Studebaker in the News - Old Cars Weekly 12/4/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker in the News - Old Cars Weekly 12/4/08

Well Studebaker continues to grab the headlines in major US Auto Publications. In the 12/4 issue of Old Cars Weekly Studebaker has four (4) items. The first is a letter to the editor, the next two (2) are the Club Clips where both the SDC and AOAI are the featured clubs. Last but not least comes the full page article on Brian Tappan's 62 Champ Pickup. Brian is an SDC member from Milford, DE. While the article is basically factually correct the language leaves a lot to be desired. Noe the less, this is another stellar PR piece for our beloved Studebakers.

Here's the article

[img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

My issue just came in this afternoon's mail and I haven't looked at it yet. I am in a rush because I have to go to a Holiday Party at the CIA in less than an hour. Maybe this issue of OCW is the upcoming issue with Studebaker content that I posted a heads up (for those that are waiting to subscribe) for some time back.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hmmm... I have thought of my Transtar as a "classic", a "collector" and "vintage", but never a "relic"... [:0][B)] Maybe I would escape that moniker due to having a '63 V8 powerplant under the hood. [}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

As much as the article about this Champ is intriguing, Gary's attendance as a CIA party maybe says more.[}] Of course, it could be that it's the Champ Interest Assoc.. [^]

Kudos to the Tappans. I've owned 5 or 6 Champs thru the years and found them to be durable and serviceable.

I dropped off some used cooking utensils and clothes at a local thrift shop yesterday. The guy that met me at the back door of the place 'bout had a kitten when he saw Pete.[:0]
        I had to hear how his old galfriend had been given a Transtar by her dad years ago. Said it was the ONLY vehicle that stood up to the torture that she and he had put it thru. Swore there was NO tougher truck ever built. Of course, I agreed.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I had to hear how his old galfriend had been given a Transtar by her dad years ago. Said it was the ONLY vehicle that stood up to the torture that she and he had put it thru. Swore there was NO tougher truck ever built. Of course, I agreed.[^]
          Can't argue with that!! [^][8D][^]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

As much as the article about this Champ is intriguing, Gary's attendance as a CIA party maybe says more.[}] Of course, it could be that it's the Champ Interest Assoc.. [^]

Sorry, bad assumption due to the place being well known in this area. The CIA where I attended a holiday party is The Culinary Institute of America. This is where a lot of top chefs are trained. The CIA has dining locations on campus that are part of the training.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Gary. That explanation is much more palatable!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I just received my copy of Old Cars today and that was the first article I read. Very nice.
                By the way Gary, we've never had the opportunity to dine at CIA. It's only a couple of hours from us. We live on Long Island.
                Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Thanks for the clarification, Gary. That explanation is much more palatable!

That gave me pause for concern myself. I'm going to the local SDC holiday party at the FBI tomorrow. Fat Boys Institute.

Comment

It's amazing how you can learn something new every day![:0] I was not aware that Studebaker had a "new for-62, V8 with 289 cubic inches." I guess some writers don't think to verify their information before it goes to print. Oh well, what's a few details.

Dan Miller
                    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

For those who have read the article, I have already spoken with Angelo Van Bogar, the editor about some of the small errors in the article. I don't like to pick apart others but some are claring like the new for 62 V-8. Maybe he meant to say new for 61 overhead valve straight 6.

Mr. Biggs like you each time I take my Champ to Loews or Home Depot or somewhere like that I get many looks and comments and kittens. It is fun to see the looks

Gary, CIA is a great place to eat if you can get in. Keystone as a group was there several years ago on a Fall Tour. We were at Reinbeck for the day and Saturday's dinner was at the Institute. We pushed the cars back to the motel to work of the dinner.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                      X