Why 1964 Lark Types were NOT Larks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why 1964 Lark Types were NOT Larks

The Studebaker Cruiser was a derivative of the Land Cruiser, long wheelbase luxury "Y" Body Studebakers built from the early 1930's to 1954, the 1955 President State, 1956-'57 President Classic and the 1958 President Sedan. The first Lark Cruiser, the '61, shared it's body with the 1959-'61 Heavy Duty Sedan, Taxi and Police car.

This small car "Lark" affiliation was a situation which Inglewood Calif. Studebaker Dealer Frank H. Afton a member of the Dealer Council, (as seen in the 1959 Lark Dealer announcement Corporation film; "Model X") did not like, and finally helped convince Management to correct on all models in 1964.

He went so far as to have most of the 1962 Lark Cruisers stripped of their front fender "Lark" nameplates, the holes filled and fenders re-painted to match, on the cars his Dealership sold, leaving the distinctive Gold "Cruiser" script proudly in place!

For the 1964 model year, they were changed from "Larks" to "Studebaker" Commanders, Daytonas, and Cruisers! [^]

I believe that the advertising agency or someone in Sales Dept. made a mistake on the Dealer showroom books and brochures that incorrectly listed the Commanders along with the Lark Challenger models as: "Larks". [V]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

For the 1964 model year, they were changed from "Larks" to "Studebaker" Commmanders, Daytonas, and Cruisers! [^]
    For 1963, the Lark name was dropped from the Cruiser series, and all 1963 advertising read "Avanti, Hawk, Cruiser, Lark". The first hint I got of Studebaker's de-emphasizing the 'Lark' name would be in the Popular Science's new car issue that had the '63 cars in it. The text for Studebaker noted that 'Cruiser' was a marque on its own; and not a sub-series of the Lark line, and went on to state "....this telegraphs some important changes for 1964." If I can find that copy of PS, I'll scan it when I get home.

Craig

Comment

That is correct Craig, even many Auto Parts Manufacturers and Dealers do refer to the Cruisers in their parts listings as a separate model from the Lark.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for that info StudeRich. We had a '64 Daytona and after joining the SDC and getting on the forum I kept seeing references to a '63 or '64 etc. Lark Cruiser or Daytona. I couldn't figure why those cars were 'called' that when as far as I knew they were just Cruiers and Daytonas. But being an empty sponge waiting for knowledge, I kept my mouth (or fingers) shut. Now I understand. People who have been talking Studebaker longer than I use an older verbage out of common habit, whereas I only knew what was published by Studebaker in 1964, which was only the name Daytona.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Many people call them "Lark TYPE" to differentiate them from the Hawk.

John

Comment

Good info Dad~ getting us up to speed on your 'new' ride are you [?] [?] [?]

I'm so glad my '65 is also a Cruiser- makes life so easy!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
            San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
            San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
            '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
            '55 PROTOTYPE panel van

post number '1965'
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President