to find because environmental controls have forced closing of junkyards that used to contain donor cars and have provided "green" tax credits to polluting industries.

Good luck in your parts search.

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X