The Legend of the Last Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Legend of the Last Block

We heard a rather interesting story today that sounded a little bit familiar to us. In Matthew's article in the November issue of Turning Wheels, he mentioned hearing stories of a never-machined Studebaker V8 block that someone found in the sand at the foundry. Imagine our delight to hear the same story today, from the people who found it! Could it be a hoax? Yet another elaborate tale...the Studebaker equivalent of Bigfoot? We'll let the names of the those who supposedly sneaked into the foundry (wearing flip-flops, no less) remain a mystery, but we have to ask: Is seeing believing? It appears that Bigfoot really does exist...

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

What, you thought my story wasn't true?

Seriously... While tailgating in the hotel parking lot at the South Bend meet, a truck pulls up at about 1 AM or so, and some guys get out and they have everyone get up to see their fresh find from the foundry.

This block was indeed what they found buried in the sand. I seen it the night they found it! Cool stuff indeed, and I'm glad the block is still around. I offered him $50 for it when he first showed it to us, and he wouldn't take it. [}] He was claiming it to be the 340 experimental engine... Haha!

Whether his story is true or not... A never machined Stude block is certainly interesting.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well, John; the block shown in the bed of that truck is scrap; it has barely half the cast iron that would be found in a usable block. If that's the last one cast, I can see why: They ran out of molten iron! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Imagine what the pan gasket would've looked like! [:0][xx(][xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What about the '65 & '66 R1 & R2 engines...?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It would seem to me that block would be a nice gift to Studebaker National Museum. Perhaps they could use it to illustrate the engine manufacturing process, even if it is a "clinker" as some have said.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
            Holdrege NE
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

If that block had been cast that way, it wouldn't look melted, as it does. there would be a different surface on the top. It would be flat instead of rounded.

Yeah, some pan gasket.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
              X