Johnny Lightning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Lightning question

If you are looking for Stude toys, you find a lot of variations from Johnny Lightning. While examining a new one I just picked up, I noticed that the Playing Mantis company that does the Johnny Lightning cars is located in Mishawaka, IN.

Could this be why there are so many Studes from Johnny Lightning?

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Maybe.

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

If you are looking for Stude toys, you find a lot of variations from Johnny Lightning. While examining a new one I just picked up, I noticed that the Playing Mantis company that does the Johnny Lightning cars is located in Mishawaka, IN.

Could this be why there are so many Studes from Johnny Lightning?

--george
      That's very observant of you, George!!! The answer is ...YES! In addition, the very first toy models of the civilian HUMMER (also built in Mishawaka) were done by Playing Mantis. Having a model maker in town, has its advantages!

PS: It wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was a certain someone from Playing Mantis on this Forum who hopefully will chime in on this topic too!!!

Comment

I am really happy to see the selection of Studebakers from JL. It took them a few years before they started making Studebakers but once they did they made some nice ones. I'm looking forward to more models in their line up. Would love to see something from the 30's like a 1936 coupe.
        You may not know but Hot Wheels has come out with a new Avanti and it is pretty neet looking and will make a nice addition to your 1/64 scale collection.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:You may not know but Hot Wheels has come out with a new Avanti and it is pretty neet looking and will make a nice addition to your 1/64 scale collection.
          And so far the only place I've found it is on evilBay. It's impossible to find in the retail stores.

Chris Pile
          Midway Chapter SDC
          The Studebaker Special
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

OK, Lets Hit It. To ClaymoreWW email me at ltcrp@netscape.com I'll try to lead you through the JL, RC-2 Corp, ERTL, Learning Curve Brands, Playing Mantis, Tom Lowe's Auto World tangled mess when trying to figure out who ownes who. By the way Tom Lowe I believe is on the board of the SNM. Also what was the new Playing Mantis you just picked up?

Richard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

OK, Lets Hit It. To ClaymoreWW email me at ltcrp@netscape.com I'll try to lead you through the JL, RC-2 Corp, ERTL, Learning Curve Brands, Playing Mantis, Tom Lowe's Auto World tangled mess when trying to figure out who ownes who. By the way Tom Lowe I believe is on the board of the SNM. Also what was the new Playing Mantis you just picked up?

Richard
              Richard, is Tom Lowe, Ed Lowes' son?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

...Also what was the new Playing Mantis you just picked up?

Richard
                I've been buying some 1/64s and larger when they interest me and I am willing to pay the price offered. I haven't been able to find any in stores, so I resort to ebay.

I like the unpackaged ones because they are a little easier to display than the on-card ones. But I bought a Johnny Lightning Lava Mama's Champ on card and that is where I read the detail.

--george

Comment

I have found the Hot Wheels Avanti at Wal-Mart in Springfield, MO last month. I think they will be plentiful before it's over.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                  X