Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a supercharger be put on a Silver Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a supercharger be put on a Silver Hawk?

Can a supercharger from a Golden Hawk be used on a Silver Hawk if it has a 289? Would it fit under the hood, or would a GH hood need to be used?

Yes and no, Jerry. It's been done by using the lower Avanti R3 front engine mounts and lowering the rears a bit, too, but doing that carries the risk of inducing a driveline vibration by introducing driveline angles with which your particular car isn't happy. This is more likely if it is a 1957 model with a two-piece driveshaft.

We might solicit the photos of any Forum member, here, who has many images from Lancaster this past September. There was a tomato-soup-red 1953 Commander Starliner at Lancaster onto which a Pontiac GTO hood scoop/bulge had been grafted to clear the earlier supercharger setup.

That very car (including the GTO hood scoop) was crafted here in Indianapolis in the early 1970s by my long-time SDC friend Howe Clark. Howe sold the car to my brother Stan during Howe's first-wife "marital adjustment" period. It was almost done. My brother finished it and sold it fairly soon to someone in Ohio.

I saw it a couple years ago at Indianapolis Raceway Park during a street-race drags event, sporting Ohio plates, and was glad to see it had survived...and it still looked good at Lancaster. It was solid yellow when it left central Indiana about thirty years ago, but has been 1953 tomato-soup red many years now.

If someone has an image of the car from Lancaster, please post. It would help newby Jerry, here, understand what that modification looks like.

Otherwise, Jerry, although it will be more expensive, if you "for sure" want a supercharger under the stock hood of your Silver Hawk 289 without cutting the hood, it's better to pony up the $$$$ for a complete 1963/1964 Hawk/Lark setup with the lower water pump manifold for that very purpose (hood clearance). BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I bought a 1957 Silver Hawk one time that had a Supercharger on it.
      There were no hood clearance problems. There was a job ticket in
      the glove box from a Studebaker dealer in Centralia, Illinois with
      instructions for the mechanic to take the setup off another Studebaker and install it on the Silver Hawk.

Comment

quote:If someone has an image of the car from Lancaster, please post. It would help newby Jerry, here, understand what that modification looks like.
        I have a picture of it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I have a 57 Golden Hawk Hood, if needed.

Ebon...

"Holiday Cheers to ALL"

Comment

Nice GTO hoodscoop!

Chris Pile
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thank you very much, Leonard. (I should have just asked you to begin with, of course, but didn't want to wear out my welcome!)

Yes, in 1970 (or possibly 1971 at the latest), I watched Howe Clark graft that scoop and trailing bulge from a junk GTO hood. Swell craftsmanship, eh? I'm pleased the car has survived in such good condition; it really is a nice '53 Starliner.

Newby Jerry: To be completely honest, sometimes, but not often, guys get lucky and are able to install a complete 1957/1958 Golden Hawk setup on a car without a hood cut for clearance or lowered engine mounts. It depends on how the body and doghouse are fitted to the chassis of a given car.

However, if you are new to Studebakering, we do not want you to set out with the hope of doing that only to be disappointed. Hence, my "safe" post that originally answered your question.

(Thanks again, Leonard.) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If the height of the hood is still an issue, there is another way, and I've seen this done to a couple of Hawks with good success. Take some extra body shims and place them under the front fenders. Of course everything else will need to be realigned with the new position of the fenders, but it will raise the hood relative to the thickness of the shims.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Yeah, that is a neat addition...
                  Wonder what a later Hawk would look like with that?
                  (I have a 'glass Hawk hood lookin' for trouble[}])
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Nice GTO hoodscoop!
                  Chris Pile
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My '53, bought used in 59, had a dummy 56 bolt-on scoop that would have done very well to conceal a Paxton. It was cheap thin steel with a stainless front, rusted pretty bad by the time I got around to restoring the car. Maybe someone could find another one.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                    Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                    (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Hi,

Short answer: yes. I did it in the wild days of my youth. I used the entire variable-speed supercharger set-up from a 57 Golden Hawk and a high pressure fuel pump. If you can find a good 57 Golden Hawk fuel pump, that'll work fine. Otherwise get an electric racing fuel pump from Jegs or Summit. I used the Golden Hawk hood and overlay.

My supercharged Silver Hawk, with the automatic transmission, would chirp the tires at highway speeds when I punched it. The blower screamed like a Banshee giving birth.

The state police were kind enough to clock it at 135 mph one afternoon. Shortly after that I sold the car, and I have often wondered what became of it.

--Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Hawk Supercharged b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1713527Click image for larger version

Name:	Supercharger Silver Hawk_cr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1713528

Comment

Originally posted by trp3141592 View Post
                        Hi,

Short answer: yes. I did it in the wild days of my youth. I used the entire variable-speed supercharger set-up from a 57 Golden Hawk and a high pressure fuel pump. If you can find a good 57 Golden Hawk fuel pump, that'll work fine. Otherwise get an electric racing fuel pump from Jegs or Summit. I used the Golden Hawk hood and overlay.

My supercharged Silver Hawk, with the automatic transmission, would chirp the tires at highway speeds when I punched it. The blower screamed like a Banshee giving birth.

The state police were kind enough to clock it at 135 mph one afternoon. Shortly after that I sold the car, and I have often wondered what became of it.

--Tom

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63980[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63981[/ATTACH]
                        Tom what year did you sell this car? Jus Wonderin That's All.

Comment

Hi,

I sold it some time around 1984, in Niles, Michigan. As I recall it went to Berrien Springs, MI.

Never seen it since.

----Tom

Comment

jeryst, see post #48 on "The Doctor's Car" thread, (Members Pictures Section), for more information on this McCulloch supercharger addition.

The only thing I can add to that post would be that using the R3 type engine mounts WILL NOT create a driveline vibration as someone suggested, (even with a two-piece driveshaft), however I DO NOT recommend trying to lower the rear engine mount (or mounts), as someone also suggested!...Good luck!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              jeryst, see post #48 on "The Doctor's Car" thread, (Members Pictures Section), for more information on this McCulloch supercharger addition.

The only thing I can add to that post would be that using the R3 type engine mounts WILL NOT create a driveline vibration as someone suggested, (even with a two-piece driveshaft), however I DO NOT recommend trying to lower the rear engine mount (or mounts), as someone also suggested!...Good luck!!
                              Ed,
                              Your car is simply immaculate. It is also pretty much one of a kind. I bet the supercharger gets lots of ooos and aahs when you pop the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X