Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any information on this picture???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any information on this picture???

Found while surfing the net:

Well, Rich, I'd say:

1. Jim Biddle was a Studebaker salesman.
    2. Those are probably his daughters.
    3. Either his wife was driving the car or he is short, judging from the position of the seat.
    4. The car is a 1953 or 1954 Champion Regal Coupe.
    5. It's summertime or they live in a warm climate.

Anything else you want to know? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Well, Rich, I'd say:

3. Either his wife was driving the car or he is short, judging from the position of the seat.

Did he sell cars for Palma-Rhoads Motors?? In fact, did Palma-Rhoads have any commission sales staff?

Craig

Comment

ROFLMAO! Thanks Bob.Ever work for CSI?

Comment

You guys are making it too hard. Just call the phone number.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

How about this...

This C-coupe has the color separation and Studebaker script on the c-pillar seam. I would assume that means it is filled? (Blame my dad for me knowing anything about filled c-pillar seams!)

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
            53-54 C/Ks, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Palma Rhoads Studebaker

" Wow! The Studebaker Special issue arrived in this morning's mail and looks very nice. Boy, you guys were under the gun to incorporate our recommendations for Patrick Foster's overview so late in the game. Fortunately, he is a good writer with an excellent working knowledge of the independents, so there were no major disasters to correct. It looks nice.

By the way, the Cambridge Grey 1956 Golden Hawk on the cover was sold new by my father; Palma-Rhoads Motors in Paris, Illinois. Yep, owner Patrick Doherty has copies of all the original retail sales information I furnished him when he bought the car, from documents I retained from the dealership. Patrick and his wife met my father in 2002 at The Studebaker Drivers Club International Meet in South Bend, when Dad was 85 years old. Dad turned 89 a couple months ago and is doing well; he'll be excited to see the car on the cover of HCC.

When I was 10 years old, I remember sitting in Patrick's 1956 Golden Hawk at the dealership before it was delivered new. The smell of new leather is not easily forgotten. Because it was an ordered car, it was not on the premises very long. But the trade-ins (there were two cars traded in on the deal, per records I still have) were on the premises far too long...and when it was all said and done, my Dad and his partner (who actually wrote the deal) lost just over 1,000 hard 1956 dollars as a result of ordering and selling that very car! Ouch!

Bob Palma
              Paris, Illinois "

JDP/Maryland
              Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Well, Rich, I'd say:

Did he sell cars for Palma-Rhoads Motors?? In fact, did Palma-Rhoads have any commission sales staff?

Craig
                Yes, Craig; one or two through the years. Dad and a guy named Floyd Phillips, who was a really good salesman because he knew everyone in town and was well-liked, did all the selling before Palma Motors "merged" with Harry Rhoads and formed Palma-Rhoads Motors.

After that, Harry Rhoads also sold cars. Dad said Harry was a lousy salesman because he was mechanically minded and so focused on Studebaker's mechanical nuances he bored people to death with his lengthy dissertations. Dad once said, "They'd listen to Harry for a half-hour and their eyes would glass over and they'd find an excuse to leave...and go buy a new Ford!"

They had a part-timer named Bob Grable, but his propensity for fermented grapes ultimately resulted in their separating. It was amicable, though, and in 1961, when I was 15 years old, Bob Grable hired me to work in his small Shell Service station before I could drive! The station was so small (one island; two pumps) he'd leave me there by myself Friday evenings. He'd occasionally return to remove money from the till and, to a 15-year-old, smelled and acted kinda funny, I thought.

Ah, youthful introduction to life's realities...including the fact that he ultimately stiffed me for about $24 in pay when he closed the station; quite a bit for a 15-year-old in 1961! But that job introduced me to the Shell Oil distributor for several counties around Paris, for whom I worked until we moved to Indianapolis in 1962. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm sorry guys.... But being the cynic that I am, just one quick glance of that photo nauseates me. I believe this to be a Cheap sales gimmick, from a salesman, who didn't believe in his product, and stooped so low as to exploit little children, for personal gain!

[)]

Comment

quote:I'm sorry guys.... But being the cynic that I am, just one quick glance of that photo nauseates me. I believe this to be a Cheap sales gimmick, from a salesman, who didn't believe in his product, and stooped so low as to exploit little children, for personal gain!

You have to be kidding. Right? Those two little girls are dressed to the nines for Sunday school and are sooo darn cute. The poor guy making peanuts and just scraping by probably had that picture on his desk to remind him why he was at work all day.

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible

Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by carbuff

I'm sorry guys.... But being the cynic that I am, just one quick glance of that photo nauseates me. I believe this to be a Cheap sales gimmick, from a salesman, who didn't believe in his product, and stooped so low as to exploit little children, for personal gain!

[)]
                      Californian?

Comment

Here is another salesman with a sign on his Studebaker.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Well George, the answer is MAYBE! If it is a '54, there is no seam! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW
                          How about this...
                          This C-coupe has the color separation and Studebaker script on the c-pillar seam. I would assume that means it is filled? (Blame my dad for me knowing anything about filled c-pillar seams!)--george

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Those two winsome lasses have to be about 5 years younger than me. Wonder if and where they live today.[:X][:X]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The C-pillar seam is much higher up than where that two-tone break is.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X