Are Hawks and speedsters built on the same chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Hawks and speedsters built on the same chassis

Since I havent bought a car yet, I've been tinkering with the idea of a custom. I like the front end on the 53-54 Speedsters, and the back end of the Silver/Golden Hawks. Would a Speedster front end bolt up to a Silver Hawk, or are they built on different platforms? Or as a second thought, would Silver Hawk fins fit on a Speedster body?

Terminology is everything in a print discussion:

1. The Speedster is a '55 only model, thus you probably like what are known as the '53-54 K-model hardtops.
    2. All the '53-62 K frames are very close. The fenders and hood from a '53-54 will bolt to a finned Hawk. The Hawk rear quarters, deck lid and fins can be added to a '53-54. (Be prepared for some differing opinions here. You will be a minority of one in thinking a '53-54 will look better with fins.) As always, your car, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

A simple yes to both. Speedster was only in 55, before that they were coupes or hardtops, Starlights or Starliners. After 55 they were some sort of Hawk.

All on the same platform that evolved slowly from 1953 to 1964.

[edit] Obviously I type to slowly. Facts is facts though. Doesn't matter who posts 'em.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

I had a '57 Silver Hawk one time.

I always preferred the Golden Hawk style fins. I picked up
        some '57 Golden Hawk fin stainless at South Bend one May for a
        good price. Not the whole fins, just the stainless. What I
        discovered was that you can cut the Silver Hawk fins to the
        Golden Hawk shape, using the trim as a pattern, and you've got
        yourself a set of Golden Hawk fins!

I painted that car black with the inside of the fins gold.
        Some of you may have seen it when the International Meet
        was in Indianapolis and we got to drive around the race track.

The last I new that car was in Minnesota.

Comment

I never noticed that Silver Hawk and Golden Hawk fins are different. I just assumed they were the same. Just goes to show that what they say about assuming is true.

Comment

Lets Be careful out there. With only 2215 Speedsters made in the one year of manufacture I find parts extrodinarily expensive. I've got a 64 Vette that I thought parts were costly until I checked on spares for my Speedster. IMHO

Come to think of it: perhaps one of many reasons they are costly is that people like me want spares !!!!!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Being a newbie, I get very confused between the models. For example, when looking at "the picture history of the Studebaker" websight, I think I am talking about the front end of a 53-54, and it would be one of the following: Commander Starliner, Commander Starlight, Champion Starliner, Champion Starlight. According to the photos, the front ends all look similar. And somewhere, I saw a photo labeled "55 Speedster" that looked like it had the same front end. I'm totally confused.

Comment

Of course you are confused. Someone replaced that speedster front clip with a 53/54 front clip. Its a bolt on switch. )And, I might add, a great improvement in my opinion.) The 55 front end suffered from the mid '50s chrome syndrome. If it didn't have 50 lbs of chrome on it, it wasn't enough. Look through the Member's Photos for some 55 front ends, they are all alike, and unique to the year. For that matter, look (very closely) at the front end of the red car in my signature. I painted over almost all the chrome and it still looks horrible.

Tom Bredehoft
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks Tom B. The front end I like, is the one on your yellow car, which I believe is the 53 Commander, correct?

Comment

Yes, the Ivory Mist coupe is a '53. You are in good company liking that model. I'd hazard a guess that half the Studebaker nuts share your (and my) views.

Tom Bredehoft
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                    X