Prestolite wiper brushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prestolite wiper brushes

Anyone ever replace theirs? I was cleaning my wiper motor and decided to open up the gearbox to clean and re-grease it. Noticed the old brushes have worn down to the nubs. I suppose they'll still work, but while it's open...
    The trick looks like it will be lining up the new ones correctly.
    Mine's a 4001 model.

Not sure of model Nos, but I've rebuilt my 53 commander's wiper motor and replaced the brushes. I've also replaced the brush holders (bakelite) and finally modified a broken one to work by notching it to hold the spring. Those little rascals are fragile. Beware!

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks Tom! I took the motor to my trusty local auto electic shop and he suggested I get a small piece of copper and tin both the end of the existing brush and the new piece, cut to fit complete with the little bend at the end, and solder the extension on. I had a thin piece in my plumbing stuff, used the snips and it worked like a charm.

Comment

Its great what a little 'make do' can accomplish, given incentive.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Just some FYI on this, but lots of local hardware stores have a drawer in the bolts & nuts section that has various sizes & types of electric motor brushes. If you find something close it's easy to sand it down to fit.

Comment

Working...
          X