PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Lark engine mounts

Clover Green
12-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I am looking at a '59 Lark wagon. The car has a Chev V8 and 350 automatic transmission in it. I am not interested in the V8 or automatic particularly since the engine requires rebuild and I prefer to use Studebacker power. I have a spare earlier Champion 6 and 3 speed OD I'd like to install in the Lark.

Do you know if the frame engine mounts would have been altered to accept the Chev V8 (these were inaccessible when I was looking at the car)? Will my earlier Champion have similar mounts to the 59 Lark? Will it fit>

Andrew

Warren Webb
12-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Most likely the 65-66 mounts were used in putting in the 350. What year champion do you have? If its a 51 or later, the frame is practically the same, so the mounts would not be an issue.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Clover Green
12-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't know the precise date of my Champion, I haven't done a serial number check yet. I was told by the vendor (a reputable SDC fellow) that it came from a Weasel. That would make it pre '50.

Andrew

N8N
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
you'll likely need to source some sedan/lark frame mounts; not sure if the pieces on the Weasel are the same as a pass car Champion engine or not. Also depending on how the transmission was mounted you may have some work back there as well. I doubt you'll run into anything "unobtanium" though. You'll probably need to source the correct throttle linkage for your particular car and also the 3/OD is likely a short tail meaning you'll need to find a long tail transmission to swap in. No big deal though, those come up for sale fairly regularly and do not command a premium price (I don't know how many T-86 and T-96 trans I've looked at at swap meets thinking eventually someone's going to have to bring a T-85...)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

barnlark
12-04-2008, 10:28 PM
See the "After Thanksgiving Stude parts sale" on the Studebaker-Specific forum. He has two 289's in Michigan.