Greyhound shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greyhound shipping

I'm selling a Lark front fender to a party in Texas and sending it via Greyhound. I took the fender there yesterday so I could establish what shipping costs were going to be. It turns out, $60 bucks from central California to central Texas.
    While the gal at the bus station had the pertinent figures factored in on her computer, I asked: "What if I wanted to send this to, oh, say, Buffalo New York?"

A couple more keystrokes and she answered: "Still 60 bucks!"

I asked further: "Can these things go naked? Unwrapped?"

"Most folks just put some bubble-wrap on them and they're good to go."[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

When I saw your heading I thought that you were putting a dog into a crate to send it somewhere <G>.

I am surprised that the price didn't change. I would think that there would have to be some bus transfers as well as the distance difference to factor in.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yeah, if I had such a dog, I'd wanna ship it "somewhere". I'm not fond of four-legged pets of any sort.[}] ALL my immeadiate neighbors have at least 4 dogs each (we won't even talk about the da*ned cats!). There are days where it sounds like I live next to a kennel!

I too was surprized by what the gal told me, but she's handled my shipments in the past, so I figure she knows what she's doing. I know if I'd had such a piece to go to NY, she'd have taken it and my 60 bucks and it'd been on it's way by now.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have had fenders, doors and tailgates shipped this way and they were just wrapped in carboard. No problems. It is by far the best way to ship large itams.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I've never really had the chance to ship much Grayhound. Grayhound does not service much of Michigan north of Kalamazoo, so one must pay a reginal bus line to take it down there.

Comment

Bob , I had a R series truck fender shipped from Vegas to Niles , Mich on Greyhound and it was just wrapped in shrinkwrap ....came OK and was about that same price and that was probably 6 years ago !

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I've used Greyhound too. All I did was wrap the fenders I was sending in some plastic and bubblewrap. Cheap and easy - especially for items like fenders.

Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              '60 Lark HT
              '63 Wagonaire
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I'm confused, Bob- didn't you try to send fenders to someone a year or so ago and weren't able to? As I recall you spent a lot of time wrapping and prepping them for shipping only to be turned away; soured you on ever doing it again. Is that the case, or did I remember it wrong?

Either way it's good news to see this is now a viable possibility[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I've used Greyhound PackageXpress for motorcycle frames.

Just keep in mind, most items can not exceed 100 pounds -although some routes will do up to 150 -and the dimension maximums are 30 inches X 47 inches X 82 inches.

You can track your stuff online just like with the big boys, and they a far easier to deal with large item-wise. Plus they handle items much more carefully.

Comment

bams, you remember right. That incident played out like it did because I wasn't aware that Greyhound no longer shipped across borders. The fella that wanted them was in Canada.[B)] I found this out only after I'd prepped them for shipping.[V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

Comment

Ah.... it was the Canada thing.... I remember now.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Greyhound will ship items over a hundred pounds. Though not much over that. The dimensions must fit into the cargo bays under the newer buses. Also, if the item is over a hundred pounds it must be arranged for in advance so that the route may be planned, be delivered to a major terminal (Los Angeles, Phoenix, New York, St. Louis, etc...), be destined to a major terminal, and lastly an excess weight charge must be paid.

The company is limited by the size of the bus' cargo/luggage bay. Only the newer buses can handle really heavy or bulky items. Even they have their limitations though. After all, it's a bus, not a UPS truck.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Doesn't sound like you guys are up to date in hauling freight down there.

Up here, in Canada, the Greyhound lines drag a big cargo trailer behind them. Been doing it for three years or so. A great way to haul people and freight all in the same trip. Very efficient!

Dave D.
                          '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
                          '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
                          Dave D.
                          '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
                          '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Dave, I started work with Greyhound in '01 and they were hauling those trailers around Canada back then. Had been doing so for some time, I was told. There are two problems in the United States with such a thing. First, it isn't legal for an inter-state motorcoach to haul a trailer. This is something that Greyhound has been working on for some time. Also, I personally would never want to drive such a rig. Greyhound equipment in this country is so poorly maintained, that they can hardly stop themselves let alone six thousand pounds or so of freight in a trailer. I understand that the equipment is better kept up in Canada.

I no longer 'ride the dog', THANK GOD! From time to time though, I check in with my friends who do.

Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                            X