PDA

View Full Version : Shock absorbers- who makes em?

tstclr
11-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Is there a mainstreem auto parts mfgr that makes rear shocks for the Lark types? I'd like to get a set of air shocks to get me by until I can get new rear springs for my 64. I put the set of front springs that came with the car in yesterday and I think they came out of an 8 cylinder car (thicker steel, slightly taller) so... the car sits higher in the front than the rear. I need to raise the rear a bit to compensate..
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

prager
11-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Todd, long time since we last spoke..hope all is well..Do you have a Auto Zone? I went there and told them 62 Lark, and next thing ya know the guy has his part numbers and ordered them in and I had the correct shocks two days later..I think they are monroe? I'll have to look..Hope this helps..Wes

Still working to restore my 62 Lark in South Bend, Indiana

prager
11-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Todd, also what engine did you go with in your 63?

mbstude
11-25-2006, 12:32 PM
I got new gas shocks from Stephen Allen's Auto. www.mystudebaker.com

They are Gabriel Classics. Monroe was Studebaker's original supplier of shocks. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/side_body_avatar.jpg

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/

tstclr
11-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey Wes. All is well. I have a 4bbl 259 on a stand for my 63. I eventually want to go with a Paxtoned 289. I have pretty much all the bits to convert to a 4 speed-
Rebuilt T10
Bellhousing
Pedals
Fibreglass floor plate
linkage
etc.
Still working on getting a shifter for the bench seat. I have a 3.08 Dana 44 TT and would like to get better gears. I also need to get a driveshaft.
If it weren't for the help on here and the local Stude die hards, I'd never find the parts I need!
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

tstclr
11-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Mike, what supplier is that? I'm in Ontario.

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

prager
11-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Todd, sounds like you're on the right track! I have a 44 rear with 3:31 but not TT I would like to find the proper carrier to do so. I have not messed with rears too much, but I'll take a stab at it if I find a carrier..

tstclr
11-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Wes, I envy you being in SB. How many times a week to you pop into SASCO?
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

prager
11-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Todd, at first a bunch at Sasco... There are a bunch of Stude guys around here..I kinda go all over for parts..A ton of good used stuff down here.. I work across the street from Sasco, and do try to stop in often.. I work for the South Bend Police Dept. Our building is sitting where the former Stude power plant once stood. If you can ever make it down this way I'll gladly put you up!

tstclr
11-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Thinking of making the trip this Summer if I can get the time off. I'll let you know when I am coming. Also have to make sure the credit card is clear :D

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

CHAMP
11-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Todd, After you get everything done on your Lark don't forget to have the front end aligned.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

prager
11-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Todd, the national will be here in June..Drop me a line whenever you can make it down..The rent here is super cheap..Maybe a case of Black Label from up your way..:D..