TW References

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW References

Am I the only one who finds it frustrating to continually be referred to "See TW Jan 1983" or similar, or 1930s copies of Studebaker Wheel etc as mentioned in the Nov issue I got last week[?][?][?]

Just that it's fine for those who have these publications, I don't and I imagine many of the new members don't either so to all extents and purposes the references are "useless."

Perhaps it's possible to put TW's on DVD's maybe excluding Fred Fox's articles as I once read that he didn't wish them reprinted. Just so that interested folks can but the disks and have access to the material.

No criticism of BP nor anyone else intended, just that they have these materials and lot's of us don't.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Am I the only one who finds it frustrating to continually be referred to "See TW Jan 1983" or similar, or 1930s copies of Studebaker Wheel etc as mentioned in the Nov issue I got last week[?][?][?]

Just that it's fine for those who have these publications, I don't and I imagine many of the new members don't either so to all extents and purposes the references are "useless."

Perhaps it's possible to put TW's on DVD's maybe excluding Fred Fox's articles as I once read that he didn't wish them reprinted. Just so that interested folks can but the disks and have access to the material.

No criticism of BP nor anyone else intended, just that they have these materials and lot's of us don't.

One can see the frustration, but there are others who do have the issue referred to, and that particular back issue may even be available from Cornerstone if you want your own copy. Otherwise, I think you know very well if you ask nicely, someone here will scan and post it for you.[8]

Craig

Comment

No offense taken, John. How much does it cost to ship quantities of Turning-Wheels-sized magazines to Australia?

I ask because collections of Turning Wheels often go for little-to-nothing; sometimes only the cost of shipping. Many collections will be coming available in the next decade as the earliest members of SDC, the ones most likely to have complete collections, pass on...or at least wind down their involvement in the hobby. There's no reason to believe the price will escalate in the foreseeable future.

It's one thing for a member to pass away and leave behind a whole Studebaker that deteriorated terribly outside in the 28 years he never "got around to" restoring it, but magazines can be in much better shape if they were at least kept out of damp areas and away from rodents.

It would be an idea to investigate shipping costs and then solicit whole Turning Wheels collections. While scanning is a great idea, it takes time and that means money...and who wants to pay that cost if print copies are available so cheap, with little sign of the price escalating in the immediate future? (BTW: It's not terribly important that you have the earliest editions, because they contained a higher percentage of reprinted material from period magazines, not the newly-researched material toward which the magazine now leans.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The Avanti Owners Assoc. International (AOAI) just released all the back issues of their magazine on a CD-ROM for $100.

Perhaps TW could do something similar?

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Dwant to add to the frustration (which I share) but there is an index of sorts.

Happy Trails

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Most of us have experienced the value of having access to documents on CD or over the Internet. The equipment for scanning has improved greatly in capability and speed in the last few years. We should have a discussion with SDC officers about putting old TW's on a CD. The issues about author's rights need to be addressed. With SDC selling the CD's, it ought to satisfy legal and financial obligations.

Practically speaking, I've got 20-25 years worth of TW's plus about 10 years of the Antique Studebaker Club Review. These occupy about 8 ft of shelf space and file boxes. It's not fun to dig through to find a particular issue. Being able to look at things on a CD would be faster, easier, and occupy much less valuable space. Of course, I'd still keep the old paper copies in the attic in case I wanted to look at them. [Beats me why I'd need to do that if I had the CD's!]

The old TW index is very useful. As I remember, that was being done by an SDC member and he offered to sell the business a few years ago. I don't think I ever heard what happened with that, but new nothing has been indexed since 2000. It would be helpful to all of us to re-instate the indexing of TW so that we can at least find references to recent articles. How do we get this going again?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

The Avanti Owners Assoc. International (AOAI) just released all the back issues of their magazine on a CD-ROM for $100.

Perhaps TW could do something similar?
              I would definitely be interesting it that; especially if it goes all the way back the very first "Presidential Newsletter" from 1962!! I didn't start getting TW until 1978.

Craig

Comment

John C. - I find it interesting that you write this from Australia. For many years (decades), SDC sent copies of Turning Wheels to each of the Studebaker related clubs in Australia. These copies of Turning Wheels were supposed to be kept in a library fashion for all of the members of each local Studebaker club to use.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by garyash
                  We should have a discussion with SDC officers about putting old TW's on a CD. The issues about author's rights need to be addressed. With SDC selling the CD's, it ought to satisfy legal and financial obligations.
                  As a former journalist and having sat through more classes on copyright law than I care to remember, your point is well taken...but such concerns shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I doubt if TW...especially old TWs..had many paid articles or even articles that someone took the trouble to copyright. If the author sent the piece to TWs, it's property of the SDC.
                  In any event, I can't see many people coming back to the SDC demanding compensation for an article they probably weren't paid for in the first place.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

quote:Originally posted by garyash
                    We should have a discussion with SDC officers about putting old TW's on a CD. The issues about author's rights need to be addressed. With SDC selling the CD's, it ought to satisfy legal and financial obligations.
                    As a former journalist and having sat through more classes on copyright law than I care to remember, your point is well taken...but such concerns shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I doubt if TW...especially old TWs..had many paid articles or even articles that someone took the trouble to copyright. If the author sent the piece to TWs, it's property of the SDC.
                    In any event, I can't see many people coming back to the SDC demanding compensation for an article they probably weren't paid for in the first place.
                    Erroneous assumptions - The SDC Board has addressed this issue many times. Even many years ago, the Feature Article writer was paid for his input and he did copyright his material. The answer was always that he was going to put out his own publication containing the material.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Erroneous assumptions - The SDC Board has addressed this issue many times. Even many years ago, the Feature Article writer was paid for his input and he did copyright his material. The answer was always that he was going to put out his own publication containing the material.
                      I would also like to know about reprinted articles from Motor Trend, Road & Track, etc. Does permission to copy to a CD extend beyond a printed page from 30 years ago? Or does permission have to be granted from these magazines once again?

Craig

Comment

I have all my Turning Wheels from 1973 when I joined SDC and a few issues from before I joined that I have been able to buy. Each year is in a seperate magazine box on on book case in my garage in order. I also have all my Antique Studebaker reviews from the mid 70's to date stored the same way. All Avanti magazines from 1998 to date same way.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Well, I don't have the room for any paper copies, in fact I have just about disposed of my entire Studebaker collection, due to space and that I now have a car.

Yes, Gary, the club (now a Chapter whatever that means) has a library that could be accessed at the librarian's convenience.

Not really of much worry for me, just thought of those new folks who hardly know what their Studebaker is let alone what TW is.

As for the remarks re Fred Fox "gonna put out his own publication" - sounds like all those who are "gonna restore it someday" hopefully arrangements can be made, if not, later on with his literary executors.

John Clements
                          Lockleys South Australia

John Clements

Comment

John, tell me what you are looking for article wise and I will san put in a PRF file and send to you ASAP.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks Don, but there wasn't anything for me, just got a little bemused with the references to Fred's latest article as they were all (or mostly) esoteric sources of about 70 years ago, and it occurred that maybe a CD TW collection would be good for those who haven't got the full set.

Merry Xmas my friend

John Clements
                              Lockleys South Australia

John Clements

Comment

Working...
                              X