Conversion kit ordered today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion kit ordered today

I ordered a conversion kit for changing my 1950 Champion to a dual Master Cylinder today. It is coming from Turner Brakes. Has anyone reading this had any experience with making this change. Are there things that may be a problem that I should plan for. I ordered the 1976 Corvette M/C that is required for the changeover a week or so ago.

Any suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy
    Orleans, Ind.

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

I put 4-wheel discs on my 51, using Jim's kits, including the same MC you ordered. I cut out and replaced the access cover in the floor with a larger cover(that I made) in order to access the larger MC, and make it easy to add/check fluid. His kits worked fine, and he was especially helpful when I needed to call him for some tips. Be sure you use the check valves and proportioning valve properly, as per his instructions.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

I changed over my '62 Hawk with Jim's bracket, and origionally used the Jeep truck M/C. The install was pretty straight foreward, although I never was happy about checking and filling the M/C through the floor ( had to get under the car to remove the cap, then inside to look down into the M/C only to see very little of the 2nd chamber then under again to replace the cap) I replaced the Jeep M/C (2 weeks ago) with a Mitsubishi Eclipse M/C with remote fill. I'm now a happy boy. Check out Bob Johnstone's web site at http://www.studebaker-info.org/64v24...eclipseMC.html I got the remote res, and bracket at the local u-pull it yard for $6.00 and mounted it to the firewall near the battery. It's a very nice set-up, and well worth a look at Bob's website. I also have Jim's front disc kit and they work great too. Jim puts out realy good stuff. You made a wise choise, going with Jim's offerings. Hope this helps

Pat Skelly
      62 GT Hawk
      53 Studillac
      37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

Thanks for your taking time to respond to me. When I carpeted the car many years ago, rather than cut a hole in it I would use what we call a squirt can, used around a sawmill for oiling places hard to get to. They have a long nozzel and is curved on the end. Of course, I had to fill the M/C from below the car and carefully fill it till it began to run over over, but it worked fine. However, I am thinking about going with Pat Skelly's setup and make a little larger hole in the floorboard.

If I do this I will put some type of device that I can turn with a screwdriver that will cause projections to stick out from the bottom of the very thin cover, covered with matching carpeting so I can open it quite easily by making a tiny hole in the carpet through which to insert the screwdriver and yet be fairly certain that it will stay in place.

Thanks again!
        Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

I put 4-wheel discs on my 51, using Jim's kits, including the same MC you ordered. I cut out and replaced the access cover in the floor with a larger cover(that I made) in order to access the larger MC, and make it easy to add/check fluid. His kits worked fine, and he was especially helpful when I needed to call him for some tips. Be sure you use the check valves and proportioning valve properly, as per his instructions.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
        '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana

Comment

If you are going to use a 1995 Eclipse Maste Clyinder, make sure it is one WITH ABS and a 1 inch bore.

I picked up the remote and bad MC on E-bay for $6.00. Some stores will not sell you an Eclipse MC without a core exchange. Just get any Eclipse MC for the exchange. On my car there was no room for the remote reservoir so I mounted it to the battery hold down.

Jim's dual MC bracket should take you about 2 hours. Bleeding the brakes is another story.

Comment

I've used Jim's kits on a couple of different Studes, a 62 Champ truck,a 55 champion and a 57 GH that I added front disc brakes to. I needed to so some minor mods to the mc bracket to make it work, but that was minor. Be sure to use double flared brake lines.
            Yes, bleeding was an issue on all!
            I just ordered his front disc brake kit for a friends Champ truck.
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
            X