1931 Studebaker sedan. How to ID model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Studebaker sedan. How to ID model

I am looking at buying a rust-free 4 door sedan, 6 cyl, no sidemounts,complete less the inside window roller handles and inside door handles. Also, missing the wooden floorboard. Engine is free, but not running at this time. 100% stock. Perfect original glass. Interior all there, but needs replacing.

How do I figure out the model of this sedan? Value? Where can I find these missing handles? Can a stress crack in the radiator shell be fixed? What type of metal were these radiator shells and trim made of.

I am in Tigard, OR. Feel free to call my cell at (503) 913-1205 if you can help me out. Time is of the essence as I am trying to buy this car and I'm afraid she's going to get sold out from under me if I don't move quickly.

Thank you,
    Tim

You need to get the body number off the firewall. If it starts with the number 53 it is a 1930, if 54 a 1931 and 55 is 1932. Of course the serial number off the left front frame rail would also tell but the body tag is quicker and easier. At that time (early '30's) Studebaker made three Eights and a Six so this would represent the least expensive car in the model line-up. The car shown above is a 1931 model 54. The wire wheels and side mounts were an option. The less expensive model, like the one you are looking at, had wood wheels and a rear mount.

As far as the model if it is a Six cylinder as you indicate it would simply be referred to as a Studebaker Six, no other designation needed. Not a Dictator, not a Commander, not a President, simply a Studebaker Six with a capital "S."

Anything including the radiator shell can be fixed. Door handles can be recast. Just depends on how much money you have to spend. As to value, who knows? It is worth exactly what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. If I were tell you that I have a wood frame house that was built in 1947 and has 3 bedrooms an unimproved basement and a five stall garage and ask how much is it worth could you tell me? Your guess on the value of this house would be no closer than my estimate on this car which I have never seen. Anyone who would try to appraise a car sight unseen is a fool. Even if you looked at it you could be off as much as 50%. Just ask people on this Newsgroup who have tried to estimate what a particular car will bring on ebay.

I generally tell people to pay what you can afford to lose.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
    X