Early production '47 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early production '47 Champion

Ladies and Gentlemen; I am the Editor of our local Greater Virginia-SDC newsletter, [u]THE STUDEBAKER MENU</u>. I wish to do an article on a member's car which he purchased at the International Meet in Lancaster, PA. It is a very early 1947 Champion 4 door sedan. I do not have a scanner to show the production order, but here are the pertinent data.

For Stock order
    Serial Number G214499
    Engine Number G238090
    Body Number 927
    Date written 05-15-46
    Final assembly date 06-10-46
    Model 6G-W5
    Paint # and color P2134 Coronado Gray
    Trim 7177 GB Mohair

Options-
    Reinforced front and rear springs
    Front foam seat cushion

Accessories-
    AC 1398 FENDER ORNAMENT
    AC 1397 HOOD ORNAMENT
    AC 1368 PLASTIC WHEEL DISCS

Questions:
    1. What does 'GB' in GB Mohair mean?
    2. Were not the fender and hood ornaments standard equipment? Were they added by the dealer?
    3. What are AC 1368 "Plastic wheel discs". What do they look like and is this part number listed in any parts list? Are any available?

Thanks for any help, either factual or supposition.

Frank Drumheller
    Louisa, VA
    60S-W6
    1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Frank; Production commenced on May 7, 1946. The accessory hood ornament AC-1397 sold for $6.95, the AC-1398 Strat-o-lined fender ornaments were $4.15 pr. The wheel discs AC-1368 $10 for set of four. Factory list for the 6G W5 Four door sedan was $1158. Not 100% sure about the GB designation for the trim but most had Gray upholstery so the "G" is likely gray.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks, Richard, I knew you would come through. You answered my questions and I'll be able to do the article with 'expertise'. The owner of the car had speculated the plastic wheel discs may have been a substiute for metal (stainless) wheel caps due to wartime material shortages. Now we know!!!

Richard, you are appreciated!me, him

Frank Drumheller
      Louisa, VA
      60S-W6
      1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Working...
      X