Where and When? Were you there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where and When? Were you there?

And what was particularly memorable about this meet?

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

It was my first NATIONAL MEET. My first time to be in South Bend. Other than that I haven't a clue. I was thinking it was 1984. But CRS has got me.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

And what was particularly memorable about this meet?
      Hmmmm[?][?][?]

....maybe that this was the first SDC International Meet where an "aerial photo" was taken of the Concours ....but that's just a wild guess.

Comment

Thanks Richard! Shades of 1983

It was the FIRST International Meet to be held in South Bend when we got to see the museum in the old Freeman-Spicer Building.

It was the LAST time an International Meet was held in South Bend where you got to see Avantis being assembled in one of the old Studebaker plants.

And your Tulip Cream '40 Champion with the Edwards Iron Works slide-in box is almost front and center in the pic I took from my room in the Americana Inn!

Craig

Comment

If it was South Bend after 1971, which it is (1983), I was there. I was probably out on that field doing authenticity judging in the CK Division.
          George Krem was SDC President then and Skip Lackie was SDC VP. Both are semi-regulars on this Forum.
          Some of the people that won Best of Division at that meet are now deceased (for some others, I do not know their status).

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It was the hottest (temp) of any International Meet I've ever been to!

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

I was there. I can see my 55 Commander in the picture.

Here is my photo album. My son is standing by the cars.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I remember this 1983 meet well. I drove the black 63 R2 convertible there (the one that Bob Palma mentions). It is seventh from the left in the Lark row (which starts near the left center of the picture).

If you look directly behind this row of Larks, you will see a red Stude Champion dirt track race car on a trailer. That is my dads. He pulled it there behind his blue 47 Champion 2 door sedan which the trailer is hooked to in the picture.

That was a great meet but my most memorable moment was following my brother around the Bendix track in the 63 convert with the roof down as he drove the Stude racer. The speedo on the Super lark read 110 mph on the back stretch (speedo needs calibrated so that was probably 10 mph high). Still, pretty fast for an open wheeled 1/4 mile dirt track racer.

Jeff Bradel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I was there.
                  Leonard Shepherd
                  Leonard: Did Sam Miller have 64V4240 at that meet? I can see several white 1964 Daytona convertibles, of course, but it would be difficult to identify a specific one from that distance. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,

I don't know if Sam's was there, but do you remember Harold Hendrick's white 64 convertible? It was an R2 powershift with black interior and was restored by Craig Piper in PA. Harold won best of Division in the Lark class at this meet.

I know that car well because it was my very first Studebaker. My dad bought me that car in 1976 when I was 14. I started to restore it but then came college, etc and the car sat in pieces. Harold really wanted my 64 convert so he traded me his black 63 R2 convertible (the car I mentioned above) that was already in really nice shape. No brainer for me. He sent the 64 convert to Craigs to be restored. In the end, he got his show car and I got one ready to drive. It was a win win for both of us.

I believe his 64 was later sold to Bob May, changed hands a couple more times, and is now in Australia somewhere.

Jeff Bradel

Comment

'Just barely remember Harold's car, Jeff. Good that it survived, even if it is dodging koalas and kangaroos. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
                        Hmmmm[?][?][?]

....maybe that this was the first SDC International Meet where an "aerial photo" was taken of the Concours ....but that's just a wild guess.
                        Here's a couple of more shots from the same vantage point.

Craig

Comment

Yes, the hot weather was the thing that most people would remember. I think it was around 105 degrees in the shade (and there was no shade) and the humidity was about 90%. At least the pre-war cars were on grass. That was the last meet that I ever showed a car for judging, the '40 Champion Coupe Pickup as mentioned by Craig. Won a First Place, I decided to go out a winner. Where that trophy is today, I know not. Thanks for the many responses. I have attended every national meet since 1968 and that was one of the more memorable.

Richard Quinn
                          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote: Leonard: Did Sam Miller have 64V4240 at that meet? I can see several white 1964 Daytona convertibles, of course, but it would be difficult to identify a specific one from that distance. BP
                            I don't think Sam was there, but I am not sure. I have his photos albums, but there are no photos of the 83 Meet, but lots of photos of the 71 South Bend Meet.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Yes, the hot weather was the thing that most people would remember. I think it was around 105 degrees in the shade (and there was no shade) and the humidity was about 90%. At least the pre-war cars were on grass. That was the last meet that I ever showed a car for judging, the '40 Champion Coupe Pickup as mentioned by Craig. Won a First Place, I decided to go out a winner. Where that trophy is today, I know not. Thanks for the many responses. I have attended every national meet since 1968 and that was one of the more memorable.

Richard Quinn
                              [?] Just curious, Dick: Why would you rank the 1983 meet as one of the more memorable? Not that it wasn't (I was there). 'Just curious as to your appraisal; that's all.

I'm pretty sure that was the meet at which I met Fred Fox for the first time. He asked me some questions about dual exhaust application and availability on 1955 cars. I about fainted when he took out a small notebook and made notes on what I said! Fred Fox taking notes from me? 'Couldn't believe it! BP

Comment

Working...
                              X