Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebound rubbers

Hi again
    Does any body know an easier way to remove / replace the front suspension rebound rubbers. The only way to inspect them is to pull the suspension out/apart. Mine appear to be severely damaged.
    Thanks

62 GT Hawk
    Waterloo
    Victoria, Australia

You can generally jack the car up under the control arm that has the offending rebound bumper and reach in and spread out the rubber and pull it out.By jacking the car up under the control arm it will give you more room between the control arm and the frame to work it out.New bumpers are available here in the U.S. from most vendors,they are reproduced.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I hope that you are talking about the triangle shaped rubbers that mount to the frame. If that is the case, I agree with Frank that it is easily done by hand, unless someone has glued them on. If it is some other rubber part that you are talking about, than that is another conversation.
      Great looking GT. Did you add that antennae on the front, or does it still have the one on the trunk lid? And I gather from other threads here, that because the side grills are chrome, that the car was built in Hamilton.

Comment

And the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Comment

The car was assembled in Melbourne Victoria, but manufactured in Canada and I assume Hamilton. It doesn't have an aerial on the boot lid (trunk).
          I have the car in pieces right this minute doing some restoration work. Hope to have it back together before Christmas. It is no longer white, but a Dark Grey colour. Thanks for your comments, I'll post a new pic when it is finished.

1962 GT Hawk
          Waterloo, Victoria
          Australia

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

And the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
            NO!!! The steering wheel is on the "Opposite Side," not the WRONG side!

Comment

...and no it's not a postal vehicle [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

As others have stated, these can be pulled out and replaced with the car supported on the wheels. A wheel ramp will give you access. These bumpers are usually destroyed by leaving the car jacked up with the suspension hanging for a period of time. If you plan on raising the car for an extended period of time, it is a good idea to remove the rubbers and substitute a small piece of 2x4 wood before jacking the car. If you have the engine out of the car, then you will have to compress the springs with a 1/2" threaded rod or other methods to remove and replace the rubbers.

Comment

the steering wheel is on
                  the right side...

Comment

Oh no no, the steering wheel is on the Right side

1962 GT Hawk
                    Waterloo, Victoria
                    Australia

Comment

Working...
                    X