Abatement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abatement

Recently, two gals drive up in a truck who works for the Ca. state and the county. They get out of their truck and state," Can we look at your property." Like a dummy, I said that is was ok. I had nothing to hide. Shortly afterward, I get a notice from the state and county about land erosion controls. So far, I have spent $10,000 to date. That was less than 30 days ago. I was told later that I did not have to let them on my property without a case number. Now I have lots of county officials coming and going on my property. Now, what do we do as classic car owners when the abatement sheriff come to yours and my property and tells me that we need to look on your property. Also, I was told that each county in Ca. get 7000 gas credits incentives to get your old car off the property. What do we do? I know we have discussed this matter before, but we need to talk about this again. Each county in Ca needs to generate more $$$$$ due to the bad economy.

I recomend that you donate your land to a tax-free church and move out of California.

Comment

I dont know about Ca specifically but I would tell anyone wanting access as a government official that I needed to see their warrant.No warrant,no access.Most reputable attorneys will give you a free consult and usually good advice.Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I guess everything's a trade-off. We may have Winter here to keep Studes in storage for half the year, but I have a license to keep cars here, and as long as I pay the yearly $50 fee, no one bothers me. Not only that, but I'm grandfathered in, and that grandfather status is forever transferable to any new owner, provided thae fee is paid each year. I figure since my son isn't interested I'll sell it to an old car enthusiast someday.

I wish you luck in fending off the anti-property rights Nazis[}]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

This may be better said over on the Stovehuggers Forum.

Yes Roy, the way I understand it, those Clean air "Points" can be used by the real polluters to avoid having to clean-up the stacks at their refineries! But that was the old "get the Polluters off of the road" program, and I thought the Association of Calif. Car Clubs made that go away, or it expired!

This must be a similar program involving Counties. [xx(] [}]

Pretty sad, when Government gets too involved in things they know nothing about! [xx(]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"
            I'm from the government and I'm here to help you." (No such thing)

Comment

George and I have a sign on the driveway (and every other road that is ajacent to his property) that states the following, 'This is PRIVATE PROPERTY. No trespassing is allowed by private individuals or government employees.'

Also, " Right to pass for private or government representatives is by previously arranged permission only and revocable at any time without notice! NO TRESPASSING!"

I was discussing this issue with a friend who happens to also be a lawyer and he suggested the verbage of these signs. He also said to never, ever, allow a government employee on your property without a warrant or legal writ issued by the court. Never, for any reason.

Now Roy, as to your situation, you've opened the genii's bottle. He needs to be stuffed back in and that's going to be difficult and (as you've found) expensive. DON'T allow these people to enter your property without trouble again! LOCK YOUR GATES AND KEEP THEM THAT WAY! Don't forget to lock the hinge posts to the gates. If you have chain link or any similar gate that's not welded together, they'll just take them apart. If they demand entrance, demand some kind of court order or warrant and refuse if they can't produce one. Lastly, get an intimidating dog. Not one that bites, just makes anyone who might otherwise climb the fence or mess with the gates think twice.

All of these things are the cost of living in the People's Republic Of California.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

"
                I'm from the government and I'm here to help you." (No such thing)
                And my response is, "How nice for you, now turn around and go back wherever you came from. Good day."

Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hey guy's, Bob Peterson was telling me about the 7000 credit just the other day. Since that day, I have posted signs which states, No Trespassing. My wife wants me to fence the whole ten acres. I have lots of work. I have neighbors who calls the county to gripe about me running my Bob Cat. He states that I am grading without a permit. I hear this is big problem in Eldorado county. I brought this to the forum because I have mainly Studebakers on my property. I collect 1950 to 1951 Bullet nose car. I have 10 currently.

Comment

Working...
                  X