Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol Pete Corey's Stude stock car

Here's a picture of one of my childhood hero's cars- Stude-bodied:

I'm not bidding, since I have some pics already, including autographed ones[^] Frankly, I forgot he used a Stude body!

I met the Crescent Hillbilly after he had mostly retired from racing; a real character! He lost a leg in a racing accident in 1959, but not only didn't it stop him, he came back and still kicked tail afterward[8D]

If you're interested, here's a little more about him, including another picture of the Stude:

The second Stude pic was taken in the infield at Fonda Speedway in Fonda, NY in the early 60s. (And yes, the Cow Palace still stands, and still says "Cow Palace" on it[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Like so many things here, this brings back memories.
    In 1959-1960, I was working part time at a local used car lot. I helped a friend, that also worked there part time, to build up a stock car. It was a 1956 Golden Hawk. He raced it at Arlington Speedway (long gone) in the Town of Poughkeepsie, NY. Even with modifications including double shocks, the car plowed too much.
    At that same location, I drag raced my 1957 President Classic.
    I also worked on another 1956 Golden Hawk, that belonged to a different friend. That car had been a winning East Coast drag car. It was a black standard shift car.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
    X