Design a Post-66 Studebaker Grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design a Post-66 Studebaker Grille

I have a 66 Studebaker grille surround coming in the mail that got me thinking: This would be the easiest Studebaker to do a custom grille for (the grille area is just a big empty rectangle).

I took a picture of one from an ad and I blanked out the grille. I opened it up in MS Paint and started drawing (badly). I hope to do one of these for real in the surround I'm getting.

Here's a blank slate for you to download to your computer and edit:

Have at it!

I'll post a few of my own too.

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Here's the one I might actually try to make using 66 grille pieces:

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Here's an easy to create Mustang-like one:

Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      '60 Lark HT
      '63 Wagonaire
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Here's a more complicated one:

You get the idea.

Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        '60 Lark HT
        '63 Wagonaire
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Interesting stuff!

Chris Pile
          Midway Chapter SDC
          The Studebaker Special
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Okay, one more:

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Scott you missed your calling as a stylist! Neat stuff!

Studedude1961

Comment

Okay, I know it's coming. Show me one with either a 54 Chevy grille with extra teeth, or maybe a 50 Olds grille.

Come on, somebody already thought of that....[}]

Mark Anderson
                Member SDC and FMCA
                Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

Fun thread...if I had the software I'd pitch in too...

There was a '67 styling "prototype" being worked on in Hamilton near the end...iirc it reinstated the higher side moldings, and the grille was two, rather than four, rectangles, with the Hawk logo centred between. Looked more than somewhat like a Beaumont Acadian of a couple years earlier...It'd be cool to try recreating that car from an existing 65 or 66 sedan.

1967 BTW was Canada's centennial year, and it would have been neat if "Canada's Own Car" had still been around for the big party! Thinking maybe a red Daytona with white roof, and centennial leaf badges here and there, as a Centennial Edition...?

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Fun thread...if I had the software I'd pitch in too...

There was a '67 styling "prototype" being worked on in Hamilton near the end...iirc it reinstated the higher side moldings, and the grille was two, rather than four, rectangles, with the Hawk logo centred between. Looked more than somewhat like a Beaumont Acadian of a couple years earlier...It'd be cool to try recreating that car from an existing 65 or 66 sedan.

1967 BTW was Canada's centennial year, and it would have been neat if "Canada's Own Car" had still been around for the big party! Thinking maybe a red Daytona with white roof, and centennial leaf badges here and there, as a Centennial Edition...?

S.
                    Here is the conceptual drawing of it that was in Special Interest Autos in the seventies.

Craig

Comment

Interesting thread.

Was anyone else on the forum at the SDC Awards Banquet in Colorado Springs in 1973? IIRC, it was Brooks Stevens himself who spoke. He said Studebaker allowed them so little money to freshen up the 1966 models that they designed one small rectangular piece for the grille and then figured out how to use it four times to make a "new" grille for 1966 on the cheap! (Seriously; that's what he said.)

Geeze, talk about CAS Owner. How about CAS Company?[:0] BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Interesting thread.

Was anyone else on the forum at the SDC Awards Banquet in Colorado Springs in 1973? IIRC, it was Brooks Stevens himself who spoke. He said Studebaker allowed them so little money to freshen up the 1966 models that they designed one small rectangular piece for the grille and then figured out how to use it four times to make a "new" grille for 1966 on the cheap! (Seriously; that's what he said.)
                        Did he ever make mention of ideas.....if they had the money? Or presentations of what they would like to do first?
                        (you know go into board meeting shooting for the sky showing your design talents, and get ready to be brought back to earth.)
                        On any model.

ChopStu
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

How about a 59 Buick grille.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I remember seeing a picture of a 58 Packard with a 59 Ford Galaxie grille - the Buick grille reminded me of that.

Scott Rodgers
                            Los Angeles
                            SDC Member since 1989
                            '60 Lark HT
                            '63 Wagonaire
                            Scott Rodgers
                            Los Angeles
                            SDC Member since 1989
                            \'60 Lark HT
                            \'63 Wagonaire
                            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Yeah, the Packardbaker with the Ford grille section turned up on here quite recently...should be easy to find. It did indeed look quite "right", for a work of "jazz customisation"!

Thanks for finding and posting that piece about the '67 Stude study. Hadn't seen that before--just a photo of the car itself.

I remember seeing a couple of the HM&P renditions for "new" Hawk type cars to replace the GT. One was reminiscent of the '67 Caddy Eldorado with the long, squared-off front overhang and severe, but clean, roofline; the other could hardly have been more different, from the side reflecting a blend of K-body and Avanti lines, while the head on view (in a 1966 rendering, remember) was pretty much a circa-1977 Pontiac Firebird nose.

When you think about it...the mid-70s Firebirds have an awful lot of K-body about them in detail, don't they, despite their very different proportions?

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X