Interesting Email From Excalibur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Email From Excalibur

I recently wrote Excalibur asking if they had any basket case Series One Roadsters. I explained the car having a drive train was not important because I plan on putting an R3 Avanti engine in it. This was the rather interesting reply I received:

You do realize t hat a no door car even a basket is about $35k? We have one the 14th car we built. FYI the 327 corvette engine in these cars is far ligter and faster than the R2 or R3 that was the 2nd reason we used a 327 GM rather than the 289 R2 from Studebaker. We have increased the HP on one we restored a few years ago by a lot just buy changing a few things in the engine (rockers etc) that car will smoke the Cobras. We have a client and friend that we take care of his cobras he has a BB and a SB and that early Excal will take them both.The protype with the R2 engine is fast but not fast enough to beat the 327 in the production cars.

1957 Packard Clipper
    1958 Golden Hawk
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1963 R2 Daytona
    1963 R2 GT Hawk
    1963 R1 Wagonaire
    1963 R4 Avanti
    1964 Champ
    1966 Cruiser

They are probably right about the engine. Only a real fan of the Excaliber would be hunting for an early car for the price of a roller to be $35K. But they are a lot more pleasing to the eye.

I'm sure that a SBC adds to the handling. On a lite car like that, and R3 would be fast but very nose heavy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I must be out of touch with this market. The last that I knew, driveable early Excalibers were about $15K with good ones about $20K, but that isn't from the factory.

Based on their $35K basket condition price, I wonder what they want for the '90 Avanti.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When you first mentioned your idea, I predicted that a car wouldn't come cheap.
        Thirty-five K is about what I expected based on the (admittedly few) early cars I've seen advertised.
        Series Is are collectable in their own right, were [u]never</u> really cheap, and fairly rare.

I still love your idea though.
        It's a worthwhile project, but like many worthwhile projects, not a cheap one.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I find it really hard to believe that an unblown Chevrolet similar in size to the 289 would perform better than an R3 Avanti engine that made the 1963 Avanti go 172 mph! The engine was placed closer to the middle on the early Excalibburs which should give it about a 60/40 weight distibution.

1957 Packard Clipper
          1958 Golden Hawk
          1963 Daytona Convertible
          1963 R2 Daytona
          1963 R2 GT Hawk
          1963 R1 Wagonaire
          1963 R4 Avanti
          1964 Champ
          1966 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

I find it really hard to believe that an unblown Chevrolet similar in size to the 289 would perform better than an R3 Avanti engine
            An R3 Avanti made 335 HP by most sources. A 1965 Chevy FI 327 made 375 HP. 600-800 HP out of a streetable non blown SBC is not uncommon. 600-800 HP out of a Studebaker engine is next to unheard of.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

We all love the Studebaker V8 and there are PLENTY of reasons to be enamoured of it, but let's face it--if you want horsepower, there's no cheaper or BETTER way than with the small block Chevrolet.

400 horses out of a Stude V8 is INSANELY expensive and difficult, but you can get that from a small block Chevy by hunting and pecking through a JEGS or Summit catalog for probably half the money or less.

What am I putting in my '56 Champion? An R1 Studebaker that I have about FOUR GRAND into and I'll be lucky to be putting out 300 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Take a decent used 289, and install two junk yard turbos and have well over 400 hp for under $1000 if you DIY. Ted started out about that basic, but now makes well over 600 HP BTW, the 335 HP is way under rated, the Plain Brown Wrapper puts more then that at the rear wheels.

JDP/Maryland
                Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Right On, JDP! See "On The Dyno" Page 9, November 2004 Turning Wheels. Also Pages 22-24 July 2003 Turning Wheels. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Take a decent used 289, and install two junk yard turbos and have well over 400 hp for under $1000 if you DIY. Ted started out about that basic, but now makes well over 600 HP BTW, the 335 HP is way under rated, the Plain Brown Wrapper puts more then that at the rear wheels.

JDP/Maryland
                    Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
                    Take a junk yard Chevy 350 , install two junk yard turbos and have well over 500 horsepower for under $1000.

The math works the same way.

The only reason to choose a Studebaker V8 for a strictly high performance application is primarily emotional. Not that there's anything wrong with that--I stand guilty as charged.

Comment

Speaking of Ted, in all the years I attended the PSMCDs at Mid Michigan Motoplex, I don't recall ever seeing The Stude Tomato or Plain Brown Wrapper ever losing out to any stock 327 powered Chevy? He usually even put the hurt on the big blocks, Anyone else remember Ted losing to a stock 327?
                      Anyway even if it did happen occasionally, those R engines have proven they are no slouches. Ought to provide plenty of performance, sure they are expensive to build if you don't have the rare parts, but if you already own a complete R engine assembly, then it really ought not be much more expensive to rebuild than any other similar year offbrand.

Comment

The idea of installing an R-3 engine is a good one in the sense that Mr. Stevens used the Stude R-2 engine on the first one. Perhaps by using an aluminum aftermarket water manifold, intake & possibly the heads, the weight penalty of the Stude wouldn't be quite so bad & if the engines are set back as the previous blog stated, then the distribution would be much better than your average Avanti.

60 Lark convertible
                        61 Champ
                        62 Daytona convertible
                        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2)
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I think we can pick out a Stude motor or two that makes big HP...just as we can pick out SBC's like the one in the Champion Speed Shop dragster that runs 5's [:0].

Stude motors are cool. I love them. But if you want HP (at a realistic cost), there is no substitute for the small block Chevy...either stock or built. There IS a reason it has been the motor of choice for hot rods for over 50 years. This is NOTHING against a Stude motor and it is way cooler than a SBC...just not as much HP possible out of that early Stude design.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

Speaking of Ted, in all the years I attended the PSMCDs at Mid Michigan Motoplex, I don't recall ever seeing The Stude Tomato or Plain Brown Wrapper ever losing out to any stock 327 powered Chevy? He usually even put the hurt on the big blocks, Anyone else remember Ted losing to a stock 327?
                            Anyway even if it did happen occasionally, those R engines have proven they are no slouches. Ought to provide plenty of performance, sure they are expensive to build if you don't have the rare parts, but if you already own a complete R engine assembly, then it really ought not be much more expensive to rebuild than any other similar year offbrand.
                            Yeah, but aren't we talking about starting with a roller here. I suppose if you had an R3 ready to go, there would be absolutely NO reason NOT to use it. However, if you are starting from scratch, it would cost you about 5 times as much to build up an R3 when compared with a Chevy putting out a similar amount of power.

Comment

Money ain't everything. -unless ya ain't got any (me)
                              Nobody is going to beat the bottom line on SBC parts, the only engine made that you can overhaul for $99.95
                              (Owner of 3 SBC powered vehicles, and 5 Stude V-8s)

Comment

Working...
                              X