Leveling a 61 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling a 61 Lark

I have a 61 Lark sedan and will be getting new tires soon. They have 165/75/15 and I want to go with 205's. It is a V8 car. Anyways, I would live to get rid of the nose up look and don't want to cut a coil. Can I run 205 front and 235 rear to bring the back up a bit? Just curious. Any other viable solutions?

I think all that is possible to jab under a 61 rear fender would be 225/75/15. By all means, raise the rear rather the lower the front on that car.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDC

I have a 61 Lark sedan and will be getting new tires soon. They have 165/75/15 and I want to go with 205's. It is a V8 car. Anyways, I would live to get rid of the nose up look and don't want to cut a coil. Can I run 205 front and 235 rear to bring the back up a bit? Just curious. Any other viable solutions?
      Another simple way to raise the rear is to use longer spring shackles. Jon Myer has had them made in a variety of lengths.
      Wow! 165s are way too small and you will need wider rims if you go with 235s (or even 215s).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
      Museum R-4 engine
      1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
      1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Lets see a pic of it and then we could possibly photshop it

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
        259cid flight o matic

Comment

Can't get the pic to post, sorry.

link here

Comment

Thats a nice one!

Dylan
            '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I think it sits quite nice for a stocker.

Those 165 75's are dangerously small for that car, however. They might hold up an old VW bug OK, but weren't designed to hold up the weight of a Lark.

I would put the same size tires all around. Keep in mind that if you do go to 205 75's that they are not recommended by many here on the 4 1/2" Studebaker wheels. I use them successfully, but others have had problems with that big of a tire on that narrow of a wheel.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Isn't that the car that Kent Fedor used to have?

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                  http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Ahh, Another four door! keep em running! Looks good!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

Yes- "Oscar". Luckily JDC bought it when he did- I came within a whisker of making a return to the Fedor farm

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I am very happy with it, although I did notice a puddle under it after the frezing and it looks to be antifreeze. Didn't have time to winterize before the weather got bad. I hope it popped a freeze plug and didn't crack the block. Needs a rebuild anyways. I would recommend doing business with Kent. Good guy, even brought me a grill for it. I have considered Crown Vic wheels. I need 15 x6, 4 1/2 inch back spacing, 5 x 4 1/2 wheels, correct?

Comment

Very nice looking '61 JDC (Joe)! [^] It has the drip rail moulding, grille moulding and special '61 Regal 4 Dr. only, Lark emblem on the "C" pillar not to mention the cool interior! []
                          Wow a real Regal! In the West they were very low sellers, same with '62's all you ever see are Deluxes

That wheel size sounds good, but if you are looking for the stock type Ford steel wheel they are discontinued, so if you do find them I would grab all I could find! [^]

You gotta get rid of those Pizza cutters though!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I added an additional leaf to my rear springs and it made a world of difference. Plus it was a low cost easy fix.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                            58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                            58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                            62 Daytona (White)
                            63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
                            57 Packard Wagon parts car
                            57 Packard sedan parts car
                            58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

Working...
                            X