Substitute dash for a 63?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substitute dash for a 63?

I kept my 63 Daytona as stock as possible, but the 63 four-door I'm working on might get another dash. (I suppose a 62 thru 64 Stude would work for the body style.) My dash cover is a mess...the new covers are pricey as are the switches. I'm not good at fabricating a whole new dash but was hoping someone may have tried something else.

'62 won't fit as it has the wrap around windshield, but 63-66 will. Not too many options.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

64 is pretty similar. I prefer the 62- MUCH simpler, and you can get a new pad from Jim Lawrence for about $125[^]

Wonder how hard it would be to get it wired...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Oops- thanks for the info, Matt[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I'm putting a 64 dash in my 63 Wagonaire. I bought a green dash pad from SASCO that I'm going to paint black:

Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          '60 Lark HT
          '63 Wagonaire
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by scott.rodgers

I'm putting a 64 dash in my 63 Wagonaire. I bought a green dash pad from SASCO that I'm going to paint black:

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            that looks awesome, I gotta get one of those

1964 Daytona Wagonaire 259cid flight o matic with AC

Comment

What's the difference between 63 and 64 dashes??

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

63 has the vanity that cuts into the top of the dash. 64-6 has the more traditional flat dash top with the glove box below.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

A 63 dash is similar to a 64-65, but it has a fold-down "vanity" instead of a glove compartment door. As a result, the two dash pads are similar on the driver's side but completely different on the passenger side. The underlying metal frame is slightly different too.

Scott Rodgers
                  Los Angeles
                  SDC Member since 1989
                  '60 Lark HT
                  '63 Wagonaire
                  Scott Rodgers
                  Los Angeles
                  SDC Member since 1989
                  \'60 Lark HT
                  \'63 Wagonaire
                  \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I probably have a nice 63 dash with a vanity. Are they rare?

How long would it take to take one out?

Paul

Comment

What color is it Paul? I'm looking for a Red 63 Dash. Mines got a few cracks in it.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible

Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

55s; The two bolts on each side and the steering wheel clamp will take 10 min. manually or 1 Min. by power tool.

The time consuming part will be the oil gauge line, speedometer cable, wiring harness pull through, Radio Removal, E-Brake, air vent and hood cables etc. etc. maybe another hour or two, no big deal!

Un-cracked top pads from cooler climates are getting hard to find.

Tom, I think if you could find a '66 Dash with the Walnut trim and black switches (still available) it would be a nice change the pad is better quality, different leather grain pattern and different design in the corners (end caps) pretty COOL!

quote:Originally posted by 55s

How long would it take to take one out?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you, Rich! Have you got one FS?

Comment

Cracked dashes are typically reserved for hot dry climates and cars neglected in other areas.

Northern salty roads may chew up car bodies if they are driven, but there are many northern cars stored inside and having low miles. These cars have nice original interiors with uncracked dashes, low mileage engines, unworn rebuildable carburetors, distributors and wearable parts. Body rust can vary greatly.

Yes, Alan, I have a few 1963 red ones - now captured by several feet of snow.

Paul

Comment

I went the reverse route and installed a '63 dash in a '62 Lark. It bolted up, but there were some minor gaps and things that needed attention. As far as wiring, I think almost everything worked right, except I had to move the ignition swith to right of the steering wheel (in the cigarette lighter hole?) and I had problems with the number of wires going to the wiper. I think I ended up with a different wiper motor to make it all work. Other than that it went in well.

I'd guess you could put a '62 dash in a '63 in the same manner, but some additional work will be required.

Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X