December TW question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December TW question

Inside the front cover is a beautiful 51 Commander owned by David Olmstead. I'm wondering, what is the silver thing on the LF fender??

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

'Just a do-dad, Bob, that is supposed to look like an external exhaust stack ala supercharged Auburns, etc. It's not a factory accessory.

That Commander has been somewhat personalized. For example, note the V-8 emblem and later Studebaker script on the C-pillar. I cannot pass judgement on the external rear-view mirror or spotlight as being authentic 1951 Studebaker accessories; they may or may not be.

Simple personalization; that's all. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't want to post my question since I am a relative youngster here and did not want to show my ignorance if it was something "legit".
      I figured if it was abnormal they would have mentioned it in the "about the covers" section, and there was no mention, so I just let it be. Thanks for clearing that up!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

Think WWII P-51/Mustang/Spitfire exhaust out the side. I think thats the look he was going for with the bullet nose...

KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't want to post my question since I am a relative youngster here and did not want to show my ignorance if it was something "legit".
          I figured if it was abnormal they would have mentioned it in the "about the covers" section, and there was no mention, so I just let it be. Thanks for clearing that up!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!
          That is a good point. The changes/variances on cover cars used to be pointed out on cars that are basically stock, not modified/custom. If a truly stock appearing Studebaker can not be used on a Turning Wheels cover, the non-stock items should be mentioned in the Cover Cars write-up. This especially helps new members and those restoring vehicles.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Maybe the non stock items were purposely left out of the write-up to focus the attention on the newly weds.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Just looked like "Bling" to me

Jon Stalnaker
              Editor, Hawk Talks
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I thought it was a Studebuick. Neat looking.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                X