1960 Convertible Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Convertible Colors

On Matthew's thread rearding body tags, we started talking about the Gulfstream Blue color on 1960 Convertibles. Theis made me wonder about which 1960 convertible colors were more common. I know I've seen a lot of these cars in white, red, yellow and black through the years (I used to own a Jonquil Yellow one), but less seen are the blues, greens, and tan. Anyone have any idea what the least popular convertible color was in '60?

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G
    Anyone have any idea what the least popular convertible color was in '60?
    I have seen one '60 convertible painted Pacific Blue, a Spring Color for that year. Generally, mid-year colors would be rarer than ones offered for the entire year.

Craig

Comment

My 1960 Convertible is Sudan Beige with a Black interior. Looks kind of like the beige I have seen on some of the new VW Beetle convertibles.

Comment

A neighbor of mine received a new yellow one for his 16th birthday, my convertible was sort of an off-white and a local friend recently sold his black car. They were all V8s. My point is, that without searching the production records, I would doubt that the popularity of particular colors on 1960 convertibles exists.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Since there has never been a Prod. Order count, all we have is the memory of those of us that were around in 1960 to guess.

For my part having been exposed to lots of new 1960 cars at the dealership where Dad worked and around the West Coast, my guess is that it was pretty much a tie between Jonquil Yellow and Red for the most popular and common!

Then the medium common colors would be; Beige and Ermine White.

With the two Blues, and two Greens Williamsburg & Oasis and Black trailing in last place.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It has occured to me that the most popular colors seem to be what is in the brochure of the year. The 62 Hawk brochure showed the side view in black. So beautiful, its no wonder that most 62 Hawks I've seen are black too. So also for the 60 brochure that showed the yellow Lark convertible. Today we have photoshop & can experiment with the colors to come up with what suits our personal tastes, but we only had our imagination back then.

60 Lark convertible
            61 Champ
            62 Daytona convertible
            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2)
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

It has occured to me that the most popular colors seem to be what is in the brochure of the year. The 62 Hawk brochure showed the side view in black. So beautiful, its no wonder that most 62 Hawks I've seen are black too. So also for the 60 brochure that showed the yellow Lark convertible. Today we have photoshop & can experiment with the colors to come up with what suits our personal tastes, but we only had our imagination back then.

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              It's funny you say that. Growing up in my hometown, there was a very sharp Strato Blue '64 Daytona Hardtop driven by the original owner until sold through the April '90 Turning Wheels, that was like the mechanical drawing of the same model in the '64 brochure. I always wondered if the owner went in and said, "I want one just like that!".

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment