Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark hood question

Will a '61 Lark hood fit on a '63?

If not, could it work by using a '61 header panel?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

61 lark hood will fit on a 63 and line up with body seams. Only issue would be the hood hold-open support rods.

Comment

Thanks Kent. That's what I wanted to know.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I believe that it will fit with the '61 front panel, but it will not be correct (different shape to top surface). Just get the correct '63 hood and sell the one year '61 hood to someone that has a '61.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The 61' hood will definitely "not" fit a 63'. I know because my 63' Cruiser came with a 61' hood with louvers grafted onto the hood for a resto-rod look. Did not line up along the front panel. I did get the original in the sale and sold the 61' to a fellow @ York in 06'. You definitely need the 61' front panel, but I can't say for sure that it will nicely mate to the 63'front......

Comment

Matthew,

If you think about it, the cowl of the 61-66 bodies are pretty identical. I once put a 64 front end on a 62 body

I did a little bit of tweeking to get a 61 hood to work on a 62. I removed the brackets from a 62 hood and welded them into a 61 hood since the 61 hood used one torsion bar while the 62 used two. My 61 hood had some damage that may have had something to do with the single torsion bar and owner abuse. In retrospect I should have just cut off the extra torsion bar bracket from the 62 hood and welded it to the 61 hood crossmember. Why do the easy thing when you can do some extra work and learn something

Since I have not properly lined up the hood, I cannot tell for sure about the fit up by the grille panel. The 61 hood may be a bit "taller" in the area right and left of the hood latch area by a fraction of an inch.

My aim is to eventually cross a single headlamp 61 grille shell with a center section of a 62 grille shell. I just have to figure out the best way to do it

Someday I plan on making a hood scoop on the 61 hood... I need to figure out the slope of the hood vs the "levelness" of the raised center section to put an intake up front. Two long triangular pieces and a bit of welding, what could be easier

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
            The Replacements.
            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
            The Replacements.

Comment

I know one will fit. I had a 61 hood on a 62 black daytona convertible I used to have. It fit.

Comment

I've got a straight '62 hood with really crappy peeling paint here. It's yours if we can find a way to get it to you.

Ron

Ron Dame
                '63 Champ
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

I bought a 63 Daytona with a 61 hood and front panel once. NT

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

I bought a 63 Daytona with a 61 hood and front panel once. NT
                    Now, I wonder what car that was....

I know that my car had a '61 front panel with the '63 fenders, but wasn't sure about the hood.

I've got a decent '63 hood, and theres several good ones laying around the shop. I just really like the look of the '61 hood.

Here's Mom with the car back in '85.

I want to keep the '63 fenders and header panel, but use a '61 hood.

I gave up on originality a LONG time ago. I'm building this car the way I want it.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Anyone have a nice, solid used or NOS '61 Lark hood for cheap?

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I have a very nice 61 hood, but I'm way out here in California. Any ideas?

sals54
                        sals54

Comment

Matthew, I'll ask and see around here. Club party this Sunday. One guy drives a semi-truck to Atlanta often.

Comment

Sal, I know it costs a hunnert bucks to ship a rust free trunk floor from Michigan. Not sure what a hood from California would cost, and not sure I wanna know...[B)]

Dave, let me know what you find. Thanks!

Mike, if it comes down to it, I'll have you hold me one until I get out to WA sometime. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                            X