1964 - Optional & Standard Flooring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 - Optional & Standard Flooring

I know in 1964 that Challengers got rubber flooring as standard equipment, but what about the Commander? Was rubberized flooring standard in an F4? Or was carpeting the normal fair? From previous discussions on 'Package' cars, I think we decided that carpet was standard in the package.

So what does everyone think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Tom: Page 7 of Section 9 in the PD-64-17 Large 1964 Salesman's Guide and Page 12 of the 1964 Confidential Advance Specifications (no form number, but I'm looking at an original) state that Commanders and Challengers both have rubberized floor covering.

Carpet standard in Daytona, Hawk, and Avanti.

No mention is made of carpeting being optional, either by itself or part of a package. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've always thought it was a bit amusing that early postwar Studes would sometimes feature carpet for the rear passenger area and rubber for the front.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've always thought it was a bit amusing that early postwar Studes would sometimes feature carpet for the rear passenger area and rubber for the front.
        Not all that "early," Bob; My 1955 Champion Regal Coupe, purchased from the original woman owner in 1963, had carpet (of sorts) in the rear and rubber mat up front.[:0] Like you, I wonder how late that was continued, although I suspect 1955 was it, or very close. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Interior carpeting was listed in several places as part of the package (including press release) for 1963, but I don't remember discontinued for 64. I thought it was also part of the higher cost to order the same package on lower trim models.

James

The Bell Collection
          Bellingham, WA.
          Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
          Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Bob,

Without consulting my parts books, I seem to recall that such was the case as late as '57 - maybe '58. I was lucky enough to score original, flecked green, mats as were standard in my '57 President 2-door, from SASCO awhile back. How long they'll LAST should I ever get around to using them - who knows? But I found it a bit amusing that the prestigious "President" nameplate would be used on a car with rubber mats.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

No mention is made of carpeting being optional, either by itself or part of a package. BP
              Starting on January 1st, 1964, carpeting was standard with the Commander Special model that was only available as a 2 door sedan.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Bob,

Without consulting my parts books, I seem to recall that such was the case as late as '57 - maybe '58. I was lucky enough to score original, flecked green, mats as were standard in my '57 President 2-door, from SASCO awhile back. How long they'll LAST should I ever get around to using them - who knows? But I found it a bit amusing that the prestigious "President" nameplate would be used on a car with rubber mats.[B)]
                That's right! Now that you mention it, Bob, our 1957 President 2-door also had rubber mats.[:0] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Starting on January 1st, 1964, carpeting was standard with the Commander Special model that was only available as a 2 door sedan.

Craig
                  True, Craig. Of course, the mid-year, Hamilton-only Commander Special had a whole Daytona interior and probably wasn't even thought of when these original 1964 materials were designed and specified for South Bend production in the summer of 1963. BP

Comment

So then carpet would only be on the Canadian "import" (in the US) late '64' 2 dr.'s that had the Commander "Special Package", complete Daytona HT bucket seat interior option, now that's VERY few! [:0]

I could swear that I read a Window sticker on a low level no carpet car at a new car Dealer's lot with the JT package or engine, that included the carpeting, but then it could have been a '63, I can't be sure and without a pic of it who knows! [8]

[quote]Originally posted by 8E45E
                    Starting on January 1st, 1964, carpeting was standard with the Commander Special model that was only available as a 2 door sedan. /quote]
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
                      I could swear that I read a Window sticker on a low level no carpet car at a new car Dealer's lot with the JT package or engine, that included the carpeting, but then it could have been a '63, I can't be sure and without a pic of it who knows! [8]
                      I believe I read previously carpeting was standard, regardless of the trim level on JT package cars. See the copy of the green sales letter on the 2nd page of this thread:

Craig

Comment

Yes; that is correct, Craig: Full floor carpeting was included with any complete high-performance package, regardless of model. (That fact was included in the High-Performance Studebakers article in Collectible Automobile.) BP

Comment

I should have said JT, or high performance when mentioning package in my last reply.
                          Beside the literature and press release, you can see the option #400 Carpeting Front and Rear listed in the production order for the 1st Super Lark (a Regal model).

James

The Bell Collection
                          Bellingham, WA.
                          Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                          Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Thanks Bob. The was carpet in the car when I got it, and it looked original. But who knows. As the Cade family had this car at one point, maybe Stephen knows if this had been replaced due to a lack of rubberized flooring(?).

Does that book show the option of bucket seats? I know the Commander Sport got them, but how about a plain jane?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut

I should have said JT, or high performance when mentioning package in my last reply.
                              Beside the literature and press release, you can see the option #400 Carpeting Front and Rear listed in the production order for the 1st Super Lark (a Regal model).
                              That would make sense as Nelson's R3 has carpeting. Actually, looking at the picture it's hard to tell though it does have the bucket seats.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X