New Guy 63 Wagonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy 63 Wagonaire

New to the forum. Been building hot rods and alike for many years and here is my story.

My wife has wanted an old station wagon for many years now. Originally she wanted a Falcon until she saw a Studebaker Wagonaire with the sliding roof. She new at some point the right one would come along and tonight it happened. I stopped by a good friend hot rod shop on my way home from work to drop off a part. As we were chatting he asked when I was going to start on my VW project. I said I'm over it because I'm having way to much fun with the American stuff and my wife really wanted a Studebaker wagon. He had heard of one in college town in the back of an apartment complex. So we took a drive in and out of a few different complexes until we found it. 1963 Wagonaire with original paint. The owner happened to be walking by so we stopped and asked if it was for sale. So the deal was struck, I got some cash and we came back with a trailer and away we went with my wife in tears of joy. It starts, drives and stops and it turns out that we are the second owners and the car has the original title and black and yellow California plates.

and the birthday girl

Once the rain stops for a day or two we will start to clean it out/up and make it safe and drivable. I think she is already making a list of resto parts.

63 Wagonaire

Welcome to the club. Keep us informed as the project goes forward.

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Congratulations on a great purchase. Know she will enjoy driving it once it is ready for the road. Also welcome to the world of Studedom. If I may suggest two things 1) Join the SDC, first year cost is only %19.95. 2) Find a local SDC Chapter in your area as they can be a great help to you. There is a list on the SDC site and I am sure there is one close to you in that big state you live in.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of Studebakers. Be sure to join the Studebaker Drivers Club (from this site). It is only $19.95 for your first year and includes 12 magazines that will help you with parts, sources, etc.

Are you sure that is a Wagonaire, with the desired sliding roof, or is it a wagon, with a fixed roof? It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears to be a fixed roof wagon.

Happy birthday to your wife. My wife drove a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire as her everyday car for many years.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Welcome to the wonderful world of Studebakers. Be sure to join the Studebaker Drivers Club (from this site). It is only $19.95 for your first year and includes 12 magazines that will help you with parts, sources, etc.

Are you sure that is a Wagonaire, with the desired sliding roof, or is it a wagon, with a fixed roof? It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears to be a fixed roof wagon.

Happy birthday to your wife. My wife drove a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire as her everyday car for many years.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          It is definitely a sliding roof. We kept opening and closing it last night. I will ask the wife to join the club since it is her car. I found someone parting out a 4 door so I think this weekend we will take a road trip and see what we can find for her's
          Thanks,
          Chris

63 Wagonaire

Comment

Chris,
            welcome, thats a cool find and it looks like she will be very pleased with it. Its a pretty similar story to my wagonaire find

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
            259cid flight o matic

Comment

Welcome to the world of Wagonaires! As you've found out, the headliners are made out of cardboard. Sorry, but there are no easy replacement options at this time. I'm going to be making a set out of perforated aluminum in the future - hopefully that will be light enough to work.

Don't forget to put your new Wagonaire on the registry:

Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              '60 Lark HT
              '63 Wagonaire
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. The project will be at the work shop this weekend hopefully. The cardboard headline we will make a new one just like the orginal. The idea is to keep the car looking pretty stock but lowered down a bit and super clean.

63 Wagonaire

Comment

Ahh, the wife factor! I wouldn't own my studebaker if it weren't for my wife as well! Its a good thing we ended up with women like that!

Also, I am slightly jealous! A 1963 Wagonaire is on my wish list! (of course, I want an R1 or R2 engine with a four speed, but I would take any one in decent shape if the price was right!...and if I was in the position to get another old car!)

Welcome to one of the best car clubs in the world!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

Cool car and welcome. You'll love that Champagne Gold color if you and your wife decide to keep it. That is the same color as my Lark. When mine was painted the original color they trough in a clear coat over top. I didn't know they were going to do that. But it brought that Champagne Gold paint to life.

Enjoy,
                    Gordon

Comment

I'm trying to talk her into keeping the gold. It will prob. end up all white with red interior.

63 Wagonaire

Comment

thats the exact same color scheme Im thinking of, white roof and gold or a blueish green metallic

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                        259cid flight o matic

Comment

Cool car, looks like a pretty decent Wagonaire!

I know we've had loads of fun with our Slidin' Roof '64. You'll love it. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Great car, thanks for saving it!
                            I've always wanted one...

And mention to your friends that they wont have to work about Christmas/birthday/anniversary present ideas for quite awhile.

Studebaker-International and SASCO gift certificates will come in handy!

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

thats the exact same color scheme Im thinking of, white roof and gold or a blueish green metallic

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

You can paint it any color or colors that you would like, but I thought that I would mention that Studebaker only offered these Wagonaires in monotone (no two-tone), except perhaps for some rare special fleet sale. Since you are new to these and your Wagonaire has been previously two-toned by someone, I thought that I would mention that a two-tone is not factory correct on these.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X